Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
Some people just can't pass up a chance to flunk players based on a made-up, tacky, unrealistic, stupid income sacrifice purity test

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Just for accuracy’s sake, Kopitar’s extension is $7 million per. The cap hit is $3 million lower than his last deal, though he’ll be making the exact same dollar amount as he is this season.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Just like his last deal was, right? I mean you can't dispute having those Western Conference and Stanley Cup banners hanging in Staples Center that were earned during his last 8-year, $80 million dollar contract. That too was a great deal for the Kings.

Lol we're back to talking about Kopitar getting too much money even though this is the only year they've really been in cap hell and it's mostly from overpaying for PLD?

And this is relevant to Brandt Clarke how?

Were the Kings going to offer him more than the ELC?
Wnnner

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kopitar at 7 million while PPG at age 36 getting toughest matchups--what a scrub, should have taken a discount for the team, you've earned enough buddy

PLD while making 8.5 million in his prime while scoring at a 47 point pace in cream puff matchups--ahhh yeah this guy slots us properly and gives us great center depth, is a huge reason for our success

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Kopitar absolutely should have taken less if he cares about winning. There is no legitimate reason why a player who has earned well over $100 million in his career should be accepting a deal for that much when an extra $2 million on the cap could be massively influential on a cap-strapped team.

Its respect over results.

Reactions: kinghock

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Kopitar absolutely should have taken less if he cares about winning. There is no legitimate reason why a player who has earned well over $100 million in his career should be accepting a deal for that much when an extra $2 million on the cap could be massively influential on a cap-strapped team.

Teams leading scorer?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Kopitar at 7 million while PPG at age 36 getting toughest matchups--what a scrub, should have taken a discount for the team, you've earned enough buddy

PLD while making 8.5 million in his prime while scoring at a 47 point pace in cream puff matchups--ahhh yeah this guy slots us properly and gives us great center depth, is a huge reason for our success
Yeah man, I absolutely have to agree here with ya.

Should Kopitar have taken a bump less on his retirement contract? Probably.

Does it hurt nearly as much as coughing up multiple high quality assets along with 8.5M of cap for the least engaged big man since Dustin Penner? f*** no.

*Disclaimer: PL is my least favorite king since Nathan Dempsey

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

You would take a 50% paycut at work while still doing the same exact job? Interesting.

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA

For an anti stats guy you sure like... Projection 😬

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
22 pts in 21 games and a +9. Clarke is clearly excelling in Ontario and should be the first call up if we need a defenseman.
I mean it is borderline frustrating that he isn't in the NHL because he clearly belongs there and likely could have an immediate impact, but where do you put him? The team is rolling right now and the defense is working very well. It's pretty tough, but clearly he is #1 unless Moverare is really good at making them feel bad for burying him and stunting his career :P

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I mean it is borderline frustrating that he isn't in the NHL because he clearly belongs there and likely could have an immediate impact, but where do you put him? The team is rolling right now and the defense is working very well. It's pretty tough, but clearly he is #1 unless Moverare is really good at making them feel bad for burying him and stunting his career :P
What's so frustrating about it?? he's fine! it's not like he's 30 years old, he's a kid.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
What's so frustrating about it?? he's fine! it's not like he's 30 years old, he's a kid.
The Kings are 17th in the league on the powerplay and have one of the most gifted/promising upcoming offensive powerplay quarterbacks in the world in the minors with nothing left to prove and getting run by 30+ year-old ex-NHL tough guys and rejects. Sure, it teaches him how to stick and remain healthy in the league as long as he does *crosses fingers*, but I think most would rather he was on the roster, developing in the NHL, and given the opportunity to produce for the big club.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think they need to get him some time during the regular season so that if injury means he has to come in, it’s not in a scenario where he has an exponential learning curve. Also per @Telos he would improve the pp as the only true offensive D man in the system. That’s no slight on Spence who is a great PMD with good offensive instincts but Clarke is another beast. With DD he also has offensive tools but Clarke is so very different.

It’s a tough one because ‘if it ain’t broke… ‘ but injuries occur, slumps happen and teams/players get figured out. Clarke, as I’ve said before brings an X-factor we may need if they think they are ready for a deep run.

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
The Kings are 17th in the league on the powerplay and have one of the most gifted/promising upcoming offensive powerplay quarterbacks in the world in the minors with nothing left to prove and getting run by 30+ year-old ex-NHL tough guys and rejects. Sure, it teaches him how to stick and remain healthy in the league as long as he does *crosses fingers*, but I think most would rather he was on the roster, developing in the NHL, and given the opportunity to produce for the big club.
I totally agree. But the challenge at this point is who would he replace? The way the defense is meshing right now, I don't know where he would plug in. I know that Roy is probably the first player that he would be suggested to replace, but Roy has been rock solid on that second pairing. Hopefully he will be the first player called up if there is an injury, but outside of that, I don't see on the big club any time soon.

Reactions: Telos

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I see both sides of the debate on how much Kopitar should have accepted. I feel like he has no obligation to do it, but some athletes have in the past (Bergeron, Tom Brady) but others certainly have not. Remember he did have Ryan Smyth as a linemate for 2 years, Smyth was very vocal about how he learned to get everything you can from Weight and Guerin, maybe that was passed on to AK and DD. The $7m number wasn't ever going to hurt the Kings, the big risk was in the two years for a guy who will be 37 and 38, but at this point it's looking more and more like Kopitar is going to be more Bergeron and Pavelski than he is going to be Getzlaf. With his game-sense it really is possible that Kopitar could play into his 40's if he wanted to, he is still one step ahead of almost everyone in both zones even as his skating has gotten worse.

As for Clarke, there will eventually be injuries that should open up a spot for him but this is the Kings, they weren't going to give him a spot at 20 without AHL time. I worry about some bad habits being developed in a league where he is just better than everyone he is competing against and also about the potential of being cheap-shotted. But the likelihood of moving Roy or Spence in a deal for a goaltender doesn't seem likely to happen, so next season will probably be his coming out party.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I see both sides of the debate on how much Kopitar should have accepted. I feel like he has no obligation to do it, but some athletes have in the past (Bergeron, Tom Brady) but others certainly have not. Remember he did have Ryan Smyth as a linemate for 2 years, Smyth was very vocal about how he learned to get everything you can from Weight and Guerin, maybe that was passed on to AK and DD. The $7m number wasn't ever going to hurt the Kings, the big risk was in the two years for a guy who will be 37 and 38, but at this point it's looking more and more like Kopitar is going to be more Bergeron and Pavelski than he is going to be Getzlaf. With his game-sense it really is possible that Kopitar could play into his 40's if he wanted to, he is still one step ahead of almost everyone in both zones even as his skating has gotten worse.

As for Clarke, there will eventually be injuries that should open up a spot for him but this is the Kings, they weren't going to give him a spot at 20 without AHL time. I worry about some bad habits being developed in a league where he is just better than everyone he is competing against and also about the potential of being cheap-shotted. But the likelihood of moving Roy or Spence in a deal for a goaltender doesn't seem likely to happen, so next season will probably be his coming out party.
I can envision a timeline where he is making a contribution on the big club in the playoffs this season.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Someone on that D is going to get hurt this year, they aren't going to play all 82. And it's not uncommon for two at once to go out. Guys get hit with pucks, fall awkwardly, etc.

We will see Clarke then.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Yes, very possible, but I think it's going to require an injury. When I said his coming out I meant as a regular Top 6 guy on the depth chart.
I believe it would require an injury as well: just feel like the potential of that is high enough where it wouldn't be shocking if it happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00