ATD Chat Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I’m a pissed off Habs fan right now, tired of the complete incompetence of the management and mediocrity of the organization. So I’m just grouchy lol
Is it weird that I have a general kind of confidence in the Leafs’ management going forward, but kind of hate the team as constructed?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Is it weird that I have a general kind of confidence in the Leafs’ management going forward, but kind of hate the team as constructed?

Well, not that I think Dubas is a great GM by any stretch (the Leafs have their warts and it’s obvious), but I’d trade him straight up for Bergevin without thinking twice.

I also wish Montreal had a guy like Shanahan as president. Instead, we’re stuck with Bergevin on year 8 of his 5 year plan working directly with Geoff Molson who clearly seems to be fine with status quo.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Actually, the Habs make good trades. We need two more big wins on the trade front if this rebuild-on-the-fly thing is going to work. I think Molson has him on a leash, so not sure I blame him for his team building strategy.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Actually, the Habs make good trades. We need two more big wins on the trade front if this rebuild-on-the-fly thing is going to work.

Bergevin has won some trades, I’ll give him that. But the man clearly has no vision to run a successful NHL club. He has clearly outstayed his welcome. The guy has entered Rejean Houle territory for me.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Bergevin has won some trades, I’ll give him that. But the man clearly has no vision to run a successful NHL club. He has clearly outstayed his welcome. The guy has entered Rejean Houle territory for me.

This Colorado thing has to work out or his days are numbered I would think.

Price played again tonight though, so they are likely talking about who - Drouin? Kovi? Petry? Tatar?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
This Colorado thing has to work out or his days are numbered I would think.

I think the worst thing that could have happened to the Habs was winning that game against Washington on Thursday. Now we are about to beat the Sens. I’m absolutely convinced that Marc STILL thinks we have a shot at the playoffs. I don’t expect us to sell even though anyone who isn’t a moron would admit that it’s the right call.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think the worst thing that could have happened to the Habs is winning that game against Washington on Thursday. I’m absolutely convinced that Marc STILL thinks we have a shot at the playoffs.

Kovalchuk should have been traded 10 days ago. They knew Gallagher was coming back and his production was going to drop.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Kovalchuk should have been traded 10 days ago.

Nostalgia wise, a part of me wants him to stay. Because I’ve loved the player since 2001 and it’s just damn cool to see him in a Habs jersey. But I know the correct call is obviously to sell to the highest bidder and acquire an asset to help you in the future. 700k turning into a 2nd round pick or decent level prospect? You HAVE to take that..

Hell, bring him back in the off-season but absolutely trade him on Monday.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Nostalgia wise, a part of me wants him to stay. Because I’ve loved the player since 2001 and it’s just damn cool to see him in a Habs jersey. But I know the correct call is obviously to sell to the highest bidder and acquire an asset to help you in the future. 700k turning into a 2nd round pick or decent level prospect? You HAVE to take that..

Hell, bring him back in the off-season but absolutely trade him on Monday.

Two ships in the night.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If Montreal wants to become a contender they need to tank when they can, like this year. It's that simple.

Their last real superstar forward was Guy Lafleur. That's a long time ago.

They had a few strong forwards like Kovalev, Richer, Naslund, Koivu, Turgeon, Damphousse, Recchi, Pacioretty and so on, but no Art Ross contender.

The best season by a forward since the Lafleur era was Kovalev in 2007-2008. He was really great that year, but it's weak to be the absolute best from the last 30 years.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If Montreal wants to become a contender they need to tank when they can, like this year. It's that simple.

Their last real superstar forward was Guy Lafleur. That's a long time ago.

They had a few strong forwards like Kovalev, Richer, Naslund, Koivu, Turgeon, Damphousse, Recchi, Pacioretty and so on, but no Art Ross contender.

I wonder if there were any real missed chances in tanking? They've stupidly not tanked perhaps, but not sure it's made a difference. They chose KK over Tkachuk... that's a questionable move.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wonder if there were any real missed chances in tanking? They've stupidly not tanked perhaps, but not sure it's made a difference. They chose KK over Tkachuk... that's a questionable move.

The entire stretch during the dead puck era should have gotten us multiple Top 3 picks instead of trying to make the playoffs with embarrassing lineups.

This year we should have tanked hard; there was no chance of winning the Stanley Cup.

True that we got unlucky when we did have a 3rd overall,: The Galchenyuk draft was very weak, and Kotkaniemi we shall see. There was nobody clearly ahead of the pack at 3rd. They made the right call when we had the 5th overall in the Crosby draft by taking Price, easily the 2nd best player, though some would have prefered Kopitar.

My point is you need 1st and 2nd overalls, and you need to get lucky and be it in a year when there's a strong talent.

Lafrenière would have been magical.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The entire stretch during the dead puck era should have gotten us multiple Top 3 picks instead of trying to make the playoffs with embarrassing lineups.
1. Habs fans had recent memories of the UNLIKELY Stanley Cups of 1993 & 1986.

2. Habs made the playoffs 5 of the 9 DPE postseasons, three times winning a round.

3. Recchi, Damphousse, Turgeon, Koivu, Rucinsky, Savage, Brisebois, ... were expected to bring the Habs once again to the promised land.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
1. Habs fans had recent memories of the UNLIKELY Stanley Cups of 1993 & 1986.

2. Habs made the playoffs 5 of the 9 DPE postseasons, three times winning a round.

3. Recchi, Damphousse, Turgeon, Koivu, Rucinsky, Savage, Brisebois, ... were expected to bring the Habs once again to the promised land.

I was more referring to the early-2000s. Like 2000-2004. That was some dark corner of Habs history let me tell you. Regardless of their actual results, you know you're not winning any trophy with lineups like that. I think Montreal was also having financial problems back then.

Check the lineup:

1999-00 Montreal Canadiens Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Also... Brian Savage?! Mr. October? Rucinsky? Brisebois? OK players but not ones I'd bet on bringing me to any land, nevermind the promised one.

Recchi, Damphousse, Turgeon were all gone by 1999. Only Koivu remained. Markov was with the team but he didn't hit his stride until after the lockout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad