Dreger: "Auston Matthews 100% is not going anywhere."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah, let's just pretend that he wasn't going to pass 50 goals in both of the covid shortened seasons. Never change HF
You actually have to hit 50, to say you scored 50 in a season.

Matthews has done that once.

No it’s not dumb. 106 works out to a 119 full season amount.

He was also scoring at a 67 goal clip as well.

He is also one of very very few players to score 50 goals in 50 games.

So yes he is worth $15 if not $16.

An elite player like Matthews is not taking a basic 10% pay raise to 13M as that would be the exact equivalent of what kind of raise he would expect on a minimum raise from a qualifying offer.

To other teams especially Chicago Matthews right now at 16.00m paired with Bedard who will make rookie salary for 3 years is definitely worth it.

That 16m has them giving up absolutely no assets in exchange for a top 5 offensive talent.

As it is Toronto must give up one of Matthews or Nylander. I’d move Nylander all day as I’d never give Nylander a bigger payday than Tkachuk.

Toronto is screwd though. Previous GM overpaid them initially now they want more.

Toronto then hired the worlds cheapest GM who thinks he’s smarter than every player and their agent.

News Flash Maple Leafs still need to solidify goaltending and have aging D men that are past their prime.

I really think the Maple Leafs should have been targeting the Coyotes.

Some like Crouse and Vejmelka for Nylander and Murray.

It would have allowed the maple leafs to get out from under the salary cap hell they are in. They would have solidified their goaltending while adding a solid power forward.

All Toronto cares about though is trying to get more back than Nylander is worth.

On any other team you won’t see Nylander come close to sniffing 40 goals.

You take the high end talent and play drivers away and magically he’s a 25g 70-75pt Top6.

It’s a complimentary piece on any team.

You don’t pay a complimentary piece 10m. And if. Nylander wants 10m+ in what world does Matthews take $12 to 12.5.

Matthews at a basement bargain will be $14.25.
Who cares?

He didn't put up those numbers. Is Matthews helping the Leafs while he's in the press box due to injuries?

• Haha
Reactions: Leafs1993

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON

Do you think that if it weren't for two shortened seasons he wouldn't have hit that three times? Do you think he can't do it again? I think we have enough of a sample size to conclude Matthew's is one of the best goal scorers in the league.

It might not fit the narrative your trying to spin, but matthews has the most goals since entering the league in 2016-2017 season. Trying to say he doesn't deserve to have a label as a 50-60 goal scorer is just flat out wrong.

Reactions: Drew311

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Do you think that if it weren't for two shortened seasons he wouldn't have hit that three times? Do you think he can't do it again? I think we have enough of a sample size to conclude Matthew's is one of the best goal scorers in the league.

It might not fit the narrative your trying to spin, but matthews has the most goals since entering the league in 2016-2017 season. Trying to say he doesn't deserve to have a label as a 50-60 goal scorer is just flat out wrong.
Constantly shifting the goal post. He comes 3 goals shy of 50 whole only playing 70 games, "on pace doesn't count", he gets 50 goals, "he's only done it once". And don't forget to only look at points and ignore games played and take away any context

Reactions: Leafs1993

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Constantly shifting the goal post. He comes 3 goals shy of 50 whole only playing 70 games, "on pace doesn't count", he gets 50 goals, "he's only done it once". And don't forget to only look at points and ignore games played and take away any context
Then there is the argument that he is declining now, can't possibly do it again. This site sometimes is unbearable.

Reactions: PainForShane

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Matthews just looks and dressed like a guy who is into showing off a bit. From shoes to clothes, he’s into that stuff. Imo he’s into showing off his paycheque too. He’s going to get max cap. It’s what he wants. Then (imo) he can wave that as a show off flag.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023

Who cares?

He didn't put up those numbers. Is Matthews helping the Leafs while he's in the press box due to injuries?
Sorry the NHL even states it he scored 50 goals in a 50 game segment in the regular season.

What’s funny.

Maple Leafs fans are like our players are the best!!!

Time to re-sign them and buy UFA years and those same fans are saying…

Matthews is Ok but really he doesn’t deserve a 20% raise which by the way is incredibly common amount to go from RFA to UFA.

You need to remember here. The moment Matthews hits that UFA status he belongs to nobody and when you are buying UFA years you are literally buying an asset that is in theory free.

This is where drafting Top 3 and specifically 1OA picks has its negative downside.

You aren’t going to find many players quite frankly if any who actually care if they play their entire career with a single team.

End of the day dollars in their bank and their retirement is what matters.

Low end players just want to eeeek out a 3-5 year existence to try to collect on the NHLPA retirement plan.

You think a $2 million Salary is sweet even for a 3-4th liner.

It’s until you realize almost 60% or more of that number is paid out to taxes, recapture, retirement, agent fees, insurance to secure their income in case of horrific injury and then you tack on how impossible it is for even the 3-4th line guys to lead a normal life.

Seriously. We see McDavid in Vegas with his girlfriend and now Fiancé.

The moment every idiot realizes it’s McDavid they want pictures with him or her. They basically have a screwd social life.

It’s just cute how people think 2m and even 13m is a lot of money. When you piss away 6 million out of 10 million paid it hurts and hurts bad.

It’s why you should never push kids into professional sports unless it’s what they want.

Minor league is I’m even worse. Unt recent minor league baseball players were in poverty.

Enjoy Matthews at 15-16m or enjoy watch him Hoisting a cup with Chicago.

I’d personally love to see Edmonton ship out some combo of Nurse Kane and RNH to bring in Matthews as a UFA.

Could you even imagine a trio of Draisatl McD and Matthews on one solid line.

• Haha
Reactions: mclaren55 and Morbo

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im curious why some people actually believe it will be $16 million AAV.

We haven’t even reached $13 benchmark yet
And suddenly we are jumping:
$14 million AAV
$15 million AAV
Right up $16 million?

Just skipping right over three major levels.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
IDK why he would get either of those contracts when MacK just signed for 12.6x8 and has a cup on the resume.

If he wants 13M the term is 8 years otherwise he is looking lower AAV IMO, 12.7x5
It’s timing. He’s getting paid more than Mac

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
It’s timing. He’s getting paid more than Mac
He’s not taking 12.6 or even less.

Matthews will specifically demand 30% of whatever the expected increase to the salary cap is for the next 8 years.

What people don’t get here. You are not paying the player solely based upon what he’s done for you.

You are 100% paying for what this player is going to provide you in the next 8 years.

Does a Stanley cup matter?

No it doesn’t.

What matters is how does the players individual stats, individual awards and even the players ability to positively impact his teammates convert to a dollwr Value.

Otherwise every 3/4th line grinder winning a cup would actually have value and they don’t.

Either way I expect year 1-3 to come in at $16-$18m with the number going down to 12-14m by the end of the contract at year 8.

You’re not getting him for 12.6 or likely even 13.1.

You can’t thank your past GMs to overpaying him when all he had was arbitration rights.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Yeah, let's just pretend that he wasn't going to pass 50 goals in both of the covid shortened seasons. Never change HF
At some point a players actual production becomes more important than pace. Which would you prefer? a player that scores 30 goals every year but paces for 60 or a player that actually scores 45 every year?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Sorry the NHL even states it he scored 50 goals in a 50 game segment in the regular season.

What’s funny.

Maple Leafs fans are like our players are the best!!!

Time to re-sign them and buy UFA years and those same fans are saying…

Matthews is Ok but really he doesn’t deserve a 20% raise which by the way is incredibly common amount to go from RFA to UFA.

You need to remember here. The moment Matthews hits that UFA status he belongs to nobody and when you are buying UFA years you are literally buying an asset that is in theory free.

This is where drafting Top 3 and specifically 1OA picks has its negative downside.

You aren’t going to find many players quite frankly if any who actually care if they play their entire career with a single team.

End of the day dollars in their bank and their retirement is what matters.

Low end players just want to eeeek out a 3-5 year existence to try to collect on the NHLPA retirement plan.

You think a $2 million Salary is sweet even for a 3-4th liner.

It’s until you realize almost 60% or more of that number is paid out to taxes, recapture, retirement, agent fees, insurance to secure their income in case of horrific injury and then you tack on how impossible it is for even the 3-4th line guys to lead a normal life.

Seriously. We see McDavid in Vegas with his girlfriend and now Fiancé.

The moment every idiot realizes it’s McDavid they want pictures with him or her. They basically have a screwd social life.

It’s just cute how people think 2m and even 13m is a lot of money. When you piss away 6 million out of 10 million paid it hurts and hurts bad.

It’s why you should never push kids into professional sports unless it’s what they want.

Minor league is I’m even worse. Unt recent minor league baseball players were in poverty.

Enjoy Matthews at 15-16m or enjoy watch him Hoisting a cup with Chicago.

I’d personally love to see Edmonton ship out some combo of Nurse Kane and RNH to bring in Matthews as a UFA.

Could you even imagine a trio of Draisatl McD and Matthews on one solid line.
Any player that is paying 60% of his salary in taxes needs to fire his accountant and agent. That is not happening

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
At some point a players actual production becomes more important than pace. Which would you prefer? a player that scores 30 goals every year but paces for 60 or a player that actually scores 45 every year?
Except those two years you're referring to he scored 47 and 41 goals, not 30. Nice try misrepresenting the narrative though

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Except those two years you're referring to he scored 47 and 41 goals, not 30. Nice try misrepresenting the narrative though
I wasnt talking about Matthews specifically. That was a hypothetical situation to make a point. Nice try misrepresenting what I said though

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It took them forever to find a legit franchise centre after Sundin left. I would say there is zero chance he plays elsewhere. Who is the #1C without him?

I think he will get 14 million per season. Or very close to it. No he probably isn't worth it. But that's sports. Most guys aren't worth what they will get paid. It's what the market dictates.

One team who will be paying close attention to this contract is Edmonton. Because if Matthews gets 14 million, Draisaitl will probably want more when he can be signed next year.

Reactions: Devonator

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Mack said he would take less. Then literally took the most in the league.

Kind of a weird thing to say
Not really. He could probably have gotten more if he really wanted.
When McDavid is up for a new contract he could ask for and receive the max. Anything he takes under that would be him taking less by choice

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Who cares?

????? The year he scored 47 he played all 70.
He scored 41 in 52 games.

2 times he missed in COVID shortened seasons

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Mack said he would take less. Then literally took the most in the league.

Kind of a weird thing to say
My guess is he was saying he would take less than market value. Not less than 6 million per year. The union would go crazy if he had signed for that low an amount.

I feel there is no question teams would have offered MacKinnon 14 million per year. So in a way, he did take a discount. Highest paid player is changing every year. Like NFL QB's.

In a year or two, the best QB in the league will probably be the 9th or 10th highest paid player at the position.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Any player that is paying 60% of his salary in taxes needs to fire his accountant and agent. That is not happening
Income tax Just Federal alone is 37% in Canada.

The United States has more tiers but 37% is the top tier.

When you add in state/provincial and in some US cities you can even add in local municipal taxes.

Agent fees can range from 3% on the exceptionally low end to as much as 15% in a players earnings and enforsement deals it can range from 10% to as much as 30%.

All players also have to pay significant premiums for insurance on their salaries. Chubb and Lloyds of London are two of the more common insurance groups. Athletes even playing NCAA and Junior CHL should have insurance.

Like I said by the time it’s all together players pay 50-60% all in. In Canada we do have a retirement referral similar to RRSPs thet players can take advantage of but it also has a maximum based upon your income.

Hec escrow in the NHL has averaged 3-6% per year.

NHLPA dues I think are between $28-33 per DAY per player which is actually crazy for a union support.

It’s also crazy important as players reach the maximum retirement pay of around $250,000 after 10 years or 820 games of service. I think there is a minimum of approx 250 or 260 games.

This is why a player getting in just 4 years as a Bottom 6 guy is incredibly important as most guys won’t earn more than $2-4 million in their career.

Cody Franson is my cousin and made approx $18,000,000 before being rejected by the NHL further.

You Google his name and it says he’s worth $18,000,000.

Yet I know as he’s my cousin it’s no where close to what the guy has in the bank.

On top of all the statutory fees you get every single family member asking you for money or you’re expected to pay for family trips/gatherings.

I know my cousin has reasonable amounts of money left from his playing days.

He’s been bouncing around the AHL and KHL now for years watching his bank account balance decrease every year.

Most players do get a nice home out of it. Ideally a family with education and retirement all paid for so it’s not all bad.

But just know most players pay over 50% every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad