ATD Chat Thread XVIII

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Most Canadians and Americans would think of the macaroni dish when they hear the word goulash.
Beefy-American-Goulash-6b.jpg

There are very many examples of dishes originating in a place and then becoming something quite different in other places. Nothing wrong with that.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
51qISa2xi+L._SS135_.jpg

Most Canadians and Americans would think of the ...
Most Canadians and Americans would think of the nasty substance they call chocolate sprinkles, but this is something completely different and much better.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Most Canadians and Americans would think of the macaroni dish when they hear the word goulash.
View attachment 438646
There are very many examples of dishes originating in a place and then becoming something quite different in other places. Nothing wrong with that.
Hungarian-Goulash-21-500x500.jpg
20a5b1131d11785f9c18915a98ee5c20.jpg

That's goulash in Slovakia and Hungary (you can see the dumplings Dirt101 mentions in the Hungarian one, we generally use potatoes).

Your picture looks more like a spaghetti Bolognese where one replaced the spaghetti with macaroni.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Hungarian-Goulash-21-500x500.jpg
20a5b1131d11785f9c18915a98ee5c20.jpg

That's goulash in Slovakia and Hungary (you can see the dumplings Dirt101 mentions in the Hungarian one, we generally use potatoes).

Your picture looks more like a spaghetti Bolognese where one replaced the spaghetti with macaroni.
Yeah, my mother used to make similar dishes to both of these - the macaroni/tomato/ground beef dish, and the beef/carrot/potato stew dish. In the latter, she used both potatoes and dumplings.

However, my family didn't call either of these dishes "goulash". But, I later discovered that many people referred to the macaroni dish as goulash.

Thanks for the info.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I get a stomachache at the glee for Crosby, Brodeur and Lidstrom (given their lack of era competition) and hope gladly for the appreciation of Gretzky, Hasek and Bourque.

Orr, Howe.... and such... have less gutteral reactions because they were before my time.

I feel sorry for hockey fans who grew up after Gretzky & Bourque, because they have LESSER ideals to compare to.

(Was hockey at its peak with Gordie Howe, Doug Harvey, then Bobby Orr and Bobby Hull? Maybe. Certainly not nowadays.)

I've talked about this with my friends and cousins in recent years. It feels like we just don't have the same idols we used to. there are fewer players now who feel "larger than life" - I don't just mean in terms of how good they are. Yeah, Crosby has exceeded Yzerman, Sakic and now surely Messier. Some people wrongly think Lidstrom matched Bourque's greatness. Ovechkin is ahead of Lafleur in all ways except the most important one. And so on.

But match the 80s-90s up player-for-player and you just don't see the same "aura" around the top personalities that you did before. Crosby is seen as an Yzerman-like figure. There's no comparable to Gretzky, Lemieux or Messier. There's no one like Ray Bourque right now. There's no one like Paul Coffey, there's no one like Chris Chelios. OK, I'll grant you Chara is like our Chelios.

There are certainly no goalies with a Roy or Hasek-like aura and even a lesser star like Brodeur now feels like a relic from a bygone age. The Ryan Miller retirement makes you think, "gee, that's the end of an institution there", but it's nothing compared to what you'd think at Brodeur's retirement. If Crosby is our Yzerman, who's our Trottier? Toews? Nah, not feeling it. Who's our Sakic? Surely not Malkin. If Ovy is (was) a Lafleur or Bossy, who's the other of the two? Kane? Nah, not quite.

We've replaced the presence of Yzerman, Chelios, Briefly Lafleur and now Brett Hull, but I feel like there's a lot missing there compared to 30 years ago.

Did they just feel that way because we were younger and more easily awe-inspired? Or is there something legit to this?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Kucherov is a legit underrated superstar. He just finished a series with 11 points in 6 games, is like third or fourth active ppg leader league-wide (over a sample size nearing 100 games now), and is as clutch as they come.

Reactions: Hawkman

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Kucherov is a legit underrated superstar. He just finished a series with 11 points in 6 games, is like third or fourth active ppg leader league-wide (over a sample size nearing 100 games now), and is as clutch as they come.

Man how does it feel having stars that show up in the playoffs?

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I've talked about this with my friends and cousins in recent years. It feels like we just don't have the same idols we used to. there are fewer players now who feel "larger than life" - I don't just mean in terms of how good they are. Yeah, Crosby has exceeded Yzerman, Sakic and now surely Messier. Some people wrongly think Lidstrom matched Bourque's greatness. Ovechkin is ahead of Lafleur in all ways except the most important one. And so on.

But match the 80s-90s up player-for-player and you just don't see the same "aura" around the top personalities that you did before. Crosby is seen as an Yzerman-like figure. There's no comparable to Gretzky, Lemieux or Messier. There's no one like Ray Bourque right now. There's no one like Paul Coffey, there's no one like Chris Chelios. OK, I'll grant you Chara is like our Chelios.

There are certainly no goalies with a Roy or Hasek-like aura and even a lesser star like Brodeur now feels like a relic from a bygone age. The Ryan Miller retirement makes you think, "gee, that's the end of an institution there", but it's nothing compared to what you'd think at Brodeur's retirement. If Crosby is our Yzerman, who's our Trottier? Toews? Nah, not feeling it. Who's our Sakic? Surely not Malkin. If Ovy is (was) a Lafleur or Bossy, who's the other of the two? Kane? Nah, not quite.

We've replaced the presence of Yzerman, Chelios, Briefly Lafleur and now Brett Hull, but I feel like there's a lot missing there compared to 30 years ago.

Did they just feel that way because we were younger and more easily awe-inspired? Or is there something legit to this?

Both, I'd say, and I think the aura aspect you speak of is a combination of skill and personality that's not as prevalent today. For one thing, there hasn't been a player at the level of Gretzky or Lemieux come along since. When Hasek and Roy retired, I believe we saw the retirement of the top two goalies in history. Also, guys like Crosby and McDavid, while obviously excellent players, just don't have magnetic personalities, as was discussed elsewhere recently. I mean, Gretzky wasn't exactly a wild man either, but to me he's always had that "aw, shucks" feeling about him that at least engages. Ovi has a bigger personality, but of the really elite players right now, he kind of stands out there. I think some of that plays into the idea of being larger than life that you mentioned. So I think that it's a two-sided coin. It's not just the talent level, but I don't think most current stars are as engaging personality-wise as those in bygone years.

On the other hand, as we get older, we just understand more and more that they're people just like us, only they have athletic abilities we can't dream of, not to mention that with age comes a different system of priorities. I've met several professional athletes in the past, all as an adult, and it didn't affect me anywhere near the way it would have when I was a kid. I mean, it was fun, but I wasn't star struck or anything like that. I'm sure it helped that they were all friendly and down to earth, but I think about how 10-year-old me would have reacted to that, and I would have freaked out with excitement. Adult me understood they were just people too and that, while I still enjoy sports, it's not the be all, end all it once had been for me. It doesn't mean there was no excitement, and it doesn't mean there aren't certain individuals I'd react more strongly to, but it did mean I had changed a lot.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Anders Kallur was on that team as well (guy came up when I googled).
Agreed. He played in the 79-80 regular season, but not the playoffs and Hockey Reference only gives him credit for 3 SCs, although NHL.com gives him credit for 4. Odd.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Agreed. He played in the 79-80 regular season, but not the playoffs and Hockey Reference only gives him credit for 3 SCs, although NHL.com gives him credit for 4. Odd.
He definitely has 4 but HR only triggers cup victories in cases where a player plays in the playoffs for a cup winner.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Was he injured during the playoffs that year or something? Otherwise it seems odd that he didn't play in the playoffs after playing 76 regular season games.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

I agree with you but I think most of this site would just say

old.jpg

Personally I watch a lot less hockey than in the past because I find it really jagged. So many very short carries and short passes and sooo many broken plays. Constant chips all over. Then when a team actually gets into the zone you have everyone collapsing in front and most of the goals are garbage goals that deflect of one of the 8 sets of legs and sticks in front.

I just don't find it as fun to watch as players making actual plays.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Is it just hockey though? Feels like all the major North American sports lack the "star aura" of the 1980s. I mean, Tom Brady is objectively probably the GOAT in the NFL and he's just so... boring. And no Jordan/Bird/Johnson star power in the NBA. I don't know if it's just because I'm old that it feels differently, or if there's a difference in the marketing, or whatever.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Is it just hockey though? Feels like all the major North American sports lack the "star aura" of the 1980s. I mean, Tom Brady is objectively probably the GOAT in the NFL and he's just so... boring. And no Jordan/Bird/Johnson star power in the NBA. I don't know if it's just because I'm old that it feels differently, or if there's a difference in the marketing, or whatever.

Maybe it is partly because there are so many things competing for our interest now, and so many more channels (literally on TV/web streaming etc.) for information to reach us too.

That and things are so corporate now. There are no personalities because everyone has to walk on eggshells and be careful of what they say or they will lose endorsements or get cancelled etc. A whole lot of beige for sure. Hockey players rarely show a personality to start with so it goes double there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad