Speculation: Auston Matthews goal/points total 2018-2019 season

How many goals/points 2018-2019

• Total voters

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
he could but according to Dubas he and Marner have already promised to give the team big discounts like Willie has to make "it fit"

If Matthews career best by the end of his elc was (lol) 20 goals/60 points, nobody would care that much about him one way or the other. He'd be VERY much expendable.

But 40 goal rookie Matthews? Ppg sophomore year Matthews? Tis insulting to compare him to a (lol) 20 goal/60 point guy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Hawks scored 6 so the Leafs should not try and score 7 because it's stats padding? Always someone to spoil the fun! Since the Leafs have not played structured hockey since Jesus was a baby I'll take the barn burners where Leafs can outscore any team and win the games. They are a lot more exciting and fun to watch, that's my kind of hockey. GO LEAFS GO.

Did the Hawks score 6 because we played so poor defensively? Is our tending so bad?

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Did the Hawks score 6 because we played so poor defensively? Is our tending so bad?
no

Two problems I see and no one has to agree.

1. The Leafs goalie coach (Steve Briere) has never played NHL or even AHL level but here he is instructing the Leafs net minders on how to play goal. Makes no sense to anyone except the person who hired Briere. they Need a proven NHL goalie coach. Freddie goes down on every shot and most goals he allows are over his shoulder. If I were Babcock I would would send out a D and tell Freddie " coach says to "STAND THE EF UP "
if it happens again he should send out a D man and tell Freddie " Coach says to go and " SIT THE EF DOWN "
problem solved!

2. For 3 years now D.J. Smith has been the defensive coach, in all that time I have not seen any improvement none, nada, zilch, Mr. Smith has played a grand total of 45 games in the NHL just a few more games than Travis Dermott at 40, but here he is teaching defense when he himself could not make the NHL as a D man. He needs to go and and they have to hire someone that can actually coach the D. There are plenty of ex NHL D-men that would probably take the job and help, IE Scott Stevens!!! He is a Leaf fan and lives close by.

These two problems above all else have to be addressed and improved on. Trading Nylander for a right handed D-man is NOT going to change a thing and we may even lose the trade ( Hall - Larson anyone?) no thanks.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
no

Two problems I see and one has to agree.

1. The Leafs goalie coach (Steve Briere) has never played NHL or even AHL level but here he is instructing the Leafs net minders on how to play goal. Makes no sense to anyone except the person who hired Briere. they Need a proven NHL goalie coach. Freddie goes down on every shot and most goals he allows are over his shoulder. If I were Babcock I would would send out a D and tell Freddie " coach says to "STAND THE EF UP "
if it happens again he should send out a D man and tell Freddie " Coach says to go and " SIT THE EF DOWN "
problem solved!

2. For 3 years now D.J. Smith has been the defensive coach, in all that time I have not seen any improvement none, nada, zilch, Mr. Smith has played a grand total of 45 games, just a few more games than Travis Dermott at 40, but here he is teaching defense when he himself could not make the NHL as a D man. He needs to go and and they have to hire someone that can actually coach the D.

These two problems above all else have to be addressed and improved on. Trading Nylander for a right handed D-man is NOT going to change a thing and we may even lose the trade ( Hall - Larson anyone?) no thanks.

I 100% agree with your two problems cited. I have beaten the DJ Smith thing to death for over a year as well. I agree with you but I think my points stand 1 and 2 are the reasons they scored 6 in the first place.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I 100% agree with your two problems cited. I have beaten the DJ Smith thing to death for over a year as well. I agree with you but I think my points stand 1 and 2 are the reasons they scored 6 in the first place.

The old saying, do the best with what you have. Not much more you can do if the brass can not see this, so pond hockey it is.........for now.

EDIT; Yes that's why they scored 6 in the first place.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am so glad I predicted a 90-100 point season 2 years ago when the rest of HF (mostly non-Leaf fans) were calling me insane for it. Matthews is insane and he got faster AND IMPROVED HIS SHOT. He's going to torch the league this year.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Mar 26, 2010
I am so glad I predicted a 90-100 point season 2 years ago when the rest of HF (mostly non-Leaf fans) were calling me insane for it. Matthews is insane and he got faster AND IMPROVED HIS SHOT. He's going to torch the league this year.
I believe you are right. It looks like Matthews is going to literally take the NHL over!

About that shot... it is ridiculous. It might be better than Laine's now. Whatever Auston did in the off season, it is evident he put the work in!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
no

problem solved!

2. For 3 years now D.J. Smith has been the defensive coach, in all that time I have not seen any improvement none, nada, zilch, Mr. Smith has played a grand total of 45 games, just a few more games than Travis Dermott at 40, but here he is teaching defense when he himself could not make the NHL as a D man. He needs to go and and they have to hire someone that can actually coach the D. There are plenty of ex NHL D-men that would probably take the job and help, IE Scott Stevens!!! He is a Leaf fan and lives close by.

Can’t agree more

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I don't care how early in the season it is. This is a beautiful sight.
Screenshot_2018-10-09-01-23-04.png

Reactions: Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I was a little annoyed about his deployment in last game. 4 points in like 17 mins. Tavares, who was also great, meanwhile played like 21 mins. Only like 1.5 mins of which was PK. Auston 5 on 5 should get as many minutes or more than anyone else.

Reactions: authentic

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
no

problem solved!

Without knowing what Briere is instructing vs what the execution is, the greatest goalie coach in the game is Mitch Korn and he's never played in the NHL either. A generation ago, it was Francois Allaire. You don't need to play in the NHL to be a great coach.

Mar 26, 2010
Should have had a 60 goal option on the poll at the rate Matthews is scoring.

Incredible.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
49g/39a/88pts

Although I'd love to see...

55g/40a/95pts

His release is disgusting.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
if Rielly scores 80 points this season remember the rest of the hockey world will say he had a lucky season. And still not be considered a solid num 1 lolll

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Well, I guess I'm part of the exclusive club who correctly guessed over 100+ points

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
if Rielly scores 80 points this season remember the rest of the hockey world will say he had a lucky season. And still not be considered a solid num 1 lolll

The Leafs will have 3 bad games and Babcock will replace Rielly on the top PP unit - book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad