Speculation: Auston Matthews goal/points total 2018-2019 season

How many goals/points 2018-2019

• Total voters

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'll give it a month before the main boards fall into complete damage-control mode regarding Matthews.

"What are you talking about!? We all knew Matthews was a top-10 player in the world, he gets tons of credit around here! f*** off with all the Matthews threads (90% started by non-leafs fans). Omg leafs fans with their victim complex!"

Mar 26, 2010
I'll give it a month before the main boards fall into complete damage-control mode regarding Matthews.

"What are you talking about!? We all knew Matthews was a top-10 player in the world, he gets tons of credit around here! **** off with all the Matthews threads (90% started by non-leafs fans). Omg leafs fans with their victim complex!"
So true!!! Edmonton, Winnipeg and Vancouver fans especially hate Matthews. It is hilarious.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

"What are you talking about!? We all knew Matthews was a top-10 player in the world, he gets tons of credit around here! **** off with all the Matthews threads (90% started by non-leafs fans). Omg leafs fans with their victim complex!"

They’ve got one more month to undercut him, before then it’ll be undeniable

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

I'm a bit worried that Matthews will have to do most of the heavy lifting by himself on his line with a soon to be euro league player and a 40 year old dude. Ennis was as expected invisible in game 1. If nylander holds out long I hold we give him kapanen or johnsson to try and add som speed and skill to his wings.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm a bit worried that Matthews will have to do most of the heavy lifting by himself on his line with a soon to be euro league player and a 40 year old dude. Ennis was as expected invisible in game 1. If nylander holds out long I hold we give him kapanen or johnsson to try and add som speed and skill to his wings.
Something Matthews will have to get used to his being the primary puck carrier and puck handler. He should be more of a volume shooter without Nylander to defer to. Matthews catches on quick though, and he'll be dangerous no matter what. Plus that awesome first PP unit will be huge, he'll rack up tons of points there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

If that happens it would be just like the way they claim Phil Kessel is a great player. The only difference is Matthews would not be traded before he gets talked about in a positive way from those on the main board.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Something Matthews will have to get used to his being the primary puck carrier and puck handler. He should be more of a volume shooter without Nylander to defer to. Matthews catches on quick though, and he'll be dangerous no matter what. Plus that awesome first PP unit will be huge, he'll rack up tons of points there.
Isn't that something Matthews did a few times last season? Look his overtime winner against Chicago where he skated with the puck into their end and did not try to pass it over to Gardiner.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I selfishly hope he doesn't score too many more than 90 points and 45 goals, otherwise he'd have a real case for over 12m AAV.
I'm good with Matthews at 12m... he is worth it, he drives the whole team. If he gets 12m, its because he is producing at a rate worthy of it.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Going to say 53 goals and 47 assists (by virtue of not having Hyman on his line). Narrowly achieving 100 points. PP with Marner, no Hyman and a presumably healthy season.

Jun 27, 2005
Marleau had 47 points last year and Hyman had 40.

Ennis had 22 points and was bought out vs. Nylander who had 62 points.

I believe Ennis vs Nylander is the deciding factor from me.

Nylander had 3 goals and 8 assists in 20 games when Matthews was out. He's at best a 50 point player without Matthews. Matthews adds 15 points to a player give or take so Marleau is the new Nylander and Ennis is the new Hyman. We'll see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander had 3 goals and 8 assists in 20 games when Matthews was out. He's at best a 50 point player without Matthews. Matthews adds 15 points to a player give or take so Marleau is the new Nylander and Ennis is the new Hyman. We'll see.

Hope this experiment is a short one and Nylander returns sooner rather than later.

Hyman is now tasked with helping Tavares reach +40 goals with Marner.

Reactions: Menzinger

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Nylander had 9 even strength points in the 20 games that Matthews missed. Over a full season that equals to 45 even strength points, 4 less than what he eventually got.

Here's our even strength leaders for those 20 games that Matthews missed.
Marner 12p
Marleau 10p
Nylander 9p
JVR 8p

Nylander got about the same amount of evp on average without Matthews. It's still a very small sample size but Nylander held his own at even strength while Matthews was out.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Found Matthews interview on tsn today interesting

"We don't necessarily have to work harder. We need to work smarter "

Contrasts a bit with what Babs preaches (ie placing work ethic in front of skill)

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Honestly, at this point, it seems like 40 is his base mark. I see a 50-45-95 season in his this year.

It'd be nice if Nylander came back right away though.

I would love that. I agree that 40 would be a good season albeit expected at this point. over 105-112 goals for our Centre's would be remarkable

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
the 40 year old dude made one hell of a pass in OT. But yeah Id rather see Kappy there then Ennis

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

I don't know about that, people on the main boards still refuse to admit that Matthews is a legitimate Rocket Richard trophy candidate, the delusion which is rooted in bitterness and jealously is off the charts. Matthews could post a 50 goal, 45 assist, 95 point season and they will still claim he doesn't belong anywhere near the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad