Post-Game Talk: Audit results are in?

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Just chiming in on the season ticket waiting list.

I believe the list is still pretty long. I have heard that cancellations are up and people getting calls are asking to remain on list but to call the next guy.

Could be worse. Katz needs 97 more now than ever before.

Reactions: oobga

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Bob needs to come look at these threads and see that the OOT Posting % has gone up 167% as people offer their condolences, recommendations, as well as hatred for the team and their fans. Its kind of the equivalent of looting after a natural disaster.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Klefbom/Larsson/Nurse all play big minutes for a team that has been horrible defensively. That doesn't happen if all 3 are good players. There is a weak player or 2 in that mix that needs to be identified and moved this off-season.

I like Larsson when he healthy but his bad back worries me . I think it effects many of his games . Time to trade him before he is really broken .

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Who the *UCK was involved in the scouting of Petrovic? He looks like he has anvils attached to his ankles, PATHETIC collective deals in the Koska Manning and Petro deals my gosh what a nightmare. Anyone with their fingerprints on these deals should be nuked to the sun. Sabotaging this franchise is painful to watch
That 2nd goal just showed Petrovic's true colors in addition to his poor skating abilities. I still like and do have faith in the Kosko signing though!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I see Wayne as crawling back after not being able to make a hockey career in anywhere BUT Edmonton. Edmonton has always been plans B and C for him, he’d be anywhere but here if someone would hire him.

You way off . 1) Wayne doesn't have to craw back anywhere . He is the riches hockey player ever . 2) Wayne owns part of the team . 3) How the hell do you know what Wayne plans are ?

This is what you get in Edmonton . It no wonder players don't want to come here .

Reactions: space321

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You way off . 1) Wayne doesn't have to craw back anywhere . He is the riches hockey player ever . 2) Wayne owns part of the team . 3) How the hell do you know what Wayne plans are ?

This is what you get in Edmonton . It no wonder players don't want to come here .

Crawl back in terms of wanting to follow his passion for hockey SOMEWHERE, I didn’t mean monetarily. And if he could have owned part of LA or another warm city team(like he did in Arizona) I think he would.

I don’t, just speculation on my part.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Who is to say if any of this was true or real anyway? I think a lot of these stories were told to try and make people feel better. That was such a miserable time. By the day of that trade, Peter had his heart set on that $15 million and I have a hard time believing anyone was talking him out of it including Slats. As for what Gretzky wanted, who knows? Looking back, I find it odd as hell that he had his wedding in Edmonton and it was just three weeks before the trade.
Its an agreed statement by Gretzky, Sather, and other sources themselves, and contained in respective biographies. It happened. Gretz could have reversed but at that point he felt things had gone too far, and that things wouldn't be the same here either after the events.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks. I'm also saying that it isn't Hitchcock fault that the team lacks of victories. The loses are pretty much the lack of skill and player errors that are costing the team. You can obviously the effort but no secondary scoring at all.

Also the lack of talent is so drastically impacting our run support potential. For instance two of the Islanders goals were cases of great execution and finish. A pass shot that just doesn't occur with our team, and who seem to need to be reminded to do something as imaginative (and only Drai could finish one) and lacking the kind of snipes that beat us in Carolina and Brooklyn.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's so hard to say. I still firmly believe this is THE worst assembled roster he's ever had to coach in his entire coaching career from the goaltenders out. As I said to another poster in the GDT, McDavid (and the players) know the season is done and they have zero chance of even sniffing the 2nd WC spot, let alone climbing into it so they're playing it out.

Even if Hitchcok did resign or was forced to step down or whatever, it's not like Gulutzan will be or fare much better. It's only 20 more games, ride it out with Hitch, hopefully KG can move out some salaries in the next nine days and if not, get the new PoHO and GM in place by the draft and see what happens during the summer.

Hard to believe the coaching carousel is still plugged in and running full tilt. :shakehead:

Yeah, I said in another thread that in fairness to Hitch it would be hard to believe that a roster could contain McDRai, and Nuge, and still be this bad. Somebody that might have less familiarity might be amazed how much Chiarelli had shitcanned the entire roster.

I mean for Hitch there was a phone call, he threw some bags on a plane, got here without sleep and started being involved in continued pressers, work, catching up. This is an old man without sleep for days (and he said that) who wanted to give the team some positive hope and said some things to impact it.

I don't think he though it was lies either. Nobody could assume the overall lineup and roster was this bad. We know this because we follow the club intimately. Maybe Hitch, retired, and for all we know not on top of current hockey events, maybe he didn't know how bad things had become here with the lineup. His statement could be consistent with a lineup capable of competing. He also couldn't have imagined how a 4th NHL pick, and Lucic could POSSIBLY be this bad.

I'm sure theres been moments where Hitch has been looking over his roster thinking wheres all the players? This is it? He probably even inquired on if theres any more usable players on IR. Its not like he had lots of time to prepare of compose before answering questions.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Gosh when they lost those three games (Philly, Montreal etc) a little while ago, I was just mad because they were still in the hunt. Now I’m just sad because I know they’re out already and the losses keep piling on... I can’t stand another playoff-less season. I’ve lived in Ottawa now for almost 20 years and every single person has asked me if McDavid is going to ask to get traded. Every single time. I mean, **** off, I’m so sick of being asked this ****. Why keep piling on this depressing stuff on us fans, personally I don’t like hearing it.

It’s also sad my kids can’t experience the same team I saw when I was their age. I keep telling myself I won’t watch anymore games this season but then I find myself turning the TV on and going into a bad mood 2 hours later. Ugh.

Same here. Hard for me to get my kids into hockey when this team is so bad all the time. When I was my son's age I was watching and enjoying hockey and growing a love for the sport. They used to watch with me at times, but it's hard to put them through so much losing. Rather they not watch and hopefully somehow grow a love for the game another way.

As for watching games, I've been watching them early the next day or couple days after. Losses are expected (and the team doesn't disappoint) and then I do other stuff so my mood/day isn't ruined.

I actually thought they played pretty well in this game. More engaged than I've seen of late and 3rd straight game where they outshot the opponent. Sadly, always playing from behind and the opposition scoring easily as we try to even things up.

I don't feel like McDavid is thinking about leaving or getting traded. Crosby missed the playoffs what, 5 of his first 6 years in the league? McDavid isn't there yet but I'm sure he wants to see things change for the better starting next season. Let's not let him get there.

Reactions: dsi

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Also the lack of talent is so drastically impacting our run support potential. For instance two of the Islanders goals were cases of great execution and finish. A pass shot that just doesn't occur with our team, and who seem to need to be reminded to do something as imaginative (and only Drai could finish one) and lacking the kind of snipes that beat us in Carolina and Brooklyn.
To be fair, Drai’s goal was a gift from McDavid. You or I could likely have deposited that one. McDavid was amazing again, just no results.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To be fair, Drai’s goal was a gift from McDavid. You or I could likely have deposited that one. McDavid was amazing again, just no results.

It was an amazing pass but the goal happens because Drai stays on that play, goes to the right spot as improbable as a pass like that is. Plus that Drai could execute that same pass and has. Drai is the one finishing, and he setups up McD MORE than the converse, and by McD's own admission he's having trouble cashing all his chances. Of the two Drai finishes on less chances and shots. That's substantiated in the stats. Most of Drais goals are pretty good snipes, A lot of one timers in the bunch. But the one on this roadtrip where Drai took the pass, skated on, changed the angle and sniped it top corner, that was gold. Drai makes it look easy. Nobody on this team is as close to as good at finishing.

Really that Drai has 35 goals is amazing considering what his linemates look like away from McD, and that this club has no elite offensive D contributing to plays. Even given the latter Drai and Nuge make Nurse look pretty good offensively.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
That 2nd goal just showed Petrovic's true colors in addition to his poor skating abilities. I still like and do have faith in the Kosko signing though!
The Kosovo signing is probably one of the most random and worst goalie signings in franchise history

4.5M to a goalie who had like 20 games of experience and his last 8 games or so before signing were horrendous. Why didn’t they veto the deal when they saw Kosovo coming back down to earth from his amazing start???

Such a bad move, Kosko is gonna have a >.900 SV at this rate . 85% backups are better than him

Reactions: Stoneman89

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't feel like McDavid is thinking about leaving or getting traded. Crosby missed the playoffs what, 5 of his first 6 years in the league? McDavid isn't there yet but I'm sure he wants to see things change for the better starting next season. Let's not let him get there.

He missed the playoffs his rookie season and that is it. Won his first cup in year four after losing in the finals in year three. The Pens have been in the playoffs every season of Sid's arrival minus the aforementioned rookie season.

Reactions: Helistin

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Wasn't the plan to have Wayne own part of the King's before Bruce got put in jail?

Crawl back in terms of wanting to follow his passion for hockey SOMEWHERE, I didn’t mean monetarily. And if he could have owned part of LA or another warm city team(like he did in Arizona) I think he would.

I don’t, just speculation on my part.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He missed the playoffs his rookie season and that is it. Won his first cup in year four after losing in the finals in year three. The Pens have been in the playoffs every season of Sid's arrival minus the aforementioned rookie season.

What is forgotten though is that Nicholson actually stated that McDavid is being consulted on significant moves from this point on. I was surprised by the statement, but it was voiced by Nicholson. Whether he mistakenly stated it, I don't know, but he said McD would be consulted.

That tells me Keith Gretzky is of course more interested in his predecessor what Connor thinks he needs here. I think to this point Connor has just given lip service and saying nice things. I think theres an opportunity for Connor to be more candid now and have unguarded impact that will be listened to.

For instance Connor stated that anybody not believing in this team shouldn't be here. The first trades of note are Talbot and Spooner because Talbot stopped believing, and Spooner never did.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
It was an amazing pass but the goal happens because Drai stays on that play, goes to the right spot as improbable as a pass like that is. Plus that Drai could execute that same pass and has. Drai is the one finishing, and he setups up McD MORE than the converse, and by McD's own admission he's having trouble cashing all his chances. Of the two Drai finishes on less chances and shots. That's substantiated in the stats. Most of Drais goals are pretty good snipes, A lot of one timers in the bunch. But the one on this roadtrip where Drai took the pass, skated on, changed the angle and sniped it top corner, that was gold. Drai makes it look easy. Nobody on this team is as close to as good at finishing.

Really that Drai has 35 goals is amazing considering what his linemates look like away from McD, and that this club has no elite offensive D contributing to plays. Even given the latter Drai and Nuge make Nurse look pretty good offensively.

The reason Draisaitl is so good with McDavid is that he clearly knows what Connor will do next. They've obviously built some weird telepathy or something, because they're almost always in sync with each other. They need to accept the McDrai is the deadliest duo in hockey right now. If they find secondary scoring and a half way decent puck mover, teams wouldn't be able to focus only on them.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
The reason Draisaitl is so good with McDavid is that he clearly knows what Connor will do next. They've obviously built some weird telepathy or something, because they're almost always in sync with each other. They need to accept the McDrai is the deadliest duo in hockey right now. If they find secondary scoring and a half way decent puck mover, teams wouldn't be able to focus only on them.
People never gave Daniel Sedin so much flak for playing RW in the most potent duo of the last 10 years

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What is forgotten though is that Nicholson actually stated that McDavid is being consulted on significant moves from this point on. I was surprised by the statement, but it was voiced by Nicholson. Whether he mistakenly stated it, I don't know, but he said McD would be consulted.

That tells me Keith Gretzky is of course more interested in his predecessor what Connor thinks he needs here. I think to this point Connor has just given lip service and saying nice things. I think theres an opportunity for Connor to be more candid now and have unguarded impact that will be listened to.

For instance Connor stated that anybody not believing in this team shouldn't be here. The first trades of note are Talbot and Spooner because Talbot stopped believing, and Spooner never did.

Interesting, when was this said? IMO this is actually a good thing as we need to do our best to keep 97 happy.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To some extent. Its not totally out of sorts that the team should continue to have them together, and apart, at different times like the Hawks mix it up with Kane and Toews.

Amidst all the tragedy this season was its been a time of growth for our core. ALL of McD, Drai, Nuge, Nurse have gotten better. Only Larsson has gotten worse, Klef looks mostly back in form. Those are some good ingredients.
The way I described it earlier is that more work under intense heat has forged a finer blade in our top players who cut through opposition much more now. We just add usable players to that and we'll start seeing some more results.

Guys like Maroon, Chiasson help, key to find some more like that.

I think the team should try Gagner with either Drai or McD. Just give him some peaks there. On one shift together Gagner sent Connor in alone. Gagner has always been good at working pucks down low and this is really a facet of McDrai games, but the trouble is in this lineup the only players that can service Connor are Drai and Nuge. Gagner gives us another option which we need.

You know, and this is odd, the whole time we're trying to make a player out of Yamamoto I'm thinking we already had far better in Gagner, already realized, why not just go back to that? Its debatable whether Gagner should have been sent down the road, but I'm glad he's back. Gives us another talent ingredient. Sorely lacking on this roster.

Reactions: Missing smitty

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting, when was this said? IMO this is actually a good thing as we need to do our best to keep 97 happy.

Nicholson said that within his big pressers. Like I say I'm not sure if he mistakenly named Connor in the Consult, as he talked also about consulting with others, but its in there. I think its something the org has to do, and should do. But I would include Drai and Nuge in that as well.

tbh, and I don't want to start something contentious, but McD may not be the most objective player. He's on record really liking guys like Lucic contribution so I think its hard for McD to have critical evaluation. I think its something he's been taught not to say. he's a good kid, but too kind...heh. Lucic should be the first person called out on this team, he's the worst performing vet, and we need more from him than just hitting (although at least he's performing that role admirably every night)

I think all the leaders of the team could be consulted a bit more on what they need for success. This org has been too top down for too long and its better for orgs to consult with their player assets.

One of the big positives in the season though is how adaptable Nuge has been. He's really grown his game and its nice to see. He's the only one that can get anything out of players like Lucic presently and maybe even Puljujarvi.

of course Drai has grown his game, is now a consummate goal scorer, and continues to work on different facets.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
To some extent. Its not totally out of sorts that the team should continue to have them together, and apart, at different times like the Hawks mix it up with Kane and Toews.

Amidst all the tragedy this season was its been a time of growth for our core. ALL of McD, Drai, Nuge, Nurse have gotten better. Only Larsson has gotten worse, Klef looks mostly back in form. Those are some good ingredients.
The way I described it earlier is that more work under intense heat has forged a finer blade in our top players who cut through opposition much more now. We just add usable players to that and we'll start seeing some more results.

Guys like Maroon, Chiasson help, key to find some more like that.

I think the team should try Gagner with either Drai or McD. Just give him some peaks there. On one shift together Gagner sent Connor in alone. Gagner has always been good at working pucks down low and this is really a facet of McDrai games, but the trouble is in this lineup the only players that can service Connor are Drai and Nuge. Gagner gives us another option which we need.

You know, and this is odd, the whole time we're trying to make a player out of Yamamoto I'm thinking we already had far better in Gagner, already realized, why not just go back to that? Its debatable whether Gagner should have been sent down the road, but I'm glad he's back. Gives us another talent ingredient. Sorely lacking on this roster.

It is sad that a 30 year old Sam Gagner is immediately the 4th best offensive forward on the team.

I agree about Yamamoto, he should be shopped to a team in the east, somewhere where his lack of size isn't as glaring of a detriment. People trying and say the game is all about "speed and skill", but unless a little guy has the skill of a Gaudreau or a St Louis, it just makes it that much harder to compete.

That first powerplay that Gagner was on and fired a low shot on net, which caused a ton of havoc is exactly why I always enjoyed watching him play. Didn't piss around a dust it off, just put it on net and hope someone cleans up the mess.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Nicholson said that within his big pressers. Like I say I'm not sure if he mistakenly named Connor in the Consult, as he talked also about consulting with others, but its in there. I think its something the org has to do, and should do. But I would include Drai and Nuge in that as well.

tbh, and I don't want to start something contentious, but McD may not be the most objective player. He's on record really liking guys like Lucic contribution so I think its hard for McD to have critical evaluation. I think its something he's been taught not to say. he's a good kid, but too kind...heh. Lucic should be the first person called out on this team, he's the worst performing vet, and we need more from him than just hitting (although at least he's performing that role admirably every night)

I think all the leaders of the team could be consulted a bit more on what they need for success. This org has been too top down for too long and its better for orgs to consult with their player assets.

One of the big positives in the season though is how adaptable Nuge has been. He's really grown his game and its nice to see. He's the only one that can get anything out of players like Lucic presently and maybe even Puljujarvi.

of course Drai has grown his game, is now a consummate goal scorer, and continues to work on different facets.

McDavid is the team captain he isnt going to call out any of his teammates. If that's what your saying he should be doing with Looch. Im sure he would rather have 6m in cap vs Lucic, everyone would.

Reactions: TB12 and RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->