Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Brandt Clarke U18 2021 Highlights

He really sees the ice and has uncanny ability to hit anyone he wants to with a crisp pass - often a secondary (and more dangerous threat) option...and that option others would not even see. It's because of his elite vision and patience. Not to go with the obvious option 1. Impressive as H E double L hockey sticks.

Watch these highlights with Clarke on the PP. He quarterbacks a PP so effectively. There were multiple clips of him drawing the play to his side of the rink, just to make a quick slip pass to the opposite side where the shooter had a great opportunity with tons of space. Clarke and Kaliyev are perfect for each other.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Obviously not all of these defence-men will play on our right side, however with RHD so in demand you’d be able to move one or more of them in a package to bring in the LHD unicorn (and/or more scoring for that matter). Grans could be packaged up, possibly Walker also. Packaging up a Center prospect and a RHD prospect would seem a good starting point in getting that LHD. Lots of options and the ability to get creative for the right guy.

Longer term something like Clarke-Doughty-Faber seems about correct on our right side with Clarke taking over on the top pair as DD ages gracefully with the team entering the window as a contender. Clarke won’t be as good as prime Doughty, of course, but he should be a top pairing guy and run the pp.

However it all pans out our right side D is set for years it’s a huge strength in our pipeline. BTW, I’m not suggesting for one moment Clarke will be ready next year.

Despite so few picks this draft has excited me greatly as it’s filled a big hole in the pipeline.

Reactions: tbrown33

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
I dont see any skating problems. He’s so quick with his pass option and it seems he’s always gliding (in a good way).

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
God those clips of him shaking checks and dictating the breakouts, unreal

I watched that entire clip for a third time. How could 7 teams pass on him? Those skating legs are the only reason the Kings were able to get him at #8. I honestly think many a scout and GM just kind of cringed a little at watching that skating of his; if his skating form was textbook and looked better (but not necessarily be much better power / speed even) he would have gone top 4. Owen Power cannot even come close to what Clarke can do....nor Edvinsson. I like Hughes, but I think Clarke is better.

So, just keep working as he is dedicated to do and he will get stronger and probably have somewhat better technique and power. It's that brain and sense that he has - one that will make the Kings PP be in the top 1/3 for a decade. I envision Arty scoring 35+ goals annually and getting a big multi year contract...he will owe 10% of it to Brandt.

He may never be first unit PK, but who cares? He is sound defensively and his brain and quickness to make correct reads will go a long way in the D zone. He also asserts himself and works hard. Many offensive defenseman are not so great defensively. He will have Bjornfot or Anderson as a LHD partner and will be a great tandem.

"we have never had a defenseman with his offensive abilities" (I am probably a little off what Yannetti said, so not quoting him)

Last edited:
Reactions: Basilisk

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
I watched that entire clip for a third time. Those skating legs are the only reason the Kings were able to get him at #8. I honestly think many a scout and GM just kind of cringed a little at watching that skating of his; if his skating form was textbook and looked better (but not necessarily be much better power / speed even) he would have gone top 4.
Owen Power cannot even come close to what Clarke can do....nor Edvinsson. I like Hughes, but I think Clarke is better.

So, just keep working as he is dedicated to do and he will get stronger and probably have somewhat better technique and power.
It's that brain and sense that he has - one that will make the Kings PP be in the top 1/3 for a decade. He may never be first unit PK, but who cares?
He is sound defensively and his brain and quickness to make correct reads will go a long way in the D zone. He also asserts himself and works hard. Many offensive defenseman are not
so great defensively. He will have Bjornfot or Anderson as a LHD partner and will be a great tandem.

"we have never had a defenseman with his offensive abilities" (I am probably a little off what Yannetti said, so not quoting him)

can you point to an example in the video of his knock kneed skating. I’m a few beers deep but I don’t see it.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
can you point to an example in the video of his knock kneed skating. I’m a few beers deep but I don’t see it.

Hi skating stride, both of his knees are kind of pinching inwards....the opposite of someone being bow legged. It just looks weak and that it appears as though
if your knees were straightly aligned, you would get better balance and power. His edges are good and he is decpetive on his skates. His speed is relatively good.
Decent quickness. He can do spins and be evasive. But those knees facing towards each other, in no way can be the best technique.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I used to watch this kid in the gthl when I scouted with the ohl for a bit. He has the "IT" factor. Confidence through the roof, extremely poised with the puck. For those worrying about his awkward stride, don't, its been talked about at every level but it never seems to hinder him. Its ugly at times, but he makes it work. You got a good one.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hi skating stride, both of his knees are kind of pinching inwards....the opposite of someone being bow legged. It just looks weak and that it appears as though
if your knees were straightly aligned, you would get better balance and power. His edges are good and he is decpetive on his skates. His speed is relatively good.
Decent quickness. He can do spins and be evasive. But those knees facing towards each other, in no way can be the best technique.

He's made it work at every level and it doesn't slow him down at all. Still expect him to be a dominant player.

One article pointed out the major reason it causes concern is it forces him to be 'pot committed' to everything, he's leaning forward and in so instead of being agile/ready to cut on an outside edge, a guy can shake him because he's going basically forward no matter what.

If that's his biggest problem, we're good. I have no doubt of our development team to work on that seeing the magic they've worked with ugly strides before (Toffoli and currently Kaliyev).

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I had said I would have taken Guenther since goal scoring wings are a need as well but I also said I don't know anything. I'm perfectly fine with the pick since he fits a real need in the pipeline as well since I'm not so sure how much Grans can be counted on. If there is an argument that Guenther/Clarke are equal (If there is an argument) then I'm probably going to lean to the defenseman.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You can hear the excitement in Yannetti's voice when he described Clarke as being the type of defenseman the Kings have never had in all his years with the team.

That's also quite the compliment, and also a sign of how little offensive talent from the blueline the Kings have developed since drafting Doughty/Voynov in 2008.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I had said I would have taken Guenther since goal scoring wings are a need as well but I also said I don't know anything. I'm perfectly fine with the pick since he fits a real need in the pipeline as well since I'm not so sure how much Grans can be counted on. If there is an argument that Guenther/Clarke are equal (If there is an argument) then I'm probably going to lean to the defenseman.

Others have inferred from the interviews and such that this was a tier of players that the Kings liked and were ready to trade down to 9 for...but once Eklund was taken, they killed the trade, suggesting that's how high they had Clarke too. Sharks and Kings made out in this draft like the Ducks did with Zegras imo.

I can understand people wanting scoring wingers but Clarke definitely fills a need as well as BPA, so it's gold as far as I'm concerned. Now if we would have picked a random playmaking C with those guys all on the board? I could understand the forming mob.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You can hear the excitement in Yannetti's voice when he described Clarke as being the type of defenseman the Kings have never had in all his years with the team.

That's also quite the compliment, and also a sign of how little offensive talent from the blueline the Kings have developed since drafting Doughty/Voynov in 2008.

It's funny because the more I watch him, despite the comparisons to other dmen, the one I see most is Klingberg.

Random bouts of slipperyness when you think he's about to get checked, gets through like a knife through hot butter, great skater even if strange stride.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's funny because the more I watch him, despite the comparisons to other dmen, the one I see most is Klingberg.

Random bouts of slipperyness when you think he's about to get checked, gets through like a knife through hot butter, great skater even if strange stride.

In addition to that, his skating style really doesn't seem to be a hindrance at all. I guess it's a personal taste for some if they prefer style over substance. He's certainly no pretty skater, but like you said, even with his awkward skating style, he is elusive and skilled on his feet.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I watched that entire clip for a third time. How could 7 teams pass on him? Those skating legs are the only reason the Kings were able to get him at #8. I honestly think many a scout and GM just kind of cringed a little at watching that skating of his; if his skating form was textbook and looked better (but not necessarily be much better power / speed even) he would have gone top 4. Owen Power cannot even come close to what Clarke can do....nor Edvinsson. I like Hughes, but I think Clarke is better.

So, just keep working as he is dedicated to do and he will get stronger and probably have somewhat better technique and power. It's that brain and sense that he has - one that will make the Kings PP be in the top 1/3 for a decade. I envision Arty scoring 35+ goals annually and getting a big multi year contract...he will owe 10% of it to Brandt.

He may never be first unit PK, but who cares? He is sound defensively and his brain and quickness to make correct reads will go a long way in the D zone. He also asserts himself and works hard. Many offensive defenseman are not so great defensively. He will have Bjornfot or Anderson as a LHD partner and will be a great tandem.

What blows my mind is when guys get passed over for fixable techniques/habits. If he's doing THAT well out there and his skating still has room for improvement, isn't that exactly what you're looking for? Means a higher ceiling.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
He's made it work at every level and it doesn't slow him down at all. Still expect him to be a dominant player.

One article pointed out the major reason it causes concern is it forces him to be 'pot committed' to everything, he's leaning forward and in so instead of being agile/ready to cut on an outside edge, a guy can shake him because he's going basically forward no matter what.

So he'll get burned his first year up by McDavid like Bjornfot did and he'll learn from it. :D

His stance also prevents him from the occasion poke check, so to speak. Doughty is a really good example of when to poke check and or use his speed when defending the rush, Clarke will definitely love learning from him.

We now have a Kopitar light w/ Byfield and a Doughty lite w/ Clarke. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad