Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
This is THE kid, that puts the Kings back in the playoffs, for the next decade. Byfield could be better than Clarke....but Clarke is the one who will be catalyst on the PP and make everyone on the ice better. I truly believe the offense will be in the top half of the league (which is not a huge statement or reach...but wickedly better than being in the bottom 1/4 for years) and it will largely be because of Clarke. I believe the PP will be in the top 1/3 for the nest decade. He will play 21-24 minutes and drive the offense, while never being a liability on defense.

It's his sense and reads..being ahead of the play and making the right play. As someone said 'this kid has IT" . He Oozes confidence and the type that is driven and can back up what he says and intends to do. This year, he may get 8 games (or whatever it is) and go back down, but that's best for him this year. It is next year, that I think he makes it. Wil be stronger and more like 6'2" 205 or so.
However this year, Byfield and a few of Kupari, Kaliyev, Turcotte, Fagemo, Thomas will get some games and experience. Maybe some of them get cups of coffee and maybe some get
20+ games. Maybe 1 sticks entire season. It is the following year, 22-23, in which things take off.

This season will most definitely be the best Kings hockey we will have seen in 5+ years. May not quite be there, but just Byfield taking a slot and playing, helps launch the
next phase. Others like Vilardi, Andersson, Anderson, Bjornfot start raising their games....Arvidsson be the first legit 20+ goal scorer not named Kopitar / Brown / Toffoli
in years, will start to raise the goal scoring. Plus, one more soon-to-be-added piece (hopefully) will do the same. I expect all of: Iafallo, Kempe and Moore to be somewhat
better as well.

As Yannetti said: “If you go to Clarke, he’s something we’ve never had,” Yannetti said. “The style of play, the offense-driving, offense-first, borderline dynamic, offensive defenseman. Clarke is something different. I don’t want to compare guys, I don’t think that’s the fair thing, but what Clarke is, is something we haven’t had. He’s an offense-generating player. He can generate offense through transition, he can generate it individually, he can generate it on the blueline, all three ways.”

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Mmmmm… three ways.

Really like his attitude, seems like a great kid.

download (6).jpg

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I am so glad that we did not trade this pick. In almost every draft at least one team goes off the board early and he subsequent picks increase in value. Therefore I would never trade such a pick before you know who really is available

Yeah... and people wanted to trade away this pick for 200 years old bums like Eberle or Tarasenko
and adding Vilardi on top

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thrilled with this pick. Most pundits said we wouldn't have a shot at the one of the big four and yet there he was.

I was excited for some other guys too because the Kings could have used help most everywhere.

It was nearly a 'no lose' situation because of fallers but I 100% agree we got arguably the draft's best player and certainly BPA.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Never saw this one...sorry if posted....but, I could watch this 4 or 5 times. Can't believe Johnson and Edvinsson were picked ahead of him. Geez oh man.

I posted a week before the draft that hopefully we get a Kopitar 2.0 and another future superstar falls to us. I've seen a couple really good sites have him top 3, one even had him at 1! Button hit the nail on the head though, he said the Kings would pick him at 8. I've heard comparisons from Klingberg to Karlsson to Hamilton to even Doughty. Wouldn't it be the most hilarious thing ever if he becomes a 60-65 point scorer and the Kings offensive woes are solved by a defenseman!?

All we have so far are these clips, but given the POISE he has in every interview so far, he definitely has a very high level of hockey IQ.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Never saw this one...sorry if posted....but, I could watch this 4 or 5 times. Can't believe Johnson and Edvinsson were picked ahead of him. Geez oh man.

One of the Athletic articles posted earlier (on my phone and hard to navigate) talked about his character as well. A few years ago, the team's goalie was murdered by the mother's boyfriend, and the team was devastated. Clarke was the heart of the team bringing them together.

There is so much to like about him.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
His offensive moves remind me of Kris Letang. If he can also play defense, he will be awesome.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Clarke gives me a young Tyson Barrie vibe. Don't see a total package D man...yet but it will be interesting to see how he develops. The WJC is where he should make his mark. If only his offense translate, pair him with a LD shutdown D man and let him do his thing.

Faber will probably end up being a better overall, all situational D man. It's sort of a Roy vs Walker comparison but Clarke\Faber are on much higher tiers.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Clarke gives me a young Tyson Barrie vibe. Don't see a total package D man...yet but it will be interesting to see how he develops. The WJC is where he should make his mark. If only his offense translate, pair him with a LD shutdown D man and let him do his thing.

Faber will probably end up being a better overall, all situational D man. It's sort of a Roy vs Walker comparison but Clarke\Faber are on much higher tiers.

Our potential defense is wild:

Anderson - Clarke
Nousiainen - Faber
Bjornfot - Grans
Kirsanov - Spence
Moverare - Durzi

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I actually don't think I've seen him take a single slap shot :laugh:

Bad - quick accurate wristers that surprise the opponent.

Good - left head fake, waist juke, right head fake, wind up and slap stick on ice, forward head fake, wind up slap shot, miss the net by ten feet that causes the puck to go around the boards and create an odd man rush.

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The previously mentioned Scouching report had some critiques worth listening to. And video of the play driving those critiques.

This is a really good contrast to the other highlights packages. It shows quite of a bit of his play in Europe, specifically focusing on situations where he has problems making accurate passes from the defensive zone, in the neutral zone, and in offensive zone entries, resulting in turnovers.

Also compliments on-ice vision, evasion, comfort with lots of pass angles.
Calls him pass-first, with a sense of calm effectiveness. Lack of agility and speed might force him to make bad passes, resulting in turnovers.

Neutral-zone defense and positional responsibility in the defensive zone was a positive. Praises him for offensive exits, comparing him to Power and Edvinsson with lots of involvement.

Intangibles
Very vocal defender, steering teammates

Warnings
Lack of speed and explosiveness
Defensive entry rate was bad
Footwork, agility, and strength weren't there, sometimes looking outmatched

PumperNichol

Sep 2, 2007
Our potential defense is wild:

Anderson - Clarke
Nousiainen - Faber
Bjornfot - Grans
Kirsanov - Spence
Moverare - Durzi

Durzi's window is closing. 23 next season and he still doesn't get it. Makes horrible decisions with the puck. Braden Doyle looked better and he's 3 years younger.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->