Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I was aware of the outrageous (but amusing) Kaliyev birther conspiracy "theory" and I had heard the "doesn't play defense/skate hard/win board battles/pass the puck" stuff before as well but had never heard even the faintest whisper of the other subject

That's very very strange

this industry is a weird one and the number of people you can encounter at every level that will profess to know what they're talking about because they talked to someone else that professed to know what they're talking about is kind of amazing....

Only marginally related but when I see "prospect rankings" that relies on "conversations" with "scouts" or "industry insiders" I frequently find myself remembering that just because someone is a scout or insider or well placed source.... doesn't mean they have any idea what they're talking about.

Food for thought.
True. We saw it with Akim Aliu who reportedly had an "attitude problem" as he was rising in the professional ranks, only to have it turn out he was subjected to a racist asshole of a coach.

Biases and misinformation comes from even the closest of sources.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Who gives a shit if he is on the spectrum? Who cares what Drew’s home life consists of? I sure as hell don’t give a shit what any of their favorite clothing companies are! Too much information.

My older son is high functioning autistic and he's a pretty strong young man. He was not coordinated to play most sports well, but was good at tae kwon do...but his movements were not fluid. He can do a backflip and I can't. I haven't tried and never will at this point. If Arty is on the spectrum, it's very mild.

Alex Honnold did the most incredible human feat (in human history) when he free solo'd, 3,000 foot El Capitan.
I've watched it about 5 times and still cannot believe it. He seems to be on the spectrum.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

Clarke once again passed over for this tournament. I wonder what Yannetti thinks this time if this was his reaction last time:

Attachments

• %22It's not a hockey decision%22- Mark Yannetti sounds off on Brandt Clarke's absence from Tea...pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To be fair Hunt --> Del Mastro is more of a stylistic comparison

But I'm not making excuses for them because it's just an ongoing joke

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I know everyone thinks Team Canada are big clueless jerks that keep kids off the team because of grudges, but I doubt they’ve all decided to conspire against young Brandt. Makes me wonder if there’s some other problem with him.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know everyone thinks Team Canada are big clueless jerks that keep kids off the team because of grudges, but I doubt they’ve all decided to conspire against young Brandt. Makes me wonder if there’s some other problem with him.

Have you seen the issues afflicting the whole team canada organization

I would never take this as an indictment of one's character

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Herby can correct me if I'm wrong, but mostly I just heard this type of nasty stuff about him on the Internet (here, Reddit, or other forums), but people would say they heard it from others. No reputable scouting service would post anything like that though.

A post about his "real age". It's mostly a joke but cites the rampant speculation:

There is no specific, word-for-word, "on the spectrum" speculation. But people alluded to different personality issues because he was socially awkward, particularly in interviews. Damien Cox, cited in the Reddit post above, also suggested he's not a good person as the reason he fell, because "teams know."

Please know I'm not saying it's credible or I believe it. Just that the cruelty of the Internet contributing to irresponsible speculation.

You can find posts about him being on the spectrum on HF boards from a decent amount of posts in 2019. On the draft section.

Reactions: King'sPawn

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
My older son is high functioning autistic and he's a pretty strong young man. He was not coordinated to play most sports well, but was good at tae kwon do...but his movements were not fluid. He can do a backflip and I can't. I haven't tried and never will at this point. If Arty is on the spectrum, it's very mild.

Alex Honnold did the most incredible human feat (in human history) when he free solo'd, 3,000 foot El Capitan.
I've watched it about 5 times and still cannot believe it. He seems to be on the spectrum.
I wasn’t shitting on Arty whatsoever homie. All I’m saying is I don’t think we really need to know all of the private details of their lives. That’s awesome your son is super into sports and that he can do backflips.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I was aware of the outrageous (but amusing) Kaliyev birther conspiracy "theory" and I had heard the "doesn't play defense/skate hard/win board battles/pass the puck" stuff before as well but had never heard even the faintest whisper of the other subject

That's very very strange

this industry is a weird one and the number of people you can encounter at every level that will profess to know what they're talking about because they talked to someone else that professed to know what they're talking about is kind of amazing....

Only marginally related but when I see "prospect rankings" that relies on "conversations" with "scouts" or "industry insiders" I frequently find myself remembering that just because someone is a scout or insider or well placed source.... doesn't mean they have any idea what they're talking about.

Food for thought.
My son is a high functioning autistic kid.
If AK is in this category I would not say he can’t make it or would not be a great player. If he has this type of difference then he might take more time to learn what he needs to be successful. Kids like this can be delayed learners, which in the case of AK would be amazing because he’s already in LA playing an NHL role. For kids on the spectrum it takes them more time than others to learn and mature. One big thing that they exhibit is a big lack awareness of how he come across to others. Kids like this can also be able to have a hyper focus on things that they are really passionate about. So they may become exceptionally skilled on those specific things. On an interpersonal basis kids in this category can and will seem aloof, because they don’t really process these aspects of life but they can be very capable and even elite in those areas that really stimulates their mind. To me it would be an incredible compliment to AK as well as the Kings if he does really become a true top 6 fwd and he is on the spectrum.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I wasn’t shitting on Arty whatsoever homie. All I’m saying is I don’t think we really need to know all of the private details of their lives. That’s awesome your son is super into sports and that he can do backflips.

I don't think anyone disagrees. I think the point was WHY would a kid like that drop and all the supporting theories, and frankly, it unfortunately makes sense that the 'gud ol boys' culture in hockey would see a kid like Arty as somehow problematic upon interview.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
provided health, I don't see any way he's not an NHLer. It's his ultimate ceiling we disagree on. But the dude has every tool to be at least a third liner right this minute. But even in that role he could be a great leader.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s definitely his health that is the route of my concern, although I’m still fairly certain he will battle through it and become an important part of the team.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
His defensive game is not there yet. Because obviously its not his offensive prowess.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
His defensive game is not there yet. Because obviously its not his offensive prowess.

His defensive game is good. This is just a meme at this point.

It's not his strongest point but it in no way should keep him off that team.

The criticisms of him at camp basically boiled down to "well this player's peak is a 6 and he's playing at a 5. Clarke's peak is a 9 but he's ONLY playing at a 7. Take player A."

This isn't just us being homers, almost everyone is all over them for it.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It was only an eight-game stretch, but I seem to remember that even though Turcotte didn't get on the score sheet, he was driving play and creating high danger chances. He could have scored at least a couple of goals but he was robbed at the doorstep number of times. All from the fourth line.
He player 2/3 of his minutes with a very off form Dustin Brown and mostly played with Kupari who was also snake bitten as the time (IIRC there were a couple of nice ‘assists’ that were not converted).

Reactions: cyclones22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad