Dreger: "Auston Matthews 100% is not going anywhere."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 21, 2018
scenario 1: matthews stays in toronto. Hfboards whine that he is overpaid

scenario 2: toronto trades matthews. Hfboards whine that toronto lost their franchise player

either way hfboards is going to whine because toronto is the centre of the hockey universe

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hoping for 13x5. I'm ok with paying a guy like Matthews that money, and if the cap goes up as expected it'll be a little more manageable in 2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty415

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
No surprise there. Unless Matthews secretly loathed Toronto, you had to figure they’d do what they needed to to keep their franchise C.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Treliving said he's keeping the core 4... Shocker

Too stressful for him changing things up right away... Too gun shy after the Tkachuk trade

I'd imagine Leafs fans are pissed off at that after what has been said over the years about their displeasure of not changing things up

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
This is only reiterated by LAK blowing their wad on Dubois.
Has nothing to do with it. Kings would have the cap space next year to sign him as a FA if Matthews wanted to. Toronto just doesn't want to lose him and I don't think they were shopping him at all anyway. LA wasn't even in the picture.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I wonder what the Kings would have given up for a signed Matthews?
Nothing that Toronto would want to replace him. Toronto would want equivalent value and the Kings don't have a 1:1 option. The talent they DO have is either too old for Toronto (Kopitar/Doughty), the Kings wouldn't want to give it up in a bundle (Clarke/Byfield), and both teams are trying to win now and not blow it up. There's no trade that makes sense for the both of them.

Reactions: Summer Rose

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
He's not worth $13m+ now
Wouldn't argue that, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that for the next couple years $13m, while maybe an overpay, wouldn't be a totally ridiculous AAV. But with Auston's injury history, that amount could easily become an abaltross contract in years 6-8 as he gets deeper into his 30s.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Wouldn't argue that, but I guess the point I was trying to make is that for the next couple years $13m, while maybe an overpay, wouldn't be a totally ridiculous AAV. But with Auston's injury history, that amount could easily become an abaltross contract in years 6-8 as he gets deeper into his 30s.
Fair enough. But my issue is he was already overpaid on the last contract as an RFA, and the team didn't win shit. Now he wants a raise? The team will continue to not win shit

Reactions: Suntouchable13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad