ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
First, a brief tour of the worldview of a flat-earther: While writing off buckets of concrete evidence that Earth is spherical, they readily accept a laundry list of propositions that some would call ludicrous. The leading flat-earther theory holds that Earth is a disc with the Arctic Circle in the center and Antarctica, a 150-foot-tall wall of ice, around the rim. NASA employees, they say, guard this ice wall to prevent people from climbing over and falling off the disc. ... Furthermore, Earth's gravity is an illusion, they say. Objects do not accelerate downward; instead, the disc of Earth accelerates upward at 32 feet per second squared (9.8 meters per second squared), driven up by a mysterious force called dark energy. ... As for what lies underneath the disc of Earth, this is unknown, but most flat-earthers believe it is composed of "rocks." ... Then, there's the conspiracy theory: Flat-earthers believe photos of the globe are photoshopped; GPS devices are rigged to make airplane pilots think they are flying in straight lines around a sphere when they are actually flying in circles above a disc.
http://www.livescience.com/24310-flat-earth-belief.html

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Wait.. there are still people in existence that think the Earth is flat? Wut?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Oh yeah, plenty. They're a fringe though. Even anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO nuts, climate deniers and young earth creationists laugh at them for being anti-science :laugh:

Contrary to Wrigley's post, I have a feeling that there's no prevailing wisdom in their circles, though. For example, I doubt they all believe that the earth is hurtling upwards due to dark energy - many probably have their own idea.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Contrary to Wrigley's post, I have a feeling that there's no prevailing wisdom in their circles, though. For example, I doubt they all believe that the earth is hurtling upwards due to dark energy - many probably have their own idea.
One would think that there can't be any prevailing wisdom where there is no wisdom at all. :D

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
One would think that there can't be any prevailing wisdom where there is no wisdom at all. :D

I sat there for like fifteen seconds trying to think of a better word. I was like.... "paradigm?..... no..... uh, sentiment?.... no..... ok, wisdom, then."

It's so fitting I get called out for that word. hahahahaha

Jun 15, 2007
I just want to comment about chiropractic/other ******** again.

The reason why these alternative medicines survive is because they work. Well sort of. There will always be one friend/family member who has tried it and says it worked. They recommend it to their friends and family, and we have a self perpetuating cycle. They aren't lying and they aren't stupid, it worked for them. They are just mistaken about the cause.

There's a lack of scientific literacy in the world. People often mistake correlation with causation, even people who should know better. For many years, health professionals and lifestyle writers perpetuated the myth that the antioxidants found in red wine promoted heart health. Luckily most have come around on this topic, recognising that wine drinkers are generally more affluent and thus the life expectancy increase can mostly be attributed to better health care.

I often find myself rolling my eyes at health/nutrition/science articles found in major newspapers because it's quite clear the authors have no clue what they are talking about. Either that or they sold out for clicks. Within the narrow field that I have some expertise in, I find most journalism to be garbage. However, when I read an article about, for example, the cultural customs of Zulu tribesmen, I take it face value. Yet I'm sure there's some anthropologist out there rolling his eyes thinking about the massive oversimplifications this journalist made.

Which brings us back to hockey. (See, this rant isn't completely off topic!) I know nothing about Cyclone Taylor so I take articles at face value. And yet sports journalism is probably the lowest form of journalism infested with bottom feeding cretins like Steve Simmons and Bruce Garrioch. That's why in my first draft I drafted almost all 70s- present players. That backfired on me a bit and I reversed tack this year but I maintain that when you draft older players you are pretty much just taking sports journalism at face value.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I just want to comment about chiropractic/other ******** again.

The reason why these alternative medicines survive is because they work. Well sort of. There will always be one friend/family member who has tried it and says it worked. They recommend it to their friends and family, and we have a self perpetuating cycle. They aren't lying and they aren't stupid, it worked for them. They are just mistaken about the cause.

There's a lack of scientific literacy in the world. People often mistake correlation with causation, even people who should know better. For many years, health professionals and lifestyle writers perpetuated the myth that the antioxidants found in red wine promoted heart health. Luckily most have come around on this topic, recognising that wine drinkers are generally more affluent and thus the life expectancy increase can mostly be attributed to better health care.

I often find myself rolling my eyes at health/nutrition/science articles found in major newspapers because it's quite clear the authors have no clue what they are talking about. Either that or they sold out for clicks. Within the narrow field that I have some expertise in, I find most journalism to be garbage. However, when I read an article about, for example, the cultural customs of Zulu tribesmen, I take it face value. Yet I'm sure there's some anthropologist out there rolling his eyes thinking about the massive oversimplifications this journalist made.

Which brings us back to hockey. (See, this rant isn't completely off topic!) I know nothing about Cyclone Taylor so I take articles at face value. And yet sports journalism is probably the lowest form of journalism infested with bottom feeding cretins like Steve Simmons and Bruce Garrioch. That's why in my first draft I drafted almost all 70s- present players. That backfired on me a bit and I reversed tack this year but I maintain that when you draft older players you are pretty much just taking sports journalism at face value.

Lots of good points here. One thing you're absolutely right about is that we take a lot of what we find from a long time ago at face value, but we don't really have much choice in the matter. Take any modern player for example, and you can find dozens of articles talking about him, all with different things to say, and there are tons of different stats to look at to break down the quality of their game.

For many older players, we have little more than a handful of quotes with vague descriptions of their games.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

One more thing to add on the older players is that the hometown newspapers back then tended to be less critical and overly appreciative towards the players of their team. I've seen multiple posts on here saying that for older players praise from an opposing team's hometown newspaper is the best source you can get to promote your player.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If I didn't have any scientific knowledge available (or barely), and wanted to see if the earth was curved or flat, I'd take two rafts (call them A and B), install a pole on B (perpendicular to B), bring a friend, go on calm water, stop A and let B move away from A.If at some point in time you can still see the pole but not the actual raft B from the position of A, then you know the earth is curved.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In a Trump universe, yeah, anything is possible.

It doesn't look flat here, though. But if you spend enough money, you can make anything look real.
earth-trump-hair.jpg

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Oh boy.. the Leafs have been an absolute dumpster fire defensively since the all star break. They are actually 30th in the league in GA and 26th in shot attempts against since then. It amazes me that they are somehow tied for 15th in points in that time frame.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm sure there was a famous coach (maybe in hockey?) who tried to get his players to avoid sexual relations the night before a game.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Phil Watson.
He's already been drafted as a centre and had a career losing record as a coach, so I think he's safe to talk about here.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Goal differentials by division:

Metropolitan +123
Central -26
Atlantic -46
Pacific -51

Keep in mind that all divisional games are net zero, so this immense advantage was gained in their games outside their division.

I haven't checked this for other seasons, but I assume this kind of dominance by one division is very rare.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
2 Forwards, 2 D and 2 goalies Sutter's new defensive system

:laugh:

The prevailing theory appears to be that Bishop is now going to get flipped somewhere else, possibly to another team in the East. That's really the only way this makes sense, but then why wouldn't Tampa Bay make that trade to that eastern team? Maybe they didn't want to eat even more of Bishop's salary. I guess LA will eat the rest of whatever else they need to in order to move him.

The other pick going to Tampa is a conditional one based on how well the Kings do in the playoffs. Miss the playoffs = no pick, and could become as high as a 2nd. Could turn into..

Bishop, 5th for Cernak, 2nd, 7th.

I dunno, but I think Yzerman did a great job turning an asset that was probably going to be lost to the expansion draft anyways into something decent.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
:laugh:

The prevailing theory appears to be that Bishop is now going to get flipped somewhere else, possibly to another team in the East. That's really the only way this makes sense, but then why wouldn't Tampa Bay make that trade to that eastern team? Maybe they didn't want to eat even more of Bishop's salary. I guess LA will eat the rest of whatever else they need to in order to move him.

The other pick going to Tampa is a conditional one based on how well the Kings do in the playoffs. Miss the playoffs = no pick, and could become as high as a 2nd. Could turn into..

Bishop, 5th for Cernak, 2nd, 7th.

I dunno, but I think Yzerman did a great job turning an asset that was probably going to be lost to the expansion draft anyways into something decent.

Bishop is a UFA he wasn't able to be selected in the expansion draft anyway.

Budaj can now be exposed by TBay to meet the requirements

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Bishop is a UFA he wasn't able to be selected in the expansion draft anyway.

Budaj can now be exposed by TBay to meet the requirements

So TB would have been forced to expose Vasilevsky? :laugh:

This keeps getting better and better. I had already felt TB had absolutely no leverage in a trade involving Bishop, but it seems the Kings did them a really huge favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad