ATD Chat Thread XVIII

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
NFL has never had so many great players.

Mahomes is otherworldly but isn't such an icon because the MEDIA has changed. Viewership is more fragmented. The Internet has exploded the options for eyeballs.

Back in the day, everybody and their grandma saw the 6'oclock evening news on one of the few networks. And if you wanted your baseball or basketball highlights, you had to sit through NFL highlights on ESPN to get to them.

The NFL has an incredible product today. It's just non-diehard fans aren't even watching the highlights if their 1 of the 32 teams isn't in them.

The NHL is different in that the product isn't as incredible PLUS nonhockey or out-of-market hockey fans don't see what greatness there is.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is it just hockey though? Feels like all the major North American sports lack the "star aura" of the 1980s. I mean, Tom Brady is objectively probably the GOAT in the NFL and he's just so... boring. And no Jordan/Bird/Johnson star power in the NBA. I don't know if it's just because I'm old that it feels differently, or if there's a difference in the marketing, or whatever.
Lebron probably gets close to the ubiquity of seeing Jordan everywhere in the mid-90s, but even then it's clearly different.

I do think the lack of reliance on Sportscenter/local news for sports highlights has changed things.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Was he injured during the playoffs that year or something? Otherwise it seems odd that he didn't play in the playoffs after playing 76 regular season games.

Yeah, he was the 4th best scorer on the team that year – behind only the 1st line of Trottier, Bossy & Gillies – with 52 points, and scored the third most goals on the Isles in the regular season with 22, so it would perhaps have been a bit weird if they just healthy scratched him come playoffs.

But according to this article, Kallur both broke and separated his shoulder in the last game of the 1979–1980 regular season when he crashed headlong into the endboards at the Nassau Coliseum.

Tony Favia (UPI Sports Writer) said:
In a heartbreaking end to a promising rookie campaign, Kallur plunged headlong into the endboards at the Nassau Coliseum in the final game of the regular season last spring, breaking and separating his shoulder. He then watched helplessly from the sidelines while his New York Islanders teammates won their first Stanley Cup.

The injury was so severe that Kallur says, 'I couldn't do anything over the summer. I couldn't even raise my arm above my shoulder.'

Although this was Kallur's rookie season on the Isles, he was actually one of the older players on the team, aged 27. Of the skaters Wayne Merrick and Lorne Henning were also 27, and Butch Goring 29. All the other skaters younger. Goalies Smith and Resch were 28 and 31.

Kallur, while a good player, isn't that big of a name in Sweden despite his success on the Isles, and Stefan Persson isn't either. Back then NHL games were never televised and people didn't have internet. And none of them were Salming calibre anyways.

If you showed a plain clothes picture of Kallur & Persson to random people on the street in Sweden most people wouldn't know who they are. If you showed a picture of Kallur's track & field twin daughters though a lot more people would recognize them.

d6eaead1-248f-4627-a024-d6b1ec92bd6f.jpg

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Crazy how toxic the Leafs board is right now. Matthews and Marner haven't produced the way they need to for sure, but the hate on for Marner is nuts considering he's their best player imo. They blew two comebacks in a row due to bad coaching imo. Two horrible giveaways in OT.

The Leafs as a team make way too many fancy plays at both bluelines and also make wayyy too many high risk passes into the center when defending and/or breaking out.

Half the board seems to want to give away Rielly and Marner and {insert scapegoat here} for peanuts. What they really need is some more sandpaper because when you're not even brave enough to take a hit to make a play or finish your checks consistently against Montreal you're going no where.

Still hoping Matthews and Marner finally break out at the opportune time in game 7 though. Otherwise how is Seattle looking?

Reactions: seventieslord

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Crazy how toxic the Leafs board is right now. Matthews and Marner haven't produced the way they need to for sure, but the hate on for Marner is nuts considering he's their best player imo. They blew two comebacks in a row due to bad coaching imo. Two horrible giveaways in OT.

The Leafs as a team make way too many fancy plays at both bluelines and also make wayyy too many high risk passes into the center when defending and/or breaking out.

Half the board seems to want to give away Rielly and Marner and {insert scapegoat here} for peanuts. What they really need is some more sandpaper because when you're not even brave enough to take a hit to make a play or finish your checks consistently against Montreal you're going no where.

Still hoping Matthews and Marner finally break out at the opportune time in game 7 though. Otherwise how is Seattle looking?

Even if they win, letting Montreal make this close is embarrassing, especially considering Jack Campbell has played better than Carey Price.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Even if they win, letting Montreal make this close is embarrassing, especially considering Jack Campbell has played better than Carey Price.

Both goaltenders have played very well imo. Not much beating them that isn't a scramble or deflection. But ya, it shouldn't have been close -- if Matthews and Marner had produced like they should it would have been over already. If they lose 3 straight then I really question the fortitude of this squad because to me they seem soft and unwilling to pay the price in general.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Yeah, he was the 4th best scorer on the team that year – behind only the 1st line of Trottier, Bossy & Gillies – with 52 points, and scored the third most goals on the Isles in the regular season with 22, so it would perhaps have been a bit weird if they just healthy scratched him come playoffs.

But according to this article, Kallur both broke and separated his shoulder in the last game of the 1979–1980 regular season when he crashed headlong into the endboards at the Nassau Coliseum.

Although this was Kallur's rookie season on the Isles, he was actually one of the older players on the team, aged 27. Of the skaters Wayne Merrick and Lorne Henning were also 27, and Butch Goring 29. All the other skaters younger. Goalies Smith and Resch were 28 and 31.

Kallur, while a good player, isn't that big of a name in Sweden despite his success on the Isles, and Stefan Persson isn't either. Back then NHL games were never televised and people didn't have internet. And none of them were Salming calibre anyways.

If you showed a plain clothes picture of Kallur & Persson to random people on the street in Sweden most people wouldn't know who they are. If you showed a picture of Kallur's track & field twin daughters though a lot more people would recognize them.

d6eaead1-248f-4627-a024-d6b1ec92bd6f.jpg
20210201_005106-1.jpg

The first time I saw Anders Kallur play was probably that '79-'80 season....I remember my older brother - who was an Islanders fan - telling me that Kallur was the smartest and best defensive player in the NHL!

My brother might have been biased, but Kallur was a pretty good player.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes

I'm sure most Leaf fans are very worried....and disappointed in the team.

Marner has 0 goals in his last 17 playoff games.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm sure most Leaf fans are very worried....and disappointed in the team.

Marner has 0 goals in his last 17 playoff games.

An oft-quoted statistic at this point.

I don't get why Matthews is getting a pass when he has 1 goal and points in 2 out of 6 games himself.

The good news is that the Leafs have gone to game 7 basically without their three best players contributing much offensively. Been shocked by how well Spezza has played, for example.

If Matthews and Marner start cashing in and Tavares comes back.. how much better is that team than this one? The problem is, if they don't get going tomrorow we'll never find out.

Say Hey Kid

They met at the crossroads.
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
What 2 NHL players achieved a 1.000 PPG by having their games and points match exactly?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Matthews has 10 in his last 20, the same pace as his NHL-leading regular season goal scoring.
Nothing in this post is correct.
He's scored goals at a 0.59 clip over his career, which would be 12 in 20. He's scored 8 goals in his last 20 games, which is a weird place to start counting from as it's 5 games into the 2018 Bruins series. If you want to leave out the last two games of 2018, it's 8 goals in 18 games in the last 3 years (0.44).
Regular season during that stretch, he has 125 goals in 190 games, (0.66). He'd need 12 goals in the last 18 playoff games to match that.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
What 2 NHL players achieved a 1.000 PPG by having their games and points match exactly?
One of them would be Paul Kariya. Too bad he didn't get in another 11 games and points each for an even 1000.

The other one is Bill Cowley.

(as well as a ton of insignificant NHL players with one game on their record, I'm sure.)

Reactions: Hawkman

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
One of them would be Paul Kariya. Too bad he didn't get in another 11 games and points each for an even 1000. The other one is Bill Cowley. (as well as a ton of insignificant NHL players with one game on their record, I'm sure.)
Correct

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I never said career. I said the regular season, as in this regular season.
The numbers weren't right for that either. If you're talking about this year, he got 41 in 52 games, which is 0.78 goals a game, or good for 15-16 goals in 20 games.

Unless you saw "41" and forgot this wasn't an 82 game season?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Indeed.

I actually gave up watching games earlier in the season, annoyed by and eventually fed up with the fake cheers, empty stands, inconsistent play. Ugh.

I will return when there are full arenas.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
In retrospect, the 4 straight months of horrific power play should have been the first clue as to how we even got to this game. They're not nearly as good at playing in the offensive zone as you'd believe just from the narratives about what kind of team they are.

This remains true even if they score on this power play, or win the game, or what.

(Ron Howard voice: they didn't)

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
PlayerTotal12345678910NR
Lester Patrick1054222111111
Vyacheslav Starshinov853223132
Ryan Getzlaf84232111213
John LeClair74212221114
Chuck Rayner72131115211
Harry Cameron7221222313
Yvan Cournoyer5531111126
Harry "Hap" Holmes493111118
Frank Foyston482213116
Darryl Sittler481123117
Roy Conacher45121417
Didier Pitre431112227
Larry Murphy4212111217
Tom Barrasso36114118
Harry Lumley221112110
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's the end of the Top 200 Project and LeClair got the 200th and last spot.

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Somehow Edmonton isn't the biggest joke in the Canadian division anymore

Feels good
Maybe now is the time to revisit Ballard and Pocklington's proposed franchise swap.

I mean, I don't think either team should do it, but now is the time for tossing insane ideas out there.

Wasn't there a proposed trade involving the Islanders where it was a first overall for every pick in another team's draft? The Leafs can't do that this year because they have no picks, but we can work with the concept.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

So, the answer is 1996 Avs (Krupp + Ozolinsh are the giveaways) but they really botched what could be a cool idea. First of all, it shows the wrong lineup (last I checked the first line centre was Canadian) and theres apparently a missing player on the last line :facepalm:

Also, they show a Czech defender but thats incorrect. Skoula was on the 2001 squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad