ATD Chat Thread XVIII

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
I can't speak for anyone else, but to me "sir" appeals to hierarchy more than respect. I don't find it disrespectful, but I prefer not to be called sir and don't use it myself; as I address others as my equal, not my superior. As for your parents being wrong, I don't think so. Times and language usage change.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I can't speak for anyone else, but to me "sir" appeals to hierarchy more than respect. I don't find it disrespectful, but I prefer not to be called sir and don't use it myself; as I address others as my equal, not my superior. As for your parents being wrong, I don't think so. Times and language usage change.

It depends on where you grow up. In the south, it's traditionally very tied to respect. It's not so true anymore, but not to use it with someone older or a stranger used to be considered rude by many (and still is by some).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Thank you. I respect where you are coming from.

Reactions: RustyRazor

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
It depends on where you grow up. In the south, it's traditionally very tied to respect. It's not so true anymore, but not to use it with someone older or a stranger used to be considered rude by many (and still is by some).

Well for this and many, many other reasons I avoid the south as much as possible.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Without going too much off topic, I have long been of the impression that sir was simply a respectful way of addressing a man, generally older than you, though I've personally used it with people younger than me, many times. I don't discriminate by age, as age, is simply a number. There really isn't anything deeper tied to it IMHO.

I mean yes, as RR said, we can get into debates about patriarchy, and hierarchy, aaand linguistics, and while there are conversations to be had, I've not often met people who use that word, in an attempt to belittle someone or make them feel uncomfortable. I don't think the word sir represents a big enough chasm in terms of creating social classes we do have. There are much bigger issues at hand I wager.

Now, if a person feels strange in using it or being referred to as sir, I'll be respectful of that. It's the human thing to do.

I just dislike the comeback of "I work for a living" (I've heard this often in person, and frankly am stumped given I too, work for a living lol).

When someone articulates it the way RR did, I fully respect that position. We're not robots and feeling/emotion matter.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
"Sir" is not disrespectful but it is distancing.

It makes one feel less equal.

We all want to get along as equals (except for very few deluded self-identified "superiors").

"Sir" makes me feel old, out of the club. :(

It doesn't make me angry. It makes me sad.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm in a supervisory position but I hate being called sir. I'm not dumb enough to think I'm "one of the group" or anything - I'm your boss and I get that we aren't friends - but at least in an office situation it does feel... impersonal.

I always use sir with people in the service industry for some reason. I guess I feel like they probably get disrespected all day, so giving them an extra helping will hopefully balance out their day a bit.

Reactions: seventieslord

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I always use sir with people in the service industry for some reason. I guess I feel like they probably get disrespected all day, so giving them an extra helping will hopefully balance out their day a bit.
I generally do the same thing, though in truth, for me it's a combination of wanting to show respect and wanting distance.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
My 2 favorite color shows are The Avengers and The Prisoner. I started a 5th best player ever poll. Hasek got 40%, Crosby got 22%, and everyone else got < 9%. My draft prediction is:
432. ResilientBeast & rmartin65 - Vancouver Millionaires -
8467493.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
What animals are you afraid of?

(I say this as a seasoned camper who has had to consider it.)

I hope we all are terrified of facing a lion, hippo and gorilla. Two of them are vegans but they will easily, aggressively take your limbs off if provoked.

I would go head to head with one cheetah but not one mountain lion/puma/cougar. The size of head and shoulders and reputation decide the matter.

There is no bear I'd tackle, though the black bear I'd try and chill with, after all, they want fruit not meat.

I am not afraid of sharks because i have watched enough documentaries to know what to do to get them to f off,... as long as blood ain't in the water.

I am afraid of orca. Love whales, grew up on northern Vancouver Island where i personally saw two orca, "killer whales", beach a dolphin and eat it. In Port Hardy, my elementary school just across the beach about 500 m from the action.

I would avoid a male sheep (ram) but take on a wolf (not a pack though).

Eagles scare me. No other birds do, except their cousins, hawks, make me pause.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ha ha.

Just realized i feel emboldened because i nailed wordle in 3 attempts today, for the 2nd day in a row!!!

Testosterone or its digital equivalent rages through me.

Today is the wrong day to pick a fight with me. Cue Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" (1993).

My dad was more Eastwood, no one even thought about it. He didn't give a **** about anything "online". F'n put a log on the fire, get off your *** to do so, toughen up your palms if needed to cut timber.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I just dislike the comeback of "I work for a living" (I've heard this often in person, and frankly am stumped given I too, work for a living lol).

I became aware of this comeback for the first time when I overheard an old 1SG growl it at a PFC who had accidentally called the 1SG "sir". Didn't make sense to me then, doesn't make sense to me now.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Early morning musings on "sir."

I've NEVER objected to @ImporterExporter 's use of "sir" when applied to me- and never had the impression that it was meant to distance himself from anyone when he applied it to others.

I have preferences in forms of address- but I believe MY preferences should be secondary to the freedom of expression I believe all of us should grant all others. Put me on the side of the pundit who said "we're not entitled to our own pronouns, any more than we're entitled to our own adjectives!" [How would you feel if I said "my adjectives are 'sagacious and industrious'? Please respect my self-identification.":laugh:]

Here on Our Forum, we DO have sensible limitations on pejoratives and out-and-out epithets- because we're all here in the virtual conversation-parlour, and agreed to the rules of entry before walking through the door. I've run afoul of those rules a couple of times, just as some of you have. However, out there in real life, I think it's a fool's errand to criminalise epithets. I side with Milton's Areopagitica, and share Orwell's perspective that universally applied speech-codes make my back-end feel like it's being prepped for receipt of the short-end of the wedge.

Back to "sir" and "I work for a living" as a response. I am (emphatically) NOT former military. [When I was younger, I remained immature and would have never withstood the discipline. When a little older, I would have have had the maturity to deal with the discipline- but by that time, I'd carved out a passable blue-collar life. (I've been 'white-collar' for only the second-half of my working life.)] However, I get from listening to military/former military that Officers, particularly NCOs, always preferred being addressed by rank. There is the lingering impression among NCOs that they got their promotions the old-fashioned way ("they earned them"), which distinguishes them from a wide swath of the commissioned class, who are the "sirs" (and when employed to refer to them, they don't mean it as a sign of respect). So- when a lower grade GI on the non-commissioned track addresses a Sergeant as 'sir,' the Sergeant will insist on being addressed by rank, saying "I work for a living." [Implication being... many in the Commissioned ranks don't work for a living.]

Sometimes, the reflex to respond this way extends to their civilian life. It shouldn't- but if it does, it's understandable. When it gets weird is if someone who isn't former military reacts this way. Then, it's an affectation. It has all the authenticity of someone saying "you talk the talk- do you walk the walk?" before a Bocce-Ball match. You have the right to say this, but I also have the right to put you in my imaginary box labelled "Summer's Eve" on the outside.

Again- to IE- thank you for an interesting side topic, sir!

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Early morning musings on "sir."

I've NEVER objected to @ImporterExporter 's use of "sir" when applied to me- and never had the impression that it was meant to distance himself from anyone when he applied it to others.

I have preferences in forms of address- but I believe MY preferences should be secondary to the freedom of expression I believe all of us should grant all others. Put me on the side of the pundit who said "we're not entitled to our own pronouns, any more than we're entitled to our own adjectives!" [How would you feel if I said "my adjectives are 'sagacious and industrious'? Please respect my self-identification.":laugh:]

Here on Our Forum, we DO have sensible limitations on pejoratives and out-and-out epithets- because we're all here in the virtual conversation-parlour, and agreed to the rules of entry before walking through the door. I've run afoul of those rules a couple of times, just as some of you have. However, out there in real life, I think it's a fool's errand to criminalise epithets. I side with Milton's Areopagitica, and share Orwell's perspective that universally applied speech-codes make my back-end feel like it's being prepped for receipt of the short-end of the wedge.

Back to "sir" and "I work for a living" as a response. I am (emphatically) NOT former military. [When I was younger, I remained immature and would have never withstood the discipline. When a little older, I would have have had the maturity to deal with the discipline- but by that time, I'd carved out a passable blue-collar life. (I've been 'white-collar' for only the second-half of my working life.)] However, I get from listening to military/former military that Officers, particularly NCOs, always preferred being addressed by rank. There is the lingering impression among NCOs that they got their promotions the old-fashioned way ("they earned them"), which distinguishes them from a wide swath of the commissioned class, who are the "sirs" (and when employed to refer to them, they don't mean it as a sign of respect). So- when a lower grade GI on the non-commissioned track addresses a Sergeant as 'sir,' the Sergeant will insist on being addressed by rank, saying "I work for a living." [Implication being... many in the Commissioned ranks don't work for a living.]

Sometimes, the reflex to respond this way extends to their civilian life. It shouldn't- but if it does, it's understandable. When it gets weird is if someone who isn't former military reacts this way. Then, it's an affectation. It has all the authenticity of someone saying "you talk the talk- do you walk the walk?" before a Bocce-Ball match. You have the right to say this, but I also have the right to put you in my imaginary box labelled "Summer's Eve" on the outside.

Again- to IE- thank you for an interesting side topic, sir!

Great response CTP. Thank you for the eloquently stated response!

I'll never understand the notion of creating "distance", via language. To me, that reads like the person believe in social classes, tiers of valuation if you will. I want to create distance due to the fact I am X, and you are Y, and my position holds more value in society, than you. Of course, I could be misconstruing that. Obviously there are certain jobs and positions where you need to have a degree of separation, but that to me, is more about the job itself and not one person having more inherent value than the other, though I've often seen the line blurred there.

I loathe the idea that a job or financial standing is some sort of prestigious pedestal in which to stand on over someone else. Some of the nicest, hardest working people I've met, have jobs that by traditional measures would be considered less than. Farmers, janitorial workers. Service industry types. Those people are not beneath me and I will never allow myself or my son to view them as such. To view and judge someone based on their earnings or where they got a degree from for example, greatly irks me.

I've done the military thing. Went to college after that, paid for largely by my service. I make good money at this stage of my life, but have reached the pinnacle of where I will personally allow myself to go, because going further up the ladder, would greatly impact my ability to be a parent to my son and enjoy the activities that I do enjoy doing, like the ATD for example. Money and titles mean so very little to me. I own my own home, my car is paid off, and I don't live paycheck to paycheck, thankfully, and understand that I'm blessed to be in that position. Having a life beyond work is incredibly important to me, as I think the United States, especially has long adopted, er, been indoctrinated, in the "live to work" ideology vs the "work to live" that other 1st world nations have gravitated towards in recent times.

In the Air Force, I was in a flying career, which ironically, makes up less than 2% of the entire force (that always amused me given the name of the branch). I was fortunate enough to have one of the few jobs that put me in direct contact with officers and enlisted alike, and our missions took us all over the world, though given the time frame (2002-2006) mainly combat areas like Iraq, Afghanistan and just about every other area in the Middle East/SW Asia (also got into North Africa a few times). I went to restaurants, bars, site seeing tours, etc, with officers even though I was enlisted. We called each other by our first names generally, unless in formal settings, which was not common for most other military members. In that way, I was very fortunate to have a more human (less robotic) relationship with most of my comrades. I always cherished that, and still do many years later.

I don't recall anyone being offended or correcting me on the use of sir, though we're talking nearly 2 decades of time having passed. But again, I probably referred to my colleagues by their actual names more than a rank or sir, especially outside the US. I've experienced far more resistance to the usage of sir in the civilian arena, by people, who were never in the military.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
My favorite song of all time:

Echoes, Live in Pompeii, Part 1

Echoes, Live in Pompeii, Part 2

Some other works that have greatly influenced me and my playing style (guitar) over the years (just a fraction of what I listen to on the regular)

Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)
-underrated album is Meddle (my 3rd ranked behind DSOTM and WYWH)

The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) (1968)
-Revolver is my #2 from them

The Whitest Boy Alive – Dreams (2006)

Massive Attack – Mezzanine (1998)
-Blue Lines is very impressive as well

Yellowhouse – Carnival of Fears (2017)
Minus the Bear – Planet of Ice (2007)

The Doors – The Doors (1967)
-The End is one of my favorite singles of all time

Electric Octopus – Driving Under The Influence Of Jams (2017)
Talking Heads – Speaking In Tongues (1983)
RHCP – Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991)

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill (1972)
-Love Aja as well, and most of their offerings.

Erik Satie - Gymnopedies #1, Gnossiennes #1, Gnossiennes #3, Gnossiennes #4, Gnossiennes #5 (1888)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1959)

Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys - (1970)
-Machine Gun one of the all time great live guitar performances

Cint Mansell - Lux Aeterna (2000)

Love a lot of the early to mid 90's West Coast rap catalog as well.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I hope we all are terrified of facing a lion, hippo and gorilla. Two of them are vegans but they will easily, aggressively take your limbs off if provoked.

Apparently the hippo is responsible for more human deaths than any other animal in Africa (excluding the mosquito, which can transmit malaria). That's surprising when you consider the big cats, elephants, crocodiles, etc. Apparently hippos are territorial, ill-tempered, and much faster than they look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad