Prospect Info: At 8th Overall the Kings Select Brandt Clarke

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I want both there. I’m still confident on Thomas after his play-off showing, finding his game after his double shoulder surgery. He’s on my list of potential surprises at training camp.

Akil is waiver eligible after this coming season (like a few other prospects...), so the Kings need to decide what to do with him. It's too bad that there was such a long recover for double-shoulder surgery before he started to get into the swing of things. At least he'll have the full season (knock on wood) to continue to develop.

Reactions: Fat Elvis and YP44

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Akil is waiver eligible after this coming season (like a few other prospects...), so the Kings need to decide what to do with him. It's too bad that there was such a long recover for double-shoulder surgery before he started to get into the swing of things. At least he'll have the full season (knock on wood) to continue to develop.
I'm pretty sure he's exempt at least one more year.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I think Hanlon's Razor would be particularly useful here.

""never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Stupidity may be too harsh a buzz word but I think it's far more likely Clarke simply doesn't "fit the mold" of what a bunch of good ol' Canadian hockey man want or expect than it is to believe that it's a revenge fueled conspiracy theory against an entire organization for undefined and nebulous reasons.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Hanlon's Razor would be particularly useful here.

""never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Stupidity may be too harsh a buzz word but I think it's far more likely Clarke simply doesn't "fit the mold" of what a bunch of good ol' Canadian hockey man want or expect than it is to believe that it's a revenge fueled conspiracy theory against an entire organization for undefined and nebulous reasons.

or maybe he just wasn't the best fit for the role they were looking for. Maybe he is not ready to be in the NHL this year. All of which is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Fat Elvis and funky

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Possibly. I wonder towards who

Who know, it may go back years well before we even drafted Clarke. Now that guys are in possitions of power they're just settling old scores. Lombardi use to talk about a guys in the NHL front office that was pissed at him for years because he didn't hire him when he was the GM in SJ or LA.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Sorry, I made my post and then was gone for a few days. I thought it was more common knowledge from reading these forums and others that there was speculation about Kaliyev's age and potential mental development issues. As KP said, no credible source is going to come out and say this, this isn't Hughes and Caufield being smaller than usual or Kopitar being from a non-hockey country, it's clearly a more delicate subject that teams and scouting services won't discuss openly . But it also doesn't mean it's some wack job starting these rumors online, it is very likely at least one of those things was considered by NHL teams, and with how far Kaliyev fell it seems that many teams were concerned about it, enough to let a really good player fall way further than he should have.

At this point even if both things were to be true (I think unlikely), the autism has not had any effect on him seamlessly transitioning the two biggest hurdles any player faces, #1 becoming a pro and the big one becoming an NHL'er. Even the age thing were also true, Kaliyev would have showed a lot last year as a 22 year old (same age as Vilardi and JAD), including a shot that is probably 90th percentile in the NHL, not many guys are capable of shooting like he did in the Dallas gam, it's not like that is going away. If he is 22, it might slightly limit the ceiling but Kaliyev is going to be in the league because of his shot, it would have more of an effect in a dozen years than it does right now.

Just to add with the age thing, assuming he were a 99, it would be quite extraordinary for a player who played AAA in Detroit at 17, to jump to the OHL at 18, be an OHL star at 19-20, a really good AHL'er at 21 and an NHL regular at 22. If a 17 year old future OHL star and NHL player were competing in AAA (even in the best AAA league in America) they would dominate way more than even Kaliyev did. His progression looks much more like an 01 than a 99, especially for a kid who has played his whole life.

As far as Clarke, no weird conspiracies here (let's not be ridiculous). They just don't like him, just like a lot of you didn't like Erik Karlsson's game and would let us all know in the "Around the League Thread" anytime a mistake happened. To many hockey staffs and hockey fans a defenseman should above all else be defensive, even if it limits his offensive ceiling. Team Canada's coaches are probably worried about a key error Clarke may make going for an offensive chance and not even consider that his offensive chances might be the difference in them winning or losing.

It gets back to the post I made a couple days ago, there are a lot of people in powerful positions throughout hockey who don't want unique players who might come with issues and prefer the low ceiling and safer players. It happens at the draft and it happens in these selections. I don't get it, and never will. But oh well, it's no big deal at all for Clarke's development, this greatly mirrors Kyle Connor who despite being a 1st round pick and leading the NCAA in goals and points as a 19 year old freshman at the time of selection was left off the 2016 team. Safe to say it had no effect on the player he became.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Who know, it may go back years well before we even drafted Clarke. Now that guys are in possitions of power they're just settling old scores. Lombardi use to talk about a guys in the NHL front office that was pissed at him for years because he didn't hire him when he was the GM in SJ or LA.

He was talking about Mike Murphy. A person who spent a lot of time with the Kings as a player and a coach and who no one else ever claimed had a vendetta against the Kings. In fact I think one of his most controversial rulings favored the Kings and people claimed he favored the Kings.

Just like with the Red Berenson thing where Dean said "hockey people all know" was completely contradicted by the large number of sons of "hockey people" that ended up at UM. Why would hockey people send their sons to "the worst development" team?

Lombardi sometimes didn't think before he said stuff that was easily called out as BS.

The Hockey Canada coaches for this tournament have no agenda against the Kings, like Jessie said, they are probably just making a stupid decision, not a spiteful one. They aren't going to risk winning the WJC to spite the Kings, especially since not bringing Clarke doesn't do anything to the Kings.

Reactions: Maynard

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As far as Clarke, no weird conspiracies here (let's not be ridiculous). They just don't like him, just like a lot of you didn't like Erik Karlsson's game and would let us all know in the "Around the League Thread" anytime a mistake happened. To many hockey staffs and hockey fans a defenseman should above all else be defensive, even if it limits his offensive ceiling. Team Canada's coaches are probably worried about a key error Clarke may make going for an offensive chance and not even consider that his offensive chances might be the difference in them winning or losing.

It gets back to the post I made a couple days ago, there are a lot of people in powerful positions throughout hockey who don't want unique players who might come with issues and prefer the low ceiling and safer players. It happens at the draft and it happens in these selections. I don't get it, and never will. But oh well, it's no big deal at all for Clarke's development, this greatly mirrors Kyle Connor who despite being a 1st round pick and leading the NCAA in goals and points as a 19 year old freshman at the time of selection was left off the 2016 team. Safe to say it had no effect on the player he became.
I just want to touch base on this.

Any reasonable person knows it's not actually a grudge or conspiracy. It IS bordering on ridiculous as far as digging their heels in to exclude him.

It's one thing not to like Erik Karlsson's style. But to have 9 or so defensemen above him shows a certain level of stubbornness, particularly since they have all 7 left-handed shots. And they have Olen Zellweger, so it's not like they're averse to offensive defensemen.

Team Canada has decided they don't like Clarke, and that's their perogative. But it's approaching a point where they just don't have a defensible position. So the best explanation, even if untrue, is that Canada's meming or that they have a personal grudge.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I just want to touch base on this.

Any reasonable person knows it's not actually a grudge or conspiracy. It IS bordering on ridiculous as far as digging their heels in to exclude him.

It's one thing not to like Erik Karlsson's style. But to have 9 or so defensemen above him shows a certain level of stubbornness, particularly since they have all 7 left-handed shots. And they have Olen Zellweger, so it's not like they're averse to offensive defensemen.

Team Canada has decided they don't like Clarke, and that's their perogative. But it's approaching a point where they just don't have a defensible position. So the best explanation, even if untrue, is that Canada's meming or that they have a personal grudge.

Was gonna mention all the LHD and Zellweger, but also Cormier. And you could easily argue Lambos, though that one was more of a judgment call. Plus Seeley and Sebrango were awful for long stretches last year. It's just so insane that you wouldn't even give that upside a chance. You can make a case, contextually, for any individual one of those guys over Clarke on a contextual case-by-case basis but as a whole it's brutal. Again.

I remember I held the opinion that they invited him solely so they wouldn't get beef for not inviting him this time but never intended to actually include him but I didn't actually believe it would happen until it did.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Wait Kaliyev is Autistic? Good on him, hope he becomes a face.

1660057489857.png

This guy? Nahhhhhh!

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Am i the only one who thinks this delayed WHJ tourney is unnecessary? It sucks the last one got cancelled for Covid, but we're closer now to the next tourney. Sometimes you gotta take/accept a loss and move on.

Maybe the simple answer is to be happy with more hockey -- especially seeing the young, future stars of the game. But it just seems odd to have this tourney back on again when the next annual one is like 4 months away. Some of the same players in this round will also be in that one too.

Is this a money grab issue? Or is it purely the love of hockey and getting these young guys on a big stage for their development?

Reactions: funky

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Am i the only one who thinks this delayed WHJ tourney is unnecessary? It sucks the last one got cancelled for Covid, but we're closer now to the next tourney. Sometimes you gotta take/accept a loss and move on.

Maybe the simple answer is to be happy with more hockey -- especially seeing the young, future stars of the game. But it just seems odd to have this tourney back on again when the next annual one is like 4 months away. Some of the same players in this round will also be in that one too.

Is this a money grab issue?
Or is it purely the love of hockey and getting these young guys on a big stage for their development?
Yes. It is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Is this a money grab issue? Or is it purely the love of hockey and getting these young guys on a big stage for their development?

it's a money grab but a lot of sponsors have pulled out with the allegations, and tickets are not selling like they thought they would.
I am happy for the kids that otherwise would have missed out. It does seem odd for no Russia

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
matthews to la (e3)
But see that one is actually happening, my second cousins best friend is dating Matthews dental hygienist’s assistant’s brother. Told them it’s a done deal, 7 years 5mil to LA, so order those jerseys boys. We can hang them next to a certain someone’s Stamkos Kings jersey.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But see that one is actually happening, my second cousins best friend is dating Matthews dental hygienist’s assistant’s brother. Told them it’s a done deal, 7 years 5mil to LA, so order those jerseys boys. We can hang them next to a certain someone’s Stamkos Kings jersey.

ew, kind of a lot of term, doesn't seem real

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He was talking about Mike Murphy. A person who spent a lot of time with the Kings as a player and a coach and who no one else ever claimed had a vendetta against the Kings. In fact I think one of his most controversial rulings favored the Kings and people claimed he favored the Kings.

Just like with the Red Berenson thing where Dean said "hockey people all know" was completely contradicted by the large number of sons of "hockey people" that ended up at UM. Why would hockey people send their sons to "the worst development" team?

Lombardi sometimes didn't think before he said stuff that was easily called out as BS.

The Hockey Canada coaches for this tournament have no agenda against the Kings, like Jessie said, they are probably just making a stupid decision, not a spiteful one. They aren't going to risk winning the WJC to spite the Kings, especially since not bringing Clarke doesn't do anything to the Kings.

While your points are valid, I've seen first hand how petty coaches and selection groups can be. From baseball all-star teams to surfing national teams. Imagine a kid not making a team because your dad beat someone in a friendly poker game and they never got over it. Or because you drilled his kid in the ribs with a fastball earlier in the year. How about not letting a guy win a heat to advance so he can make the team and you can't, just because he's older and has a higher profile. Spitefulness is real at all levels and any sport.

Reactions: psych3man

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

Whatever happened to Dancing Boy? Or is typing his name like saying Voldemort out loud?

Reactions: Docgonzo

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
On BC's exclusion there is a rumor going around the WHL rinks (so not close to the situation per se but closer than usual) that believe that the well known argument that happened between BC and Mactavish and is said to have bled into the coaching staff from last year is what has kept BC off of the team this year. I don't know for a fact but the argument is sort of well known.

Either way I would also consider what happened to Kups during his time with team Fin. I mean just as he is starting to make it in pro hockey he goes to the WJC's and F's up his "lower body" badly enough that there was concern he might not make it back to playing pro at all. Now we all know that he did and is looking like a really good young NHL'er but the injury could have cost him his career. GM's get nervous about sending signed and developing young players to "Non Team" tournaments, very nervous.

Just spitting out my spewtem on the matter.

• Haha
Reactions: bsu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad