ATD Chat Thread XVIII

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Getting Keith is a risk, but Edmonton was desperate for veteran leadership

We should be desperate for forward depth....

We have 11 million in space and this is what our team depth chart looks like....

Things Holland still needs to do/add
  • A top 6 LW to play with McDavid
  • Resign Yamamoto
  • Find another RW who can step up for Jesse and Yamamoto from the 3rd line
  • Get a starting goaltender
  • Resign Larsson or find a suitable replacement to play with Keith at ES
  • Find a 3rd line C and LW
He took about 1/3 of our available cap space and tied it to a 38 year old defenseman who Hawks fans say is long passed his prime and not worth his contract.

upload_2021-7-13_8-50-48.png

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We should be desperate for forward depth....

We have 11 million in space and this is what our team depth chart looks like....

Things Holland still needs to do/add
  • A top 6 LW to play with McDavid
  • Resign Yamamoto
  • Find another RW who can step up for our Jesse and Yamamoto from the 3rd line
  • Get a starting goaltender
  • Resign Larsson or find a suitable replacement to play with Keith at ES
  • Find a 3rd line C and LW
He took about 1/3 of our available cap space and tied it to a 38 year old defenseman who Hawks fans say is long passed his prime and not worth his contract.

View attachment 452775
God that's such a sad f***ing roster.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Buying out James Neal gets us about another 4 million in space giving Holland 15 million to worth with to fill 6 fairly important spots

I'd be pleasantly surprised if as part of the Tampa fire sale Palat or Killorn would come here...but given they have NTC/NMC I doubt they'd waive to leave a 2x Cup champion for Edmonton

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Buying out James Neal gets us about another 4 million in space giving Holland 15 million to worth with to fill 6 fairly important spots

I'd be pleasantly surprised if as part of the Tampa fire sale Palat or Killorn would come here...but given they have NTC/NMC I doubt they'd waive to leave a 2x Cup champion for Edmonton
Tampa's in an interesting spot. I don't know what exactly they're going to do. Moving Johnson is a given if they can find a buyer with a plus. Some rumors that Stamkos may be on the move, which would be... honestly amazing for our cap situation but one of the ballsiest GM moves in recent history (moving on from the face of the franchise after b2b Cups?). It'd be the right move, but a) he has a NMC, and b) it would take gigantic balls.

If it's Stamkos + Johnson, that pretty much solves any cap issues. Otherwise it will be Johnson + one of Palat/Killorn/Gourde, which I don't think will cripple Tampa but the loss of depth would hurt a bit.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Tampa's in an interesting spot. I don't know what exactly they're going to do. Moving Johnson is a given if they can find a buyer with a plus. Some rumors that Stamkos may be on the move, which would be... honestly amazing for our cap situation but one of the ballsiest GM moves in recent history (moving on from the face of the franchise after b2b Cups?). It'd be the right move, but a) he has a NMC, and b) it would take gigantic balls.

If it's Stamkos + Johnson, that pretty much solves any cap issues. Otherwise it will be Johnson + one of Palat/Killorn/Gourde, which I don't think will cripple Tampa but the loss of depth would hurt a bit.

If Stamkos didn't have a NMC, he'd be the obvious choice to go, but I find it hard to believe that they'd ask him to waive it, and also hard to believe he'd agree to waiving it.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
d

If Stamkos didn't have a NMC, he'd be the obvious choice to go, but I find it hard to believe that they'd ask him to waive it, and also hard to believe he'd agree to waiving it.
Rumor is they asked him last offseason and he refused. I agree - he won't do it. But I'm glad we have a GM that will at least entertain the idea.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Rumor is they asked him last offseason and he refused. I agree - he won't do it. But I'm glad we have a GM that will at least entertain the idea.

Buy out Johnson, that gives them 6m cap space and 5 spots to fill. Sign Goodrow and Coleman for 1.5 and 2m. That's 2.5 left for 3 spots. Savard can be replaced by a Montreal traffic cone and the cone would still do well on that team. That leaves 1.75 for two kids.

Next year Palat goes and Point takes his money. Bump Killorn to the top line and Coleman to the second line and Colton should be ready for third line. Fat Pat heads to the skybox to drink Bud Lights and you bring in another kid.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Buy out Johnson, that gives them 6m cap space and 5 spots to fill. Sign Goodrow and Coleman for 1.5 and 2m. That's 2.5 left for 3 spots. Savard can be replaced by a Montreal traffic cone and the cone would still do well on that team. That leaves 1.75 for two kids.

Next year Palat goes and Point takes his money. Bump Killorn to the top line and Coleman to the second line and Colton should be ready for third line. Fat Pat heads to the skybox to drink Bud Lights and you bring in another kid.
Numbers don't work there. Coleman is going to get 4 from someone. Also I think trading Johnson with an asset attached is plan A on moving him rather than carry dead cap space.

But I don't think it's going to be apocalyptic to the roster (although like I said - moving Stamkos would be a ballsy but good move). But we're going to lose some quality players down the line up. I'm sure we'll give a chance for some young guys to earn jobs before looking around at the deadline.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Numbers don't work there. Coleman is going to get 4 from someone. Also I think trading Johnson with an asset attached is plan A on moving him rather than carry dead cap space.

But I don't think it's going to be apocalyptic to the roster (although like I said - moving Stamkos would be a ballsy but good move). But we're going to lose some quality players down the line up. I'm sure we'll give a chance for some young guys to earn jobs before looking around at the deadline.

Stamkos will never do that. They are going to be downgraded a Coleman and a Savard. And Johnson who is dynamite as a 4C. They Were 18m over the cap..

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Generational differences based on technology:

A 40 year old grew up without the Internet.

A 30 year old grew up without smartphones.

A 50 year old grew up without computers (except we had very limited PCs that basically just played second-rate video arcade games and was a substitute for the typewriter).

A 20 year old grew up with social media.

VERY different childhood experiences.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Awesome! Get any cool insights or stories?

PS: I’m just a couple months behind ya

Yeah. My wife took a video which we are not allowed to share, but considering when she started, the call was actually 10 minutes long, not 8. And apparently I was supposed to get 2 minutes (I didn't know at the time) so either he's super generous, or I am good at keeping the conversation going, or both.

I started by saying it was a surprise and I had not thought about what I'd say if I ever got the chance to talk to him. So I defaulted to The Goal and told him that it was the greatest goal of my life as a Leafs fan. He spent a couple minutes taking me through it from his eyes, to him it was like a quarterback who had no good pass options so decides to scramble instead. He concedes that if he tried it 1000 more times it wouldn't have worked. (I agree, that's part of why it's so special, it was so improbable and to pull it off in double overtime....) He says he frequently does banquets with Cujo and he always starts his speeches with, "ok, first of all ... You all know he scored a lot of other goals, right?"

We talked about the disappointing results of the Leafs (he said something along the lines of "to lose like that, in that division....), a little about 1994 (he told a story about how Odjick was shadowing him in game 4, not leaving him alone, so Clark went and threatened Bure and suddenly Odjick gave him more space), 1995 (how the lockout affected him and he had a bad season, he got into 12 games in 2 months in switzerland), the Clark trade changing the team too much even though Sundin had an excellent career in Toronto, and we agreed that when we "fixed" it by getting Clark back it was never quite the same.

A scary part came when I was discussing 1996 with him and how I really had a lot of faith in that team. "You've got Gilmour, Clark, Sundin, Muller, Gagner, Gartner, Murphy and Schneider on D, Potvin in net, that's a team with veteran know-how that should go deep. But then you end up against a team built the same way and you're up against Gretzky, Hull, Fuhr, Corson, MacInnis, Pronger..." and he says, "well, I wasn't there by then...." and the look on my face was like, "oh shit, my memory failed me on a phone call with Dougie!!!!" and then I regained my wits and said, "in 96? Yeah, you were there in 96! Just not in 97." I think he might have misheard something, I mentioned Corson, he may have thought I was talking about when the Leafs had Corson.

After that, he mentioned about how they almost got Gretzky in 1996, how he was asked about it and was 100% in favour of it, they had sponsors like Molson ready to pay the salary even (he estimates 4-5M) and Stavros stopped it. I should have asked who would have been the 3rd line center - it probably would have been him! - or if he thought Mats would have moved to the wing. But honestly it was a strange Spring and Summer for the Leafs with them suddenly caring about money, because shortly after picking up Clark they had 7 "star" forwards but decided to pare it down to 6 by dumping off Andreychuk. And it's March and they're a veteran team looking to make a long run. Why not just keep all hands on deck? And then in the offseason Gartner, Gagner and Gill were gone in cost-cutting moves. In the matter of a few months you dump off four quality vets for nothing and decline to get Gretzky.

So for the most part it was classic stuff he would say in charity banquet speeches but I felt he was speaking pretty openly when he talked about how losing Clark for Sundin changed the team's character, and also the way he implied the current Leafs don't have the right character right now. It was well worth it.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Yeah. My wife took a video which we are not allowed to share, but considering when she started, the call was actually 10 minutes long, not 8. And apparently I was supposed to get 2 minutes (I didn't know at the time) so either he's super generous, or I am good at keeping the conversation going, or both.

I started by saying it was a surprise and I had not thought about what I'd say if I ever got the chance to talk to him. So I defaulted to The Goal and told him that it was the greatest goal of my life as a Leafs fan. He spent a couple minutes taking me through it from his eyes, to him it was like a quarterback who had no good pass options so decides to scramble instead. He concedes that if he tried it 1000 more times it wouldn't have worked. (I agree, that's part of why it's so special, it was so improbable and to pull it off in double overtime....) He says he frequently does banquets with Cujo and he always starts his speeches with, "ok, first of all ... You all know he scored a lot of other goals, right?"

Was this done through Cameo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad