ATD Chat Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well Drai should be putting to bed the notion he was just a by product of McD. I've seen so many people saying that on the forums since last year.

He's a horse.
Isn't he lighting up some trash defenses? I mean - credit in that you can only play who you are scheduled for, but in a way the McDavid injury happened at the perfect time.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Isn't he lighting up some trash defenses? I mean - credit in that you can only play who you are scheduled for, but in a way the McDavid injury happened at the perfect time.

We played Chicago (W), Tampa (L), Florida (W), Carolina (W)

In this stretch of just 4 games Draisaitl has 10 points.

His line is really the only line that is a consistent threat offensively, though our depth has been showing up on the score sheet lately

He's the front runner to sweep the Hart, Lindsay and Art Ross, opened up a 10 point lead and the pack hasn't even caught up to McDavid. To cap it off we're back in 1st in the Pacific division

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
You deleted my content from the draft thread saying that it wasn't "valuable" to future drafts, when everything I post is literally the greatest thing ever written.
tenor.gif

Reactions: The Macho Man

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Bucci's best American-born hockey players: Ranking the top 20

This just in - Pat Lafontaine is better than Chris Chelios and Phil Housley is better than Mark Howe.
You bury the lead:

There are apparently supposedly twenty (20) better American hockey players than HHOFer Frank "Mr. Zero" Brimsek.

Brimsek is my litmus test any time greatest Americans are discussed. I wondered: Will he be top 3, 5 or 10? He is nowhere there.

ESPN Sportsdesk is all news right now, no historical memory.

A joke.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
You bury the lead:

There are apparently supposedly twenty (20) better American hockey players than HHOFer Frank "Mr. Zero" Brimsek.

Brinsek is my litmus test any time greatest Americans are discussed. I wondered: Will he be top 3, 5 or 10? He is nowhere on the top 20.

A joke.
Brimsek was 12th. But yeah - he should be either #1 or #2.

And while ignoring him is bullshit, I think pointing out the disparity between *contemporaries* when one was clearly better than the other during their careers is even more of an indictment to the process. A lot of lists will neglect some historical players - it happens and it sucks but you can at least understand it in the "well they didn't do the research" type of way. But when they are contemporaries, and one was universally considered better than the other, and your list somehow revises that (presumably based purely on points finishes) - I think that's an even better indicator than ignorance of history that the list is shit.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Brimsek was 12th. But yeah - he should be either #1 or #2.

And while ignoring him is bull****, I think pointing out the disparity between *contemporaries* when one was clearly better than the other during their careers is even more of an indictment to the process. A lot of lists will neglect some historical players - it happens and it sucks but you can at least understand it in the "well they didn't do the research" type of way. But when they are contemporaries, and one was universally considered better than the other, and your list somehow revises that (presumably based purely on points finishes) - I think that's an even better indicator than ignorance of history that the list is ****.

I always like when lists like this mention the Vezina before the 80s like it's even close to the same as it is now

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I always like when lists like this mention the Vezina before the 80s like it's even close to the same as it is now
TBF he was also twice 1st-team all star, so that's about as close as you can get as a proxy (ignoring the trends in AS voting).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You bury the lead:

Brimsek is my litmus test any time greatest Americans are discussed. I wondered: Will he be top 3, 5 or 10? He is nowhere on the top 20.

A joke.

ESPN has just become another political network masquerading as a sports show. It's beyond asinine how much time they spend on issues not related to sports. Hockey has basically been purged completely for years there anyway. I give them zero time or respect.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I understand the seduction behind the Kane ranking (even if I've seen enough winters to not be fully taken in by it).

However, Matthews & Eichel in the top-5 is recency-bias on Little Blue Pills...

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
None of those clowns have ANY knowledge about hockey prior to expansion other than knowing who Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr were. It's beyond obvious. I wouldn't give the vast majority of hockey writers a vote on anything more than pouring piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel.

They think the Markus Nasland trade was the worst in Pittsburgh history.

I guess they don't remember us sending Jagr to Washington for Kris Beech, but whatever......

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not sure if I ever shared this here or not before. I posted this in a Lindros thread on the HoH forum but thought I’d lost it here as well as I’m sure some may find it interesting.

Here’s an interesting item from my collection, given to me a few years ago by a friend of mine.

The book was from Ron Caron’s personal collection and was given to him by Eric Lindros himself back in 1992. Note the “help” at the end. According to Ron Caron’s nephew, Eric sent copies of his book out to numerous NHL GM’s and included the “help” note to teams that he wished to play for. Looks like Eric wouldn’t have minded being a Blue. :)

I think it’s one of the coolest pieces in my collection.

37F4DE19-9C1B-4592-BABD-C6ED99DAE48C.jpeg

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Not sure if I ever shared this here or not before. I posted this in a Lindros thread on the HoH forum but thought I’d lost it here as well as I’m sure some may find it interesting.

Here’s an interesting item from my collection, given to me a few years ago by a friend of mine.

The book was from Ron Caron’s personal collection and was given to him by Eric Lindros himself back in 1992. Note the “help” at the end. According to Ron Caron’s nephew, Eric sent copies of his book out to numerous NHL GM’s and included the “help” note to teams that he wished to play for. Looks like Eric wouldn’t have minded being a Blue. :)

I think it’s one of the coolest pieces in my collection.

View attachment 322817

PS: What happened with that whole Bossy thing?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Didn’t Caron famously say at the time that Bossy “couldn’t even play for the Habs farm club?

edit: Actually, it appears Caron was citing another scout at the time.

Caron didn't like him. Pollock went personally and it was a goonfest and Bossy didn't play well. Caron also advised Pollock not to do a deal for Dionne at one point. He had Dionne (to go with Lafleur) in his pocket but said no.

Bossy was even better a year or two before but badly hurt his knee. A friend of mine from Montreal grew up with him. If Bossy had a health knee and back- wow..

Bossy didn't play much defense in jr either.

There's stuff in the new Scotty book about all that.

Habs could have had Lafleur, Dionne AND Bossy. Pollock also famously tried to fleece Torrey for Potvin- but Torrey had worked for the Seals and saw how trading picks lost them Lafleur so decided he would hold onto all of his picks going forward. There's a story about Pollock following Torrey all around the Forum trying to talk him into it.

Shutt - Lemaire - Lafleur
? - Dionne - Bossy

Potvin - Lapointe
Robinson - Savard
Pushing two solid US born D to the third pairing (one of whom could have easily been part of a Big Four had he not retired early).

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
MAA Condominiums & Penthouses

How serious are you guys about hockey history? 300k for a studio. That's not where they played anyway - but luckily they just built condos next to/partially on the site of the old Victoria Rink where they DID play (cheapest is 436k and there's only like 6 left).

MAA Condominiums & Penthouses | Condos in Downtown

l-maa-suites-et-penthouses-757823580x.jpg

I love how they doctored the photo to make it look half decent. That small brick building to the right of the condos is the parking lot that stands on the site of teh former Victoria Rink. That alley looking east makes a great pic because you can get the parking lot of what used to be Victoria Rink, then behind that the former Windsor Hotel (where the NHL and Habs were formed) and then the Sun Life Building (former NHL HQ) all in one photo. Then look south to see the Bell Centre. Four hockey sites from one standstill. There's also a small cafe in the parking lot, so you can have a coffee on the site where the first Stanley Cup was won. Maybe the Habs need to hold a seance on this spot.

196_e.jpg

Site of Victoria Rink (left), Windsor Hotel (right):
Screenshot (206).png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad