Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews Named To NHL All-Star Game

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Is there a rookie's game this year? Would be awkward (and fun) to see Marner playing with the kids and Matthews playing with the big guys.

Also - any reason why Neilson, and not Zetterberg, is going to the game as Detroit's representative?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I thought Scheifele would have made it over Laine.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This is why the All-Star game is a joke. The rule that every team has to have a participant is BS. I'd rather watch Marner than most of those forwards in the Atlantic except for Matthews and Kucherov.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is why the All-Star game is a joke. The rule that every team has to have a participant is BS. I'd rather watch Marner than most of those forwards in the Atlantic except for Matthews and Kucherov.

All Bias set aside.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
NHL wants the All Star game to be exciting and bring in new fans. They then proceed to take Neilsen and Okposo over Marner...

NHL logic right there.

I know there's the team rep rule. I just think it's stupid.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
NHL wants the All Star game to be exciting and bring in new fans. They then proceed to take Neilsen and Okposo over Marner...

NHL logic right there.

I know there's the team rep rule. I just think it's stupid.

they should have selected Larkin or Mantha over Nielsen and Eichel over Okposo if they really cared about excitement and representation. The NHL is prone to dumb decisions because they're out of touch

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty funny cause wasn't Matthews not even on the all-star ballot a few months ago at the start of the season?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
CONGRATS...!! :handclap:

2KBliK9.jpg

Auston Matthews
Forward -- shoots L
Born Sep 17 1997 -- Scottsdale, AZ
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.03 -- Weight 216

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 USNTDP Juniors - USHL
24 Games... 20 Goals... 28 Assists... 48 Points... +20 *2PPG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15 U.S. National U18 Team - USDP
60 Games... 55 Goals... 61 Assists... 116 Points... +18 *PPG+
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15 U.S.A. National U18 Team - WJC U-18
7 Games... 8 Goals... 7 Assists... 15 Points... +11 PPG+
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15 U.S.A. National U20 Team - WJC U-20
5 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... +/- 0
---------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 *ZSC Lions - NLA (*Zurich, Switzerland)
5 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... 0
2015-16 U.S.A. National U-20 Team - WJC U-20
7 Games... 7 Goals... 4 Assists... 11 Points... +6 *PPG+
2015-16 Team U.S.A. - WC
10 Games... 6 Goals... 3 Assists... 9 Points... +/- 0
*2016-17 - Team U.S.A. - World Cup Of Hockey
3 Games... 2 Goals... 1 Assist... 3 Points... +2
*2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
39 Games... 21 Goals... 14 Assists... 35 Points... +4

Clips include: All 21 of Auston's first season goals.. in the 1st Half of the 2016-17 season, ... and various other 2016-17 season photos & clips...; two shoot-out goals..; one sweet assist... and various other 2016 clips and photos..

*Sidenote: Before I get any flack from the disgruntled.., I know that I have used this song twice recently.., but I had a few requests for Priest w/Auston... and even though I deleted many of the replays, ..this song just fit..., so... "it was meant to be".. :)

Another Goal Comin': Auston Matthews - 1st 21 Season Goals - TML 2016-17 (HD)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pretty funny cause wasn't Matthews not even on the all-star ballot a few months ago at the start of the season?

That is because of Lou Lam sheltering the rookies, and prevented it earlier.

However he deserves to be there on merit and its good Lou is letting him go.

Also he has full bonuses in his ELC and All-Star game likely triggers one so this could have been an issue with the NHLPA.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
This 1 representative per team is really dumb. It made sense back when there were 21 teams in the NHL. It makes no sense in a 30 team league. Just get the best and most star-studded players, regardless of team.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Also he has full bonuses in his ELC and All-Star game likely triggers one so this could have been an issue with the NHLPA.

Does he have a say in the matter?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Having Nielsen and Okposo in a game like this is a joke. Why not take Mantha and Eichel at least, grow the future of the game if they're going to have these rules.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Does he have a say in the matter?

On Leafs lunch recently (Dreger or Mackenzie) they discussed this that Lou was the one that insisted Matthews (or any Leaf rookie) was not on the All-Star Ballot. Teams were approached when the ballots were being prepared.

Its one of those many Lou self imposed rules, but seeing how well Matthews has done with the media and the pressure in TO, that Lou apparently consented and decided to bend his own rule in this matter for Auston's sake.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
On Leafs lunch recently (Dreger or Mackenzie) they discussed this that Lou was the one that insisted Matthews (or any Leaf rookie) was not on the All-Star Ballot. Teams were approached when the ballots were being prepared.

Its one of those many Lou self imposed rules, but seeing how well Matthews has done with the media and the pressure in TO, that Lou apparently consented and decided to bend his own rule in this matter for Auston's sake.

If he doesnt let Auston go, Auston would also get suspended, Lou really didnt have much of a choice tbh.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Isn't it a league rule that the Leafs have a representative?

I don't think Lou Lam had any say in this, the ballot is a different matter.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Having Nielsen and Okposo in a game like this is a joke. Why not take Mantha and Eichel at least, grow the future of the game if they're going to have these rules.

The trio of Okposo, Nielsen and Trocheck make our divisions roster look bad.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Actual Deserving Atlantic Team

Matthews - Kucherov
Karlsson

VanRyk - Marner
Hedman

Pacioretty - Stone
Weber

Price
Rask

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Eichel has played 18 games that is less than 50% of the sabres games it would be more of a farce if they picked him.

edit: and Larkin has 15 points in 40 games doesn't scream all star to me
you said Mantha not larkin that was someone else he at least could be made to be dserving but has still only played 25 games

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Actual Deserving Atlantic Team

Matthews - Kucherov
Karlsson

VanRyk - Marner
Hedman

Pacioretty - Stone
Weber

Price
Rask

Yep would have been nice to see Marner in there .. Marner in a 3 on 3 game would be incredibly entertaining to watch

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

The earlier ballot had nothing to do with who was sent to the All-Star game, if I'm not mistaken. It was simply to determine who the Captains would be.

Leaf handler

Mar 12, 2016
Does anybody know how the teams were actually picked???

Fans voted for captains but how were players selected? I find it hard to believe Matthews got enough votes considering the length the NHL went to hide the 'write-in' option on the vote form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad