ATD Chat Thread XVIII

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Tagging @Theokritos just because he might know but if anyone else can help me out let me know

I was looking on SIHR there aren't complete league tables for the Soviet league like W/L/GF/GA etc

Does anyone know where I can find this data?

Thanks

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Tagging @Theokritos just because he might know but if anyone else can help me out let me know

I was looking on SIHR there aren't complete league tables for the Soviet league like W/L/GF/GA etc

Does anyone know where I can find this data?

Thanks

The French hockeyarchives have them. For example: 1966-67. At the bottom of each page, there is a link to the previous season and one to the next season. Or you can just change the URL to get to a specific year.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The French hockeyarchives have them. For example: 1966-67. At the bottom of each page, there is a link to the previous season and one to the next season. Or you can just change the URL to get to a specific year.

I see they have top 10s on that site, is there anywhere that reliably has scoring tables?

I see them on ElitePropsects, but is there anywhere else people use?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I get a stomachache at the glee for Crosby, Brodeur and Lidstrom (given their lack of era competition) and hope gladly for the appreciation of Gretzky, Hasek and Bourque.

Orr, Howe.... and such... have less gutteral reactions because they were before my time.

I feel sorry for hockey fans who grew up after Gretzky & Bourque, because they have LESSER ideals to compare to.

(Was hockey at its peak with Gordie Howe, Doug Harvey, then Bobby Orr and Bobby Hull? Maybe. Certainly not nowadays.)

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Got a puzzle for you:

This regular season, Trevor Zegras and Brendan Lemieux both put up the same unusual stat line.
If playoffs were included, Rasmus Sandin might join them.

The only other players to do this since the NHL has tracked this stat are (an average of 1 player per year):
Jamie Oleksiak
Max Comtois
Mikail Vorobyev
Colton Scissons
Drake Caggiula
Andrew MacDonald
Michael McCarron
Alex Burmistrov
Phil Varone

What did they do?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Okay. When my life is on the line, I want to leave this question,...

Who is funnier...

Beaker on The Muppets or Kramer on Seinfeld?

Signed,
VanIslander

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Got a puzzle for you:

This regular season, Trevor Zegras and Brendan Lemieux both put up the same unusual stat line.
If playoffs were included, Rasmus Sandin might join them.

The only other players to do this since the NHL has tracked this stat are (an average of 1 player per year):
Jamie Oleksiak
Max Comtois
Mikail Vorobyev
Colton Scissons
Drake Caggiula
Andrew MacDonald
Michael McCarron
Alex Burmistrov
Phil Varone

What did they do?

Rasmus Sandin is no longer in this club, if it helps anyone.

Okay. When my life is on the line, I want to leave this question,...

Who is funnier...

Beaker on The Muppets or Kramer on Seinfeld?

Signed,
VanIslander
Beaker. That whole second string of Muppets characters is a murderers row.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm stumped.
These players were all -2 or worse on the power play over a season.
Sandin was -1 in the regular season this year, and surrendered a playoff shorthanded goal on Thursday, but he scored tonight.
The other players listed may have also gotten one back in the playoffs, but I didn't check them all individually. Lemieux and Zegras aren't in this year's playoffs so they have to sit with that one for the time being.

Reactions: seventieslord

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
These players were all -2 or worse on the power play over a season.
Sandin was -1 in the regular season this year, and surrendered a playoff shorthanded goal on Thursday, but he scored tonight.
The other players listed may have also gotten one back in the playoffs, but I didn't check them all individually. Lemieux and Zegras aren't in this year's playoffs so they have to sit with that one for the time being.

that's hard to do!

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
that's hard to do!
Yeah, there were a lot more guys who have been -1 who basically never played on the power play and may as well have been changing lines the one time they got scored on. But more than one and something weird is happening.

I was looking around to seee if there was a video compilations of Anaheim's 9% power play this year, because I find that sort of fascinating and I don't really see much of the ducks, and the first thing that came up was a podcast episode where the title was something like "How to Fix the PP? Starts With Z, Rhymes With Egras!" ...I suppose not. In some ways, that line of thought mirrors the idea that Sandin was going to fix a problem that was all Morgan Rielly's fault, which tonight aside I think really overestimates the effect that changing out one guy is going to have.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My father was Hungarian.

I just read about goulash, and thought what is that?... Then I looked, and saw... oh yeah it was DINNER when i was growing up.;)

5 days out of 7 it was a staple in my household.

My horror suppers at friends' homes included Chef Boyardee, Swansan and Campbell's. That was back in the 1980's.

Today the packaged dinner experience is so less alien. But equally revolting.

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
My father was Hungarian.

I just read about goulash, and thought what is that?... Then I looked, and saw... oh yeah it was DINNER when i was growing up.;)

5 days out of 7 it was a staple in my household.

My horror suppers at friends' homes included Chef Boyardee, Swansan and Campbell's. That was back in the 1980's.

Today the packaged dinner experience is so less alien. But equally revolting.
From my experience, American-style Goulash (with macaroni) is quite a bit more common in Newfoundland than anywhere else in Canada, and I'm not sure how exactly the line of cultural influence brought it there.
Two questions:
- What was in yours? Was it more like a soup?
- Do you remember how your family members would pronounce the word? It's a pretty funny word when spoken in a Newfoundland accent.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Macaroni in goulash?! What kind of heresy is that?
Yeah, it's really not the same thing at all, and I don't have any idea how the name got passed on to that particular dish.
There really isn't any kind of Hungarian/central European history in Newfoundland to point to, though I assume we got it from the United States, which doesn't fully answer the question.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No. No. No.

Goulash has no macaroni.

Dumplings. Mix wheat and water and a little salt. Simple. Scoop spoonfuls into boiling water. Full stop.

Ok. If drunk, fry chopped bacon bits and add it with cheese to the dumplings (add a vinegary banana pepper if on hand), eating the goulash as an aside. (My Hungarian older relatives taught me that secret).

Macaroni never. It is like... adding a twinkie to a caviar dish, or ordering a hot dog from a 3 Michelin star restaurant or adding corn to pizza.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... Do you remember how your family members would pronounce the word? It's a pretty funny word when spoken in a Newfoundland accent.
OMG. It wasn't until 2nd grade that i tricked my dad into stop teaching me Hungarian (i told him i was mixing up my school class French with Hungarian and I worried about a bad test score. He really wanted me to be well educated so reluctantly nodded and laid off the old world language. (A win at the time :)... but now that he's gone :( maybe I shouldn't have resisted so much).

It is "goo - laush" (not 'eyelash' but 'au' in August)... most people indeed pronounce it the Hungarian way. But I am from B.C. so Newfies may say it differently. I have met only a few newfies in my life and none have said the word 'goulash'.

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It's not the same food, and it's called what it's called, where people eat it. Linguistically related, but none of you have an ounce of say what people in my province call it.

But I would suggest that the word is "Newfoundlanders".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad