Post-Game Talk: Audit results are in?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wayne didn't need to do anything. Guy has houses worth 8 and 16 mill, etc, etc lol. He could just sit wherever he wants and retire.

Of course he could. He’s a multi millionaire. But he has a passion for the game. Now if one of the California teams had a spot for him, would he be here?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll always take some solace in the fact that Wayne never won shit after booking it.

I'm so sick of hearing about Wayne or Mark or Craig or Kevin.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The entire debacle is more complex than the general populace believes, but Pock still bears like 90% of the blame.

Probably but it never sat right with me that Slats offered Wayne the chance to stop it all. And Wayne didn’t. Really felt like Wayne wanted to go and build on his greatness by bringing cups to LA.

Bet he regrets that move till this day. Could have won 2 or more cups with the Oilers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I guess they are winning a lot....in the AHL. You know what other team won a lot with almost a 2 wins to 1 loss ration, Todd Nelson’s OKC Barons. And how many players from that team made impacts in the NHL where it really matters? Pretty much none.

So yeh I’m not ready to anoint Keith Gretzky or his scouting staff as accomplishing anything at this point.

Tkachuk over Pulju would have been an accomplishment. Bouchard proving he could stick in his first year would have been an accomplishment. Of course none of these are failures either, I’m just saying he still hasn’t proven to be a success.
That team was all AHL vets, the current Condors are our prospects carrying

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'll always take some solace in the fact that Wayne never won **** after booking it.

I'm so sick of hearing about Wayne or Mark or Craig or Kevin.

On one hand I think it’s kind of cool that these Oilers dudes are back and trying to make it happen again. Passion for the city, bleed Oil for life and all that. On the other hand... these f*ckin guys suck at their jobs!

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Of course he could. He’s a multi millionaire. But he has a passion for the game. Now if one of the California teams had a spot for him, would he be here?
We don't know what his thoughts are. Maybe he has a soft spot for the Oilers and wants themt o do better.

We don't know.

Reactions: LaGu

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No but if he was exceptional in his role, guys like Pulju and Yamo would have been showing more than they have. I agree on your point though, it’s tough to judge draft picks so early after their draft years. BUT hitting it out of the park with a draft pick here or there early IS possible in this league, that would be exceptional drafting, Keith has definately not done that.

For example, it would have been EXCEPTIONAL for him to have forgone Pulju and went for Tkachuk. Tough move for sure, but smarter GMs and scouting groups could make that call, CBJ for one.
Keith Gretzky was still with the Bruins when Puljujarvi was drafted.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That team was all AHL vets, the current Condors are our prospects carrying

Could be right. Haven’t taken a deep dive comparing the Barons of old to the Condors of today, but I do remember that Condors team trying to plug in some of their players... Lander and some other nobodies.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
On one hand I think it’s kind of cool that these Oilers dudes are back and trying to make it happen again. Passion for the city, bleed Oil for life and all that. On the other hand... these f*ckin guys suck at their jobs!

See, I don't think that's what they're doing. It's more they're holding cushy jobs with the only team stupid enough to give them jobs.

Mark my words, if Katz ever sells and the new owner comes in and says "we're doing a legit, top down forensic audit using an outside company and anyone who wants to be here will need to justify their jobs with results", all those 80's flunkies will resign before the end of the hour.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Keith Gretzky was still with the Bruins when Puljujarvi was drafted.

Oh right. Thoughts Chia came in with his crew right away, but it was still Bob “Architech of the Reinhart Trade” Green as head scout back then was it

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Have you seen our AHL team

Very possible that Keith is solid at amateur scouting. Seems like a good spot to keep him. We just love to promote guys beyond their abilities though. Lowe should have never got above GM. MacT should have never got above coach. Howson should have never got above coffee boy. Nicholson never above cherry picking best Canadian players. Coffey should have never got beyond coaching his son's team. Gretzky should have never got above wine drinker.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Could be right. Haven’t taken a deep dive comparing the Barons of old to the Condors of today, but I do remember that Condors team trying to plug in some of their players... Lander and some other nobodies.
The Barons used to be vets and they were like...league average.

The Condors are the best team in their conference, 15 game win streak. Dominate goalie, current best in the league is our prospect. 2 of our top line are guys are recently added by us. Currie we signed as a free agent still pretty young. Gambardella and Russel are the next best we signed out of university.

Our best defenders, Jones and Lagesson are draft picks.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Wayne is part owner...him and Katz arent going anywhere. Thats fine by me if they would just keep their meddling noses out of hockey ops.

Yup. We're stuck with the worst owner in sports and a greaseball who has failed as an executive everywhere else.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
“He’s a winner”

Thanks Bob, can he skate? Can he shoot? How’s his quickness? How’s his agility?

"He's got a good face. Smokeshow girlfriend. This kid's got it all going on."
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: TB12 and TheNumber4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad