Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews Named To NHL All-Star Game

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
marner's new nickname will be "voldemort" because he is magic...
and also it was he who wasnt named :sarcasm:

i will see myself out

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews has a base contract of $975k on his ELC and his All-Star team appointment just triggered and earned him a $212,500 contract bonus.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matthews has a base contract of $975k on his ELC and his All-Star team appointment just triggered and earned him a $212,500 contract bonus.

are you still surprised Lou Lam allowed him to go?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

i will see myself out

I think he should be Harry Potter. Laine should be voldermort especially on HF leafs,
and Marner will defeat Laine (be better than).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

he has also already hit/going to hit a bunch of the other targets. I think there is one for 20 goals, there is for sure one fro leading the team in goals, assists and points. Top 5 in ice time, He will likely hit every bonus he can possibly get A & B

edit: so he will get max $$ I think is 3.75M?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
are you still surprised Lou Lam allowed him to go?

I've never been surprised.

TSN Insiders reported that Lou Lam attempted initially to shelter his youth in their rookies seasons from these big media events for their benefit, among his own many self imposed rules.

The All-star ballots that went out apparently didn't have Matthews as a voting option to the voting public, only Leafs vets JVR, Reilly, Andersen appeared as valid options, which Lou had a say in authorizing.

However being named to the All-Star Team as Toronto's representative is well deserved, and because as I noted earlier the bonus cause triggered in his contract would guarantee the NHLPA be involved, and all but insures Matthews gets paid and gets to attend, even if Lou Lam personally would have liked him not to be involved initially. The NHLPA would certainly file a grievance against Toronto if they willfully attempted to block a player from earning a bonus in their contract, over personal beliefs of the GM.

Matthews demonstrated maturity and ability to handle the Toronto media and pressure likely has relieved Lou of some of his earlier concerns.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
he has also already hit/going to hit a bunch of the other targets. I think there is one for 20 goals, there is for sure one fro leading the team in goals, assists and points. Top 5 in ice time, He will likely hit every bonus he can possibly get A & B

Matthews is clearly harry potter.
His dad looks like James potter and his mom is attractive.
He was also the chosen one (as in pick number 1)
Yes this is probably going too far.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I've never been surprised.

TSN Insiders reported that Lou Lam attempted initially to shelter his youth in their rookies seasons from these big media events for their benefit, among his own many self imposed rules.

The All-star ballots that went out apparently didn't have Matthews as a voting option to the voting public, only Leafs vets JVR, Reilly, Andersen appeared as valid options, which Lou had a say in authorizing.

However being named to the All-Star Team as Toronto's representative is well deserved, and because as I noted earlier the bonus cause triggered in his contract would guarantee the NHLPA be involved, and all but insures Matthews gets paid and gets to attend, even if Lou Lam personally would have liked him not to be involved initially. The NHLPA would certainly file a grievance against Toronto if they willfully attempted to block a player from earning a bonus in their contract, over personal beliefs of the GM.

Matthews demonstrated maturity and ability to handle the Toronto media and pressure likely has relieved Lou of some of his earlier concerns.

I'd think the league would have suspended Mathews if he skipped the game. No different than when players in the past tried skipping the game. Players had to be injured to be excused.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

i will see myself out

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Who was our representative last year? Uncle Leo ?

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009

There are some bonuses I think for awards like Hart Trophy nominated, Maurice Richard winner etc. so although I think he will get a vast majority of these bonuses, it will be difficult to get the full cap bonus.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
There are some bonuses I think for awards like Hart Trophy nominated, Maurice Richard winner etc. so although I think he will get a vast majority of these bonuses, it will be difficult to get the full cap bonus.

Players can also only receive a certain amount of bonuses. They're broken into two categories (A and B), with multiple goals/targets that can be hit in either, but a player can only "claim" something like 4 category A bonuses and 1 category B bonus.

So he doesn't need to hit all of the goals set for him in order to receive full bonuses.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd think the league would have suspended Mathews if he skipped the game. No different than when players in the past tried skipping the game. Players had to be injured to be excused.

Its not Matthews that would be choosing to skip, it would be Leafs management attempting to not let him play in the event.

The distinction is an important difference here. Matthews never said he didn't/wouldn't play it was Lou that preferred he didn't in an attempt to shelter his young players, which he believed was in their best interest.

The league (as per preexisting rules) would likely force Matthews to miss a regular season game if he wasn't there regardless of who fault or reason it was. This is however irrelevant however because Lou is not going to prevent Matthews from going, even if he prefer he wasn't, so there is no problem here. :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Its not Matthews that would be choosing to skip, it would be Leafs management attempting to not let him play in the event.

The distinction is an important difference here. Matthews never said he didn't/wouldn't play it was Lou that preferred he didn't in an attempt to shelter his young players, which he believed was in their best interest.

The league (as per preexisting rules) would likely force Matthews to miss a regular season game if he wasn't there regardless of who fault or reason it was. This is however irrelevant however because Lou is not going to prevent Matthews from going, even if he prefer he wasn't, so there is no problem here. :)

Maybe I missed it but how do we know Lou Lam's preference on this?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

The real reason it's irrelevant is because Lou couldn't keep him from going even if he did want to. Any further argument only gets worse when you add in the fact that Lamoriello believes that the All-Star weekend will be a "tremendous benefit to him".

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

While he doesn't make any "preference" clear, here are his thoughts on Matthews attending the event:

Lamoriello clarified Tuesday that Matthews taking part in the all-star game is “absolutely not†an issue. In fact, Lamoriello believes the experience could be a “tremendous benefit†to Matthews’ off-ice development.

"When someone like Auston goes to an all-star game, there are a lot of players there – in fact most of the players there he has been watching growing up as he’s been maturing as an individual – he’ll have an opportunity to see how they handle themselves," Lamoriello said. "He’ll be able to first hand see what the result is of how they handle themselves, how they speak, where the humility is, what affects him, so I think there’s a tremendous amount of what you can bring from there as far as the learning process and development…I think it’s going to be a tremendous benefit to him."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lamoriello-wants-protect-matthews-marner-media-distractions/

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Matthews is clearly harry potter.
His dad looks like James potter and his mom is attractive.
He was also the chosen one (as in pick number 1)
Yes this is probably going too far.

Yes, but Matthews isn't a one-trick (or one spell) pony like Potter. He also has better vision xD

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Auston Matthews a likely all-star, despite Lamoriello’s preference

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-likely-star-despite-lamoriellos-preference/

Would Leafs allow Auston Matthews to participate in all-star game?

There’s been some thought that Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello won’t allow his rookies to participate in the 2017 All-Star Game in Los Angeles as a means of shielding them from the public eye, though Sportsnet’s Hockey Night in Canada panel tampered those concerns on Saturday’s Headlines.Lamoriello's attempts to protect his young stars from the potentially draining demands of playing in Toronto are admirable, if a bit extraneous, though it does not appear as though the GM would actually go as far as to prevent a player from playing in such a marquee event.

[/B]http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-allow-auston-matthews-participate-star-game/

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Auston Matthews a likely all-star, despite Lamoriello’s preference

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/auston-matthews-likely-star-despite-lamoriellos-preference/

Would Leafs allow Auston Matthews to participate in all-star game?

There’s been some thought that Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello won’t allow his rookies to participate in the 2017 All-Star Game in Los Angeles as a means of shielding them from the public eye, though Sportsnet’s Hockey Night in Canada panel tampered those concerns on Saturday’s Headlines.Lamoriello's attempts to protect his young stars from the potentially draining demands of playing in Toronto are admirable, if a bit extraneous, though it does not appear as though the GM would actually go as far as to prevent a player from playing in such a marquee event.

[/B]http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-allow-auston-matthews-participate-star-game/

You really are, well, a Mess today. Look 3 posts up from yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad