Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
On BC's exclusion there is a rumor going around the WHL rinks (so not close to the situation per se but closer than usual) that believe that the well known argument that happened between BC and Mactavish and is said to have bled into the coaching staff from last year is what has kept BC off of the team this year. I don't know for a fact but the argument is sort of well known.

Either way I would also consider what happened to Kups during his time with team Fin. I mean just as he is starting to make it in pro hockey he goes to the WJC's and F's up his "lower body" badly enough that there was concern he might not make it back to playing pro at all. Now we all know that he did and is looking like a really good young NHL'er but the injury could have cost him his career. GM's get nervous about sending signed and developing young players to "Non Team" tournaments, very nervous.

Just spitting out my spewtem on the matter.

This makes more sense than a conspiracy involving spite against the Kings. This stuff has happened before (I think it was MAF and Corey Perry back in the day), also the well known Isiah Thomas/Dream Team. But ultimately its still rumor and innuendo.

And agree on the last part. I am shocked how many players who project to make NHL rosters are playing in this tournament a mere weeks before camps open. Hopefully there isn't a Kirby Dach or Josh Norris type injury. I hold my breath every time Luke Hughes is on the ice, and I am happy there is no QB or Clarke to worry about.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Amen. There was no reason for Blake to bring back Roy this year. He could’ve sold high on a player who appreciated well above his draft position and cleared cap, but nope.

Doughty-Clarke-Spence have been the obvious RHDs for 2.5 years now.

I really like Roy. But in all honesty, anyone that plays w/ Gavrikov is going to do pretty well. I think the more likely scenario is we just don't re-sign Roy and Clarke comes up.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Amen. There was no reason for Blake to bring back Roy this year. He could’ve sold high on a player who appreciated well above his draft position and cleared cap, but nope.

Doughty-Clarke-Spence have been the obvious RHDs for 2.5 years now.
I was ok with the Gavrikov trade last year on two conditions:

1) He's re-signed
2) When he's re-signed he's paired with Clarke

Clarke needs NHL minutes and a solid vet partner. As the season goes on and the games get tighter, the Kings are going to need more production from their blueline. They need to be using these games to get Clarke acclimated to the NHL game

I like Roy, Roy is a good player, but Roy is just this years version of Walker. There is no future in L.A. for Roy, as they have players that need to play, and no cap space to sign him. This is why Roy should have been moved to bring in a goaltender

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I think the other possible scenario is that Spence gets moved by the deadline. Clarke replaces him, and Roy is re-signed.
With what cap space? Blake needs to allow some room for QB, AK and others. I think Arvy is the most likely not to stay w/ the team.

Reactions: kinghock

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Worse scenario.
I mean I didn't necessarily say it was what he should do. It's just a possibility.

I will say though, people underrate Roy. He's very good and neither Clarke nor Spence will be able to give you a similar level a defensive play anytime soon.

With what cap space? Blake needs to allow some room for QB, AK and others. I think Arvy is the most likely not to stay w/ the team.
I don't think it would be an issue cap wise. RV is gone. Kopitar's cap hit drops. Cap goes up. 22.5M in cap space with mostly RFAs to re-sign at the moment.

I think it depends on how much money they're going to spend on a goalie. They have no netminder signed for next year.

• Wow
Reactions: Faterson

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
what do you get out of trading spence though? where's the value? durzi had already kinda made a name for himself (offensively at least) and all you got for him was a 2nd that you've already traded away

might as well just use his waivers exemption, bury him like you've buried bjornfot and bring him back up next season when roy walks

i do value roy and he brings something no one else in this org does, but when it comes to an org managing assets, you let pricey UFAs walk and bring in cost-controlled ELC talents right?

Reactions: johnjm22 and bland

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I mean I didn't necessarily say it was what he should do. It's just a possibility.

I will say though, people underrate Roy. He's very good and neither Clarke nor Spence will be able to give you a similar level a defensive play anytime soon.

I don't think it would be an issue cap wise. RV is gone. Kopitar's cap hit drops. Cap goes up. 22.5M in cap space with mostly RFAs to re-sign at the moment.

I think it depends on how much money they're going to spend on a goalie. They have no netminder signed for next year.
You can’t keep spending to the cap on mediocrity. Roy is a good player but we’ve had his best seasons for the cheapest price. Now it’s time to trade him for a 2nd and 3rd and maintain flexibility.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
agree, if a RHD is being moved it should be Roy. Love what he has brought, but think we have seen his best. Cap is better spent on a goalie.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
You can’t keep spending to the cap on mediocrity. Roy is a good player but we’ve had his best seasons for the cheapest price. Now it’s time to trade him for a 2nd and 3rd and maintain flexibility.
If you think his trade value is a 2nd and a 3rd, then you underrate him.

Roy should get a 1st+ easily.

He's not mediocre.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia