ATD 2011 Draft Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Hlinka wasn't soft. He wouldn't get rattled by physical play - unlike Milan Novy or Aleksandr Maltsev.

Hlinka was also a good leader, he always kept team's spirit up.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I'll let BillyShoe pick first considering I haven't made up my mind nor will I be disappointed if he takes anybody that I have on my list.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
To start off their 3rd line, the Philadelphia Firebirds are happy to select C Pit Lepine.

Lepine_Pit_01.jpg

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I don't get it - is Novy tough, or is he "rattled by physical play"? I'm hearing pretty conflicting reports.

I think the year of the reports is going to be really important here. Some people say tough, some say soft.. I have no idea what to think.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I haven't found a legit source saying he's soft.

Only jkrx told me that he was easily intimidated. VMBM wasn't sure. I haven't read anything about him being easily rattled either.

Actually, the best intangibles thing I found on him so far is in a Canada Cup game against Canada, where Novy was praised for his penalty killing. The specifically praised him for his "ragging" and "digging". Plenty of cases of him scoring on rebounds, and at least one case where he went digging for the puck behind the net.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Hlinka wasn't soft. He wouldn't get rattled by physical play - unlike Milan Novy or Aleksandr Maltsev.

Hlinka was also a good leader, he always kept team's spirit up.

Hlinka definitely wasn't soft, but was he aggressive enough to be the primary puck winner of an ATD line? That's what I want to know and what I have no idea about.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
The impression that I'm getting of Novy's "softness", is that he didn't mind playing in the trenches, but when guys started roughing him up, he sort of just turtled and let up, something like that. I liken his game to, say.. well, I have a good example but he's undrafted.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
To start off their 3rd line, the Philadelphia Firebirds are happy to select C Pit Lepine.

Ugh...finally. Now I can present the material I have on Hooley Smith's defensive game. Smith and Lepine were apparently the two great "second generation" masters of the hook check after Nighbor and Walker hung 'em up, and Pit Lepine figures prominently in enough of the important material I have on Smith that I really didn't think it would be appropriate to present what I had until he was drafted. I guess I'll pull together the posts tomorrow, then.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
He's definitely deserving of being a starter. But you also need to point out that Belfour faced far better competition than Barrasso did for those awards and finishes. I realize their careers overlap quite a bit, but Barrasso got a lot of his finishes (including his Vezina) in the weak late 80s, while Belfour started off in the early 90s and went right into Hasek/Roy/Brodeur land.

It's not as different as you make it out to be, but yes, I am aware of the difference here. Belfour was definitely the better regular season goalie, though they are not nearly as far apart in that aspect as their draft positions would indicate, and Barrasso has easily the better postseason credentials. Belfour was a good playoff player, himself, but was never a realistic Conn Smythe candidate, which Barrasso was twice. The Eagle was probably no better than the 4th best performer on that Dallas Cup winner after Modano (who should have won the Conn Smythe), Nieuwendyk and Hatcher.

Taken on the whole, they are really quite close.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Yeah, that's the difference, jkrx has watched him play. Hmm.. I'll see if I can get jkrx's contact in Sweden to give me some info. :)

I'm meeting him next week and will see if I can get some information. Otherwise I might meet up with the other guy I talked about who played against both your guys a bit more and see what he has to say. I take a players word over my own most of the time, specially when I'm not 100% sure.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'm meeting him next week and will see if I can get some information. Otherwise I might meet up with the other guy I talked about who played against both your guys a bit more and see what he has to say. I take a players word over my own most of the time, specially when I'm not 100% sure.

I would VERY much appreciate that!!!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
To properly insulate Turgeon on the 2nd line and form a cohesive unit, this was the guy we needed. A strong offensive player, he came out on top in all of my offensive percentage-based comparisons even though I am particularly hard on pre-merger players (I always divide by #1, not #2, and in 1922-1924 I divide by 125% of the league leader)

There was a player who had better offense, but he's highly one-dimensional. This player was known as a fireball on the ice, a battler, a digger, and a leader. He played both center and wing in a HHOF career spent in the PCHA and NHL.

Jack "Jolly Jawn" Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad