ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Bishop is a UFA he wasn't able to be selected in the expansion draft anyway.

Budaj can now be exposed by TBay to meet the requirements

I don't think that's how it works, on either count.

1. Vegas can select impending UFAs, it's just that you have to expose enough players who meet certain requirements, one of which is being under contract for next season. Vegas could still decide none of your exposed players are as attractive as a UFA or RFA that you have, though.

2. TB didn't need to expose a goalie. They already had Gudlevskis. Everyone protects one, everyone will have a couple ineligible due to age or experience, and then a couple who are exposed, regardless of RFA status. Some teams will have an attractive exposed goalie, others won't. Vegas will only be selecting three and will have more than enough choices. Budaj didn't meet the requirements as he's a UFA.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I don't think that's how it works, on either count.

1. Vegas can select impending UFAs, it's just that you have to expose enough players who meet certain requirements, one of which is being under contract for next season. Vegas could still decide none of your exposed players are as attractive as a UFA or RFA that you have, though.

2. TB didn't need to expose a goalie. They already had Gudlevskis. Everyone protects one, everyone will have a couple ineligible due to age or experience, and then a couple who are exposed, regardless of RFA status. Some teams will have an attractive exposed goalie, others won't. Vegas will only be selecting three and will have more than enough choices. Budaj didn't meet the requirements as he's a UFA.

My point was Bishop didn't need to be protected, and I didn't realize how many pro games Gudlevskis had played

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Perhaps lost in all this is the sweet package Arizona got for Hanzal.

The Arizona Coyotes have traded forwards Martin Hanzal, Ryan White and a 4th-Round pick in 2017 to the Minnesota Wild for a 1st-Round pick in 2017, a 2nd-Round pick in 2018, a conditional 4th-Round pick in 2019 and minor leaguer Grayson Downing.

If Hanzal is worth a first, I can see why Sakic is in no hurry to move Duchene and Landeskog. There just might be some team who feels enough pressure to pay their price given the movement that has already happened.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
2 Forwards, 2 D and 2 goalies Sutter's new defensive system

:) Sounds like something Roger Neilson would think up!

The coach would instruct his goaltender to leave his stick in the crease after being pulled for an extra attacker, so if the opponent attempted to send the puck into the "empty" net it would deflect off the lumber. The NHL caught on rather quickly, and changed the rules so that a goal would be awarded to the opposition in such a scenario.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I don't deny that. I just hope the cost wasn't high.

It was in a sense that the Leafs are gambling on making the playoffs and creating a buzz there. I doubt he will resign in Toronto.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
It was in a sense that the Leafs are gambling on making the playoffs and creating a buzz there. I doubt he will resign in Toronto.

Oh, I am fully prepared for the idea that he's just a rental. The problem is, if the cost is anything more than a 4th round pick, IMO it was too high. I don't think Brian Boyle is what the Leafs need to ensure a playoff spot..

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think any trade the Leafs make right now isn't worth it unless it leads to a stanley cup this season. Will Boyle lead to a stanley cup? I doubt it.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Oh, I am fully prepared for the idea that he's just a rental. The problem is, if the cost is anything more than a 4th round pick, IMO it was too high. I don't think Brian Boyle is what the Leafs need to ensure a playoff spot..

It was a 2nd rounder and an AHL'er.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I think any trade the Leafs make right now isn't worth it unless it leads to a stanley cup this season. Will Boyle lead to a stanley cup? I doubt it.

Agreed.

It was a 2nd rounder and an AHL'er.

What the **** is this management group thinking? Seriously. I'm not going to claim that they have started to diverge from the Shanaplan, but this is a really, really stupid move.

Everyone has talked about how any trade they make will be for future benefit as well. This trade is the kind of trade you make if you think a 4th line role player is the missing piece for a cup run.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Want to start off by saying I don't like the price the leafs had to pay on this one, but there is value to getting your team playoff experience...in other words it's not stanley cup now or nothing. How many teams have we seen that had to make a playoff run and lose to a seasoned/champion opponent in order to "learn how to win." So if you make a trade that gets you that experience now then it could give you more real chances at a Cup later. Now, all that being said, I'm not convinced Boyle is the missing piece to make that happe either.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Perhaps lost in all this is the sweet package Arizona got for Hanzal.

If Hanzal is worth a first, I can see why Sakic is in no hurry to move Duchene and Landeskog. There just might be some team who feels enough pressure to pay their price given the movement that has already happened.

Same deal Sweeney got for Hamilton

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Agreed.

What the **** is this management group thinking? Seriously. I'm not going to claim that they have started to diverge from the Shanaplan, but this is a really, really stupid move.

Everyone has talked about how any trade they make will be for future benefit as well. This trade is the kind of trade you make if you think a 4th line role player is the missing piece for a cup run.

To be fair, they have three second round picks in this draft, and now two. Along with a ton of 3-7th rounders.

Want to start off by saying I don't like the price the leafs had to pay on this one, but there is value to getting your team playoff experience...in other words it's not stanley cup now or nothing. How many teams have we seen that had to make a playoff run and lose to a seasoned/champion opponent in order to "learn how to win." So if you make a trade that gets you that experience now then it could give you more real chances at a Cup later. Now, all that being said, I'm not convinced Boyle is the missing piece to make that happe either.

I saw Boyle has the most playoff GP of any player since 2011, with 100.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
To be fair, they have three second round picks in this draft, and now two. Along with a ton of 3-7th rounders.

I saw Boyle has the most playoff GP of any player since 2011, with 100.

Well after digesting it a little more, perhaps with this draft being as weak as it is, the loss of that 2nd round pick isn't that bad. I don't think Boyle is really enough to get the Leafs into the playoffs though. If they're going to do it, it has to be on the strength of what got them to this point.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Well after digesting it a little more, perhaps with this draft being as weak as it is, the loss of that 2nd round pick isn't that bad. I don't think Boyle is really enough to get the Leafs into the playoffs though. If they're going to do it, it has to be on the strength of what got them to this point.

That said, they're getting murdered in shot attempts with Ben Smith on the ice, and making very little headway with Gauthier on the ice additionally. I like Goat this season more than most observers do, but they're still getting run over whenever's on the ice.

Really, all this could be solved by shifting Komarov back to centre, but they really seem to like having him glued to Nazem Kadri.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
That said, they're getting murdered in shot attempts with Ben Smith on the ice, and making very little headway with Gauthier on the ice additionally. I like Goat this season more than most observers do, but they're still getting run over whenever's on the ice.

Really, all this could be solved by shifting Komarov back to centre, but they really seem to like having him glued to Nazem Kadri.

I love Komarov. I'm not sure I'd want him as a full time C, but he's great at being able to take faceoffs in a pinch, good to have since Kadri is so inconsistent at it.

No question Brian Boyle will shore up the 4th line C. I'm honestly just not sure how much of an impact that will have.. how often does the 4th line get scored on? Quite honestly, what I've noticed lately is that Rielly-Zaitsev is a problem. Zaitsev especially is really struggling lately with clearing the puck out of the zone when he has a chance, and both are struggling with being in the proper defensive position at times.

If the top pairing doesn't get fixed, or adjusted by bringing in another top-4 guy, I don't think having Boyle will really matter.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Looks like washington is going for it this year. With Shattenkirk that defence is excellent maybe league best

Wow. I'm sure they paid a pretty penny for him based on what guys like Hanzal and Boyle garnered.

This puts a ton of pressure on Pittsburgh to do something. I wonder if they'll bite the bullet on Duchene or Landeskog now.

This is really funny though, the Caps' GM JUST went on record to say he wasn't interested in messing with the current roster at all. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad