Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Yet--I also wonder if part of why he is so deceptive is the goofy ass stride. I remember a young Doughty escaping contact a lot of the time making moves that didn't make any sense, so of course they'd throw off a checker (weird weight distribution, etc)

Yep, excellent point. I've heard a few prospects evaluators make this exact point, both for Clarke being able to unexpectedly close on puck carriers or to evade pressure in breakouts or walking the blue line.

Nickster

Hockey is coming
Sponsor
Nov 5, 2017
Inland Empire
I'm churning through a backlog of podcasts this summer and found this 8 minute discussion of Brandt Clarke in this mock draft episode of The Hockey PDOcast (31:30-39:30).

I think this may be the episode referenced here:
I cannot find it now, but I either read or listened to a podcast that discussed Clarke's perceived skating issues.

He was chosen as the second pick after Owen Power in this mock draft. Good discussion. The one making the pick was a big fan, vs the host who was agreeable, and the other guest was not so high on him, but still had him in his top ten.

Last edited:

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I'm churning through a backlog of podcasts this summer and found this 8 minute discussion of Brandt Clarke in this mock draft episode of The Hockey PDOcast (31:30-39:30).

I think this may be the episode referenced here:

He was chosen as the second pick after Owen Power in this mock draft. Good discussion. The one making the pick was a big fan, vs the host who was agreeable, and the other guest was not so high on him, but still had him in his top ten.

Brock Otten was on a podcast I heard talking about it. I remember him saying he had talked to a skating coach about it who said it is a difficult issue to fix. But I would agree with previous posters - it is a part of what makes him so deceptive. I've noticed in a number of interviews Clarke is asked about his "awkaward skating style" and he grins and always says the same thing: only that he wants to improve his explosiveness, but says nothing about fixing the posture itself, which leads me to believe that he agrees with that assessment and sees it as a sort of strength.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Didn't see this 4 days ago when Kings were playing Toronto. This kid is going to make it extremely difficult to send him back to Barrie next season.

Lastly, in case you missed this from the other day, hear from the LA Kings first-round selection in the 2021 NHL Draft, Brandt Clarke. Clarke joined the Bally Sports West broadcast from Toronto, where he met up with the traveling party during the day.

The 18-year-old defenseman made the trip from Barrie to Toronto, just under 60 miles apart. Clarke has been off to a hot start with the OHL’s Barrie Colts, ranking second on the team with 15 points (5-10-15) from 11 games played.

After watching him at Development Camp this season this kid was head and shoulders above the rest. He just has 'it'. It's a shame he got mono right before Main Camp but with his confidence he'll rebound twice as hard.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Didn't see this 4 days ago when Kings were playing Toronto. This kid is going to make it extremely difficult to send him back to Barrie next season.

Lastly, in case you missed this from the other day, hear from the LA Kings first-round selection in the 2021 NHL Draft, Brandt Clarke. Clarke joined the Bally Sports West broadcast from Toronto, where he met up with the traveling party during the day.

The 18-year-old defenseman made the trip from Barrie to Toronto, just under 60 miles apart. Clarke has been off to a hot start with the OHL’s Barrie Colts, ranking second on the team with 15 points (5-10-15) from 11 games played.

After watching him at Development Camp this season this kid was head and shoulders above the rest. He just has 'it'. It's a shame he got mono right before Main Camp but with his confidence he'll rebound twice as hard.

Wow he’s going bald already.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles

Hopefully hes rushed to the kings so that he could be just like Derek forbort.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
The same Derek Forbort, who after being drafted, played 3 years of college, 2 full seasons in the AHL and most of a 3rd season until getting called up to the Kings for his first NHL game at age 23? That Derek Forbort?
Still doesn't mean that players should be rushed

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
But it also doesn't mean burying a player because it's "tradition"
Would you agree that Vilardi was rushed? He most certainly was. He should've played at least 2 to 3 seasons in Ontario especially because of his time off from his back. He should've learned to excel thru all the hardships and become the best player on the ice thru all 3 zones. This is something that Blake management just doesnt get. Now they want to bring Qb up. Don't be surprised when he gets top line minutes but produces like a 3rd line grinder. Same with turcotte and kaliyev. Arty is not ready for prime time and forcing him into the lineup is only going to hurt his development. See, we have the ahl as a league where there's no pressure. Why is there no pressure? Because no one cares if it folds. If it goes under, they just flip teams around, and rebrand it. Reign players work for the kings. Let the youngsters stay in Ontario until they tear it up. When they're the best players down there, after a couple years, then you bring them up.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Would you agree that Vilardi was rushed? He most certainly was. He should've played at least 2 to 3 seasons in Ontario especially because of his time off from his back. He should've learned to excel thru all the hardships and become the best player on the ice thru all 3 zones. This is something that Blake management just doesnt get. Now they want to bring Qb up. Don't be surprised when he gets top line minutes but produces like a 3rd line grinder. Same with turcotte and kaliyev. Arty is not ready for prime time and forcing him into the lineup is only going to hurt his development. See, we have the ahl as a league where there's no pressure. Why is there no pressure? Because no one cares if it folds. If it goes under, they just flip teams around, and rebrand it. Reign players work for the kings. Let the youngsters stay in Ontario until they tear it up. When they're the best players down there, after a couple years, then you bring them up.

No I don't because Vilardi wasn't going to become quicker with age which is his biggest problem. I think you're set in an extremely archaic mindset.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I don't think there is anything certain about Vilardi being rushed. He hasn't even played a full NHL season yet, and even with his crappy start he would be on a pace for 35 points in his first 82 games. Those aren't grinder numbers, even without the top line minutes. This is the exact same argument we heard with Brown and Simmonds, whom Vilardi has put up better numbers than, yet it didn't affect their careers negatively whatsoever. You could also make the case in the opposite direction for a lot of guys, each player is different. A lot of guys who are putting a ton of points up are following the same path as GV.

What I've found is the best guys always excel anyways, regardless if they play more in the minors or if they come up quickly. Development helps of course, but it's really on the player and their strengths. I think guys who need defensive work are the ones who benefit, you don't really develop offense.

If Vilardi falls apart, it won't be because he was rushed, rather he just wasn't at the level he needed to be.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think there is anything certain about Vilardi being rushed. He hasn't even played a full NHL season yet, and even with his crappy start he would be on a pace for 35 points in his first 82 games. Those aren't grinder numbers, even without the top line minutes. This is the exact same argument we heard with Brown and Simmonds, whom Vilardi has put up better numbers than, yet it didn't affect their careers negatively whatsoever. You could also make the case in the opposite direction for a lot of guys, each player is different. A lot of guys who are putting a ton of points up are following the same path as GV.

What I've found is the best guys always excel anyways, regardless if they play more in the minors or if they come up quickly. Development helps of course, but it's really on the player and their strengths. I think guys who need defensive work are the ones who benefit, you don't really develop offense.

If Vilardi falls apart, it won't be because he was rushed, rather he just wasn't at the level he needed to be.
Yeah it's too bad that Blake won't send him back down. To do that, it would be admitting defeat. Vilardi's just gonna have to make it on wing, then and even then I have my reservations. Guy needs to think the game quickly and I don't think he's doing that. His mind's somewhere in Ontario.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yeah it's too bad that Blake won't send him back down. To do that, it would be admitting defeat. Vilardi's just gonna have to make it on wing, then and even then I have my reservations. Guy needs to think the game quickly and I don't think he's doing that. His mind's somewhere in Ontario.

Defeat? What?

Guys have went up and down constantly during Blakes tenure, Vilardi included.

Reactions: kingsfan

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Congrads to Clarke

How many captains have the Kings drafted, in recent years?
Pinelli was made captain of Kitchener, as well.

Go Brandt! Hope he makes the Kings next season. I think one of Roy / Walker will be moved
by then....especially, if Brandt is deemed ready. Clarke cannot play AHL and will be OHL or Kings and he'll not get any better in the OHL. I think he will be able to make the jump. Consider last year he went to Europe and played pro at 17/18. Matters not the league level; playing against men at 17/18 in Europe is still pretty amazing. So, 2 years after that and much growth and development from that point to 22-23 to make NHL jump not out of his reach. Considering his ability and IQ...plus another year this year, adding strength. He'll be 6'2" 200 soon, if not now.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can we call up this kid to score some goals for defense? Our defense is dreadful offensively.

This is one I'm hoping they don't try to develop and instead just turn loose.

But in reality he's just gonna blow up the preseason and be our #7 d-man for 9 games before going back down to juniors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad