Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
I actually don't think I've seen him take a single slap shot :laugh:

One of the most dangerous shooters I have seen from the point is Brent Burns. He is so good at not only finding the lane, but he rarely ever goes for the slapper. Its all wrist shots and snap shots. If he does wind up, its short and quick. Lethal shot. Very much the opposite of Doughty who takes centuries to wind up and release his slap shot.

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
I'm wondering how many of the negative clips came from his first handful of games in Europe. Brandt admittedly was getting pushed around at first. He said it took him a couple games to get acclimated to the physicality of playing against men. His numbers were better in the latter half of his stint in Europe. I think think playing in Europe advanced his development for sure. If he doesn't make the Kings, I can see him utterly dominating his jr league.

I can't freaking wait for this kid to make the big club.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Durzi's window is closing. 23 next season and he still doesn't get it. Makes horrible decisions with the puck. Braden Doyle looked better and he's 3 years younger.
Durzi did look better and much more settled in the latter part of the season.
I don't know if that's him turning a corner or just a result of playing with Moverare. (I think he played with Moverare?)

PumperNichol

Sep 2, 2007
Durzi did look better and much more settled in the latter part of the season.
I don't know if that's him turning a corner or just a result of playing with Moverare. (I think he played with Moverare?)

I thought he looked better for HIM but, I see the multitude of prospects passing him shortly. Brickley would also look better at seasons end only to revert back the following season. I have nothing against Durzi but if you're working on the same things going into your age 23 season...something went wrong.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Do they need to borrow one of our 30 RHD?
5il2ab.jpg

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I thought he looked better for HIM but, I see the multitude of prospects passing him shortly. Brickley would also look better at seasons end only to revert back the following season. I have nothing against Durzi but if you're working on the same things going into your age 23 season...something went wrong.
We'll see if it's just a good stretch of games or he's really turned a corner.
It's definitely going to be a big year for him and a few other guys in that age group like Clague, Strand, Phillips, and even Moverare to a degree.
There are only so many roster spots and now with guys like Clarke, Faber coming into the system, all these guys need to take big steps to stay relevant.

Reactions: kinghock

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Was listening to a documentary earlier and they brought up Ray Bourque. "He was an outstanding offensive defenseman that was drafted #8 in the first round. He just drove offense like few players back there could." Got me thinking and hoping........

Wasn't it the case that we had owned that 1st round pick (Bourque's draft), yet ended up trading the pick in a real bad deal? I seem to recall something like that.....

Reactions: BringTheReign

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Yes, I believe we traded it for a goalie who played two seasons for us or something like that.

To make it worse, was that goalie in some beer commercial (circa '82 or '83) wherein the song/slogan at the time was "Bring Out Your Best...." .....or am I totally nutz???

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
To make it worse, was that goalie in some beer commercial (circa '82 or '83) wherein the song/slogan at the time was "Bring Out Your Best...." .....or am I totally nutz???

I tried to remember off the top of my head, but eventually had to look it up. It was Ron Grahame, who is John Grahame's dad and wife to Charlotte Grahame. Interestingly enough, John and Charlotte are the only mother/son duo to have their names on the Stanley Cup. John as the backup goalie with the '04 Lightning and Charlotte as part of the executive management team with the '01 Avalanche. Pretty rad trivia even though it came at the cost of my favorite player of all time playing for my favorite team.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
One of the most dangerous shooters I have seen from the point is Brent Burns. He is so good at not only finding the lane, but he rarely ever goes for the slapper. Its all wrist shots and snap shots. If he does wind up, its short and quick. Lethal shot. Very much the opposite of Doughty who takes centuries to wind up and release his slap shot.

Doughty also closes his eyes and has no idea where it's going.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I cannot find it now, but I either read or listened to a podcast that discussed Clarke's perceived skating issues. The reporter/prospects person mentioned that they'd given clips of Clarke to two separate skating coaches, and both separately agreed that it was more of a strength and core stability issue that could be addressed effectively.

Given that, I agree, it wouldn't surprise me if he arrived on the scene sooner than most prospects do.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I cannot find it now, but I either read or listened to a podcast that discussed Clarke's perceived skating issues. The reporter/prospects person mentioned that they'd given clips of Clarke to two separate skating coaches, and both separately agreed that it was more of a strength and core stability issue that could be addressed effectively.

Given that, I agree, it wouldn't surprise me if he arrived on the scene sooner than most prospects do.

It's kind of the Doughty vs. Bogosian thing, right?

Bogo is already a monster, trains like a pro...vs. the guy who can do ALL THAT who is playing 25 lbs overweight? What's he gonna be like if he gets a regimen together?

Imagine Clarke with Gary Roberts and a skating coach. The rest of the stuff is unteachable.

Yet--I also wonder if part of why he is so deceptive is the goofy ass stride. I remember a young Doughty escaping contact a lot of the time making moves that didn't make any sense, so of course they'd throw off a checker (weird weight distribution, etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad