ATD 2011 Draft Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Actually, from what I've read, Vikulov and Firsov were the goalscorer, while xxx and Ivanov were the halfback. Ragulin was the pure defensive defenceman.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, Tarasov was talking about Khrlamov-Firsov-Vikulov line...

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
So in a sense we cannot discredit Vikulov for playing with big stars when those team were pretty much the best player in the country, and that include Vikulov.

That is true. I was only timidly suggesting that maybe he was more dependent on his linemates than some others, and post-1972, he couldn't quite shine in the same way when playing on the 2nd/3rd line or whatnot. But that would probably apply to many other players too, so I'll leave it that.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
That is true. I was only timidly suggesting that maybe he was more dependent on his linemates than some others, and post-1972, he couldn't quite shine in the same way when playing on the 2nd/3rd line or whatnot. But that would probably apply to many other players too, so I'll leave it that.

I'm very comfortable with you suggesting this. In a sense, you're probably not wrong, as history dosn't remember Vikulov in the same breath as the All-Time Russian great. He may just have been a little more dependant on others skills. He was recognize as an all-time great playmaker, so in a way the lesser players he's paired with, the lesser results he will collect from his passing ability. However, my point still stand that in a team full of All-Star, it's pretty difficult not to play with one.

We also have to keep in mind that Vikulov was already 26 years old by 1972. Most Russian started slowing down around that age. However, by 26, Vikulov already had 3 elite season (FAST) and three excellent (SAST) plus a decent rookie season (TAST). He had decent season from 1973 to 1978, where he was between the 9th and 15th best player in Russia, but his legacy really lies before 1973.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Well, here it is (finally!):

5. Vladimir Vikulov RW, CSKA Moscow 103/8
One of the best Russian playmakers of the 1970s, slick stick-handler and tactician, accurate passer and sniper, mastered European style hockey, not as impressive vs. hard-hitting Canadian style hockey and not as fast as most of his teammates.
The link: http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1974/story/sumvp70s.htm

But I think Chidlovski is talking about straight-ahead speed... like I was. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with Vikulov's skating.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Well, here it is (finally!):

The link: http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1974/story/sumvp70s.htm

But I think Chidlovski is talking about straight-ahead speed... like I was. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with Vikulov's skating.

Actually, being the 5th best player of the 1970's, over Petrov, Balderis, Yakushev, Vasiliev and Shadrin is quite an accomplishment. Vikulov was the last player of this list to be taken in this draft, and while his three elite season were in the 1970's, he still was the second best RW in the league from 1967-to-1969. This list makes Vikulov looks very good.

About his skating, I think we're getting very close as to what he really was. He seemed to have been a slow straight-forward skater, but a very agile skater in every other aspect of skating. However, a few sources DoMakc showed me clearly write 'Vikulov is a fast skater', but he probable wasn't. Actually, thinking about it, the nickname 'Slalom Racer' seems to be very fitting for someone who don't have great straight-forward speed but is very agile otherwise.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Actually, being the 5th best player of the 1970's, over Petrov, Balderis, Yakushev, Vasiliev and Shadrin is quite an accomplishment. Vikulov was the last player of this list to be taken in this draft, and while his three elite season were in the 1970's, he still was the second best RW in the league from 1967-to-1969. This list makes Vikulov looks very good.

Yes, the list is based on MVP voting?

About his skating, I think we're getting very close as to what he really was. He seemed to have been a slow straight-forward skater, but a very agile skater in every other aspect of skating. However, a few sources DoMakc showed me clearly write 'Vikulov is a fast skater', but he probable wasn't. Actually, thinking about it, the nickname 'Slalom Racer' seems to be very fitting for someone who don't have great straight-forward but his very agile otherwise

We have reached consensus :D

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Yes, the list is based on MVP voting?

We have reached consensus :D

- Ah! The list is based on the # of MVP points registered in the 1970's. Point still remain, quite impressive to be higher than some All-Time great like Petrov, Balderis and Yakushev!

- Until further proof, this is how I see Vikulov's speed.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
vikulov_vladimir1.jpg

I believe I was the first to draft Vikulov in the ATDs when I snatched him up 601st overall in a late round of the ATD7. He is an all-time great, 2nd line or extra skater, doesn't matter to me. I think him an obvious ATD pick, and arguably a Top-500 all-time pick, comfortably appropriate about now, 12th round, 477th overall. :thumbu: The Soviet player who took the face off in the 1972 Summit Series game 1 first period opening period first puck drop and who went on to score the winning goals of Games 4 and 5 of the epic series. Players like him deserve to be honoured and remembered. My love of the sport of hockey extends to all those who have demonstrated the highest level of achievement and skill against the best of their era and who have had significant careers in terms of length as well. I find hockey history fascinating and the players who were instrumental and/or excellent in the annals of time are those I wish to applaud and recognize. :clap: Vladimir Vikulov is one of them. I have recently read Tarasov's book Road to Olympus (was among the two dozen or so books I'd bought from seventieslord) and two of the players he praises a lot have yet to be drafted. I am sure one will be picked, the other, perhaps, but if not, I'll happily do a bio in the MLD 2011. :naughty:

Last edited:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
This is my last post for today, but I just want to tell a VERY special thank you to DoMakc, Triffy and VMBM. Just like that, my biography on Vladimir Vikulov almost doubled in size since I post my first draft! Yea, we learn some good and some bad stuff on Vikulov, but that is the true spirit of the ATD. The goal is not to sell our players for something they are not, but to get a better understanding on how they played the game and just how good they really were. I can honestly say that I didn't knew a whole lot on Vikulov not a week ago, and now I feel I know him as much as someone who extensively watched him play!

Keep the discussion on Vikulov's coming. I will be answering every post tomorrow on the draft thread or via PM.

New version of Vladimir Vikulov if you wanna take a new (or first) look: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=31607835&postcount=120

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Ottawa selects Rick Nash, LW

6'4", 216 lbs

5th in NHL regular season goals scored from the 2003-04 season to the 2010-11 season (behind Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Iginla, Heatley)

4th in NHL regular season even strength goals scored over the same period (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Iginla).

Played for Team Canada in the 2006 and 2010 Olympics.

21 goals and 39 points in 27 games at the World Championships.

Last edited:

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009

6'4", 216 lbs

5th in NHL regular season goals scored from the 2003-04 season to the 2010-11 season (behind Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Iginla, Heatley)

4th in NHL regular season even strength goals scored over the same period (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Iginla).

Good selection I think. An underrated aspect of him is you might be able to get away with him as PK guy too, as he kills penalties all the time for the Jackets. I also believe he has eitheer 6 or 7 30 goal seasons, I'd be surprised if there are too many guys left with a better goal scoring record than him.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Does someone want to start a new thread? It's not good if I start it becuase then only two people can edit it (me and seventies) instead of three.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Thank you!:D

He is such a great selection at this point, 5 times top 11 in goals, great even strength producer, great on PK, pretty decent defencively, great international resumé (IIRc he was the MVP of the WC a couple years ago, maybe in Moscow?). And he never had even a decent supporting cast.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

6'4", 216 lbs

Awards and Achievements:
Olympic Gold Medal (2010)
World Championship Gold Medal (2007)
2 x World Championship Silver Medal (2005, 2008)

IIHF MVP (2007)
3 x IIHF All-Star (2005, 2007, 2008)

4 x NHL All-Star (2004, 2007, 2008, 2009)
Rocket Richard Trophy (2004)

NHL Foundation Player Award (2009)

Columbus Captain from 2007 to present.

NHL Scoring:
Goals – 1st(2004), 5th(2009), 11th(2008), 11th(2010)

Goals per Game – 9th(2006)

International Scoring:
Points – 2nd(2005), 3rd(2008), 6th(2007)
Goals – 1st(2005), 2nd(2008), 3rd(2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad