Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think Roy gets a 2nd+ but I don't think he brings in a 1st unless someone is absolutely desperate. He is a rental who would likely play 5-6 on a contender. Martinez and Durzi didn't bring back firsts. Not to mention that I doubt Blake trades him. I can't see him kicking Roy off for anyone less experienced or less defensive when he is in win now or get fired mode. Unless he finds some weird deal with a contender that wants to trade a legit goalie.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think Roy gets a 2nd+ but I don't think he brings in a 1st unless someone is absolutely desperate. He is a rental who would likely play 5-6 on a contender. Martinez and Durzi didn't bring back firsts. Not to mention that I doubt Blake trades him. I can't see him kicking Roy off for anyone less experienced or less defensive when he is in win now or get fired mode. Unless he finds some weird deal with a contender that wants to trade a legit goalie.
Roy is a perfectly good top 4 dman on a contender. You're underrating him. He's excellent. (Even though he's had a slow start to this season).

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Can't forget the Blake factor in the return. This is the guy who got a 2nd and a B prospect for the best forward available at the deadline (Toffoli) in the same sellers market that saw the Ducks and Sharks pull 1sts for Kase and Goodrow a week later. In a Roy trade, two 2nds and a high salary grinder vet is what I'd expect coming back.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Can't forget the Blake factor in the return. This is the guy who got a 2nd and a B prospect for the best forward available at the deadline (Toffoli) in the same sellers market that saw the Ducks and Sharks pull 1sts for Kase and Goodrow a week later. In a Roy trade, two 2nds and a high salary grinder vet is what I'd expect coming back.
Wasn't the best return for Toffoli, but trades have not been one of Blake's shortcomings. More often than not he comes out on top.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
With 2 assists last night.....Clarke is leading all AHL Dmen as a true rookie. Among rookies....he is leading the pack by far with a pt per game avg. Next is Zellweger with a .77 ppg.

Good problem to have :) I think the only way he gets time on the Kings right now is through an injury.

Reactions: ru4reals

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
2 more pts last night...still leading league for dman and posting a 1.06 ppg. Max Hollowell is catching up and has a higher PPG but note- hes a full 5 years older.

Same with our old friend Christian Wolanin but I think he's back up with the Canucks PLUS he's 50 years old

So vs. his peers yeah absolutely no contest Clarke is smoking the league and picking up steam

Reactions: David Lunch and bmr

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
2 more pts last night...still leading league for dman and posting a 1.06 ppg. Max Hollowell is catching up and has a higher PPG but note- hes a full 5 years older.
Clarke is definitely the first defenseman callup. I'd imagine Turcotte/Fagemo would be the first forward callup. Crazy how both teams are rolling right now.

Reactions: David Lunch

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Same with our old friend Christian Wolanin but I think he's back up with the Canucks PLUS he's 50 years old

So vs. his peers yeah absolutely no contest Clarke is smoking the league and picking up steam
Picking up steam is the best way to put it. He had a lackluster start to the year in Ontario, but has continually gotten better and gained even more confidence at every turn. He is absolutely ready for the NHL, but i'm not sure how that happens outside of an injury. It would be pretty ballsy for Blake to trade one of the RHD during the season - I don't see it happening.

Doughty/Roy/Spence - does anyone not want any of these guys on the team? Anyone think Blake will try to re-sign Roy? I would hate to see Spence traded in favor of Clarke. Tough decisions.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Picking up steam is the best way to put it. He had a lackluster start to the year in Ontario, but has continually gotten better and gained even more confidence at every turn. He is absolutely ready for the NHL, but i'm not sure how that happens outside of an injury. It would be pretty ballsy for Blake to trade one of the RHD during the season - I don't see it happening.

Doughty/Roy/Spence - does anyone not want any of these guys on the team? Anyone think Blake will try to re-sign Roy? I would hate to see Spence traded in favor of Clarke. Tough decisions.

Keep em all, someone is bound to get hurt at some point, and if all are healthy Englund can be 7th dman, espeically as since part of the learning curve you're not likely to play Clarke all 82.

But i suspect Roy is a cap casualty after this year, he's on a sweetheart deal now.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Keep em all, someone is bound to get hurt at some point, and if all are healthy Englund can be 7th dman, espeically as since part of the learning curve you're not likely to play Clarke all 82.

But i suspect Roy is a cap casualty after this year, he's on a sweetheart deal now.
Can Clarke or Spence play effectively on the left, though? If you push me right now, i'd take Clarke over Roy. I think Roy can bring more physicality/clean out the crease, but Clarke is definitely more dynamic. I was actually watching Roy closely last night and he had a very good game.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can Clarke or Spence play effectively on the left, though? If you push me right now, i'd take Clarke over Roy. I think Roy can bring more physicality/clean out the crease, but Clarke is definitely more dynamic. I was actually watching Roy closely last night and he had a very good game.

I mean it's obviously less than ideal

Spence appears to be able to especially in a depth role

But I"m not trading Roy JUST to make room for Clarke is the overall point

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
The Kings aren’t going to move on from Roy because they want to “make room” for a guy like Clarke, that much you can take to the bank.

They should move on from Roy because of the significant raise he will see (and has rightly earned) this summer, coupled with the presence of cost-controlled youth ready to step in. It’s how good teams stay good in a cap world, and it almost always sucks to see happen.

Arvidsson is losing grip on a contract renewal here for the same reasons, compounded by such success in his absence.

Reactions: David Lunch

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
The Kings aren’t going to move on from Roy because they want to “make room” for a guy like Clarke, that much you can take to the bank.

They should move on from Roy because of the significant raise he will see (and has rightly earned) this summer, coupled with the presence of cost-controlled youth ready to step in. It’s how good teams stay good in a cap world, and it almost always sucks to see happen.

Arvidsson is losing grip on a contract renewal here for the same reasons, compounded by such success in his absence.
I would be shocked if RV is back next year. The Kings are going to be in a cap crunch, and his 4-5 million could be better spent elsewhere, such as Byfields extension.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Arvidsson and Roy will both be gone next year.

Byfield and Clarke are the future of this franchise and should be treated as such.
SHOULD be gone next year -- replaced by cheaper young guys (Clarke, Laf, Turc/Homophobic Slur, etc.). Extra cap space should be used for a goalie and a physical tough guy (PF or LHD). But I don't trust Blake when it comes to roster planning, extensions, etc.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Lots of free agents next year:

Lizotte
Grundstrom
Byfield
Kaliyev
JAD
Lewis
Roy
Spence
RV
Talbot
Copley

$22.5M in cap space. Doesn't really matter if the team wants to keep them, RV and Roy are gonzo unless someone else moves out.

I could see Lewis being retained if he maintains form, he's a huge value at his salary. I don't see any of the other UFA's sticking around. Maybe Talbot I guess, but if he keeps near his pace his value will bump up, so might as well pay a bit more for a younger guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad