ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Anybody who thinks Shattenkirk is worth an iota less than Mike Green is... OUT TO LUNCH.

9d4192834ba80aca586d8a5472c54f62.jpg

My Caps are going to the conference finals! :yo: Book it!

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Anybody who thinks Shattenkirk is worth an iota less than Mike Green is... OUT TO LUNCH.

9d4192834ba80aca586d8a5472c54f62.jpg

My Caps are going to the conference finals! :yo: Book it!

At his peak?

Much worse offensively. Much better defensively. Talking about Shattenkirk of course. Green at his best offensively was very good offensively, even if he didn't provide adequate enough defensive coverage for an ECHL team.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Really depends what Mike Green you're talking about, VI.

the 1st all-star Green, despite not really being a catalyst, picked up a ton of opportunistic points (at an almost historic level for the era) and wasn't really any worse defensively.

The Green of the past 5 years has just been a so-so #2-3 defenseman, and really that's all Shattenkirk is, aside from the PP. I've seen Blues fans call him their #4 defenseman this season.

He'll add to Washington's depth, absolutely. But someone is going to sign him to "stud #1 all-around D" money and will absolutely rue the day they did.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Really depends what Mike Green you're talking about, VI.

the 1st all-star Green, despite not really being a catalyst, picked up a ton of opportunistic points (at an almost historic level for the era) and wasn't really any worse defensively.

The Green of the past 5 years has just been a so-so #2-3 defenseman, and really that's all Shattenkirk is, aside from the PP. I've seen Blues fans call him their #4 defenseman this season.

He'll add to Washington's depth, absolutely. But someone is going to sign him to "stud #1 all-around D" money and will absolutely rue the day they did.

When NYR did that with Brad Richards, they regretted after only what? 2 seasons? :laugh:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
"Mike Green" and "defensive" I've never seen accurately describe a game.

Of course, we live in a universe where Karlsson is repeatedly called the best defenseman without lightning striking it down.

:shakehead

jarek

Aug 15, 2009

Of course, we live in a universe where Karlsson is repeatedly called the best defenseman without lightning striking it down.

Karlsson is very strong defensively in certain ways. Being a great defensive player isn't just about laying guys out.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Do you really think Mike Green of the past and Erik Karlsson of the present score their points in the same way? They are completely different players. The only thing that was the same about these guys is that they were more valuable in the offensive zone.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

This, because I gave Green this glowing praise?

wasn't really any worse defensively (than Shattenkirk).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I've been on record since Green's early years in Washington (as a Caps fan myself), calling him a loser because of his lack of defensive play and asking the franchise time and again to trade him!

Gawd I MUST have dissed him several times on this board.

The boy can't play defense. Period.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've been on record since Green's early years in Washington (as a Caps fan myself), calling him a loser because of his lack of defensive play and asking the franchise time and again to trade him!

Gawd I MUST have dissed him several times on this board.

The boy can't play defense. Period.

And who disagrees with you exactly?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
The Washington Capitals have acquired defenceman Kevin Shattenkirk and goaltender Pheonix Copley from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for forwards Zach Sanford and Brad Malone, the Capitals’ first-round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft and a conditional draft pick in 2019.

What a bargain compared to what the Wild paid for Hanzal!

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
What are the Leafs' chances of retaining Boyle past this season? Maybe they offer him a 2-3 year contract. If he believes the team is quickly trending up it might be incentive enough for him to stay.

He's currently getting paid 2 mil per year. Maybe 3 years, 1.5 per year would do it?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
What are the Leafs' chances of retaining Boyle past this season? Maybe they offer him a 2-3 year contract. If he believes the team is quickly trending up it might be incentive enough for him to stay.

He's currently getting paid 2 mil per year. Maybe 3 years, 1.5 per year would do it?

I'm pretty sure he would ask for $3.5m per or more.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Honestly, I'd rather not have two spoken-for spaces on the 4th line, and Matt Martin has one.

Best case scenario might be flipping his rights for a small price in the spring.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I doubt 99% of players would take a paycut period, even if it was to stay in LA, NY or some other actually attractive destination.

True. Based on what we see from him as a Leaf, I'd probably be comfortable going up to 2.5 or so, but no more. 4th liners simply don't get enough ice time to justify 3.5+, I don't really care how good they are.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Capitals are the NHLs most complete team at this point. I really think this could be their year, they had a ****** d-corps during Ovies peak and now they may have the best/deepest in the NHL.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Capitals are the NHLs most complete team at this point. I really think this could be their year, they had a ****** d-corps during Ovies peak and now they may have the best/deepest in the NHL.

We have thought all these things a few times.

Did Shattenkirk make them better? on paper he did, but did he balance the roster?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
They are obviously going all in and I don't judge them. This is the best team that they have ever had, even prior to adding Shattenkirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad