At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm all for bumping him to the 1st line, just to see what happens. Why not? Give him a solid month and see if anything clicks.

can still filip the switch.

rimshot.gif

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
fun fact: Zadina only has 5 points less in his first 113 NHL games than Tatar did, 11 less than Larkin, 12 less than Bertuzzi
That's somewhat heartening.

Honestly when I watch Zadina carry the puck through center ice and his ability to gain the offensive zone under pressure, I have hope for him. That's a valuable asset for this team, but as we all know he's really struggling to put up points.

I don't see the reason to move on from him, unless someone was willing to offer a great asset for him. It's not like the Wings have tons of players who can fill his spot better.

Reactions: FMichael

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That's somewhat heartening.

Honestly when I watch Zadina carry the puck through center ice and his ability to gain the offensive zone under pressure, I have hope for him. That's a valuable asset for this team, but as we all know he's really struggling to put up points.

Tatar and Bertuzzi were 2nd round picks.

How much more heartening is that?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

they were also older than Zadina when they hit the NHL

Zadina had a 9 game stint in his D+1 then split the year between the AHL/NHL in his D+2 and was a full time NHL player in his D+3

Tatar had a 9 game stint in his D+2 then an 18 game stint in his D+4 and was a full time NHL player in his D+5

Bertuzzi didn't hit the NHL at all until he had a 7 game stint in his D+4 and even then still started the season in the AHL in his D+5

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If someone takes a time machine to tell us that Zadina might turn out to be a Nyquist or Tatar level of player, I don't think many would be happy with him as 6th OA pick.

I remember wanting Dobson before Zadina fell to us. And looks like Wahlstrom is turning out to be pretty good also, though he wasn't as big on my radar at the time.

Hindsight isn't fair, though. I can not and will not fault Ken Holland for snagging Zadina based on what we knew at the time.

Pretty much this, however factor in Zadina's age now vs. when Nyquist & Tatar arrived...that's a key element. The 5th element per se.

Dobson was my pick too.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Zadina had a 9 game stint in his D+1 then split the year between the AHL/NHL in his D+2 and was a full time NHL player in his D+3

Tatar had a 9 game stint in his D+2 then an 18 game stint in his D+4 and was a full time NHL player in his D+5

Bertuzzi didn't hit the NHL at all until he had a 7 game stint in his D+4 and even then still started the season in the AHL in his D+5
Yakupov's 11 more points than Zadina's were entirely in his D+1 and D+2 years, less 2 games to start his D+3 year. :popcorn:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yakupov's 11 more points than Zadina's were entirely in his D+1 and D+2 years, less 2 games to start his D+3 year. :popcorn:

not sure why you keep mentioning Yakupov here( I mean I get it you hate Zadina and are being disingenuous....Zadina has 14 more points than Joe Thornton did in his first 113 games btw)

nobody was calling him a bust his first season

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
not sure why you keep mentioning Yakupov here( I mean I get it you hate Zadina and are being disingenuous....Zadina has 14 more points than Joe Thornton did in his first 113 games btw)

nobody was calling him a bust his first season
I just thought I'd follow the trend of throwing names with comparable stats out without additional context.

Reading through all of the Zadina stuff since he's been drafted, he's always been so close, just needing a little more time. Want him to make the NHL right away? Oh well, give him a few weeks in the AHL to get adjusted and then he'll join the NHL no problem. Struggling in the AHL? Just give him 2 weeks in the WJC to get his confidence up and he'll start to dominate the AHL and be in the NHL by the end of the season. Struggling in the NHL? Throw him on the top line because why not.

STILL doesn't look like he's about to turn any corners to me.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I mean this is the same issue I have with Rasmussen. They are fine hockey players but when you look at their comparative prices and the roles/opportunities given to them based upon their draft price - they both fall short and we keep making excuses for them by sliding down our expectations.

We are now at the point of starting at Herculean, Monster Joe Thornton 2.0 with Ras to - Maybe he could be a good 4C in a Shutdown Role? (except he's not particularly physical, easy to knock of the puck, etc.)

And Zadina is now: He's young and tries really hard and you can see all his skill in entirely non-quantifiable ways.

When we drafted him, he was a falling - maybe he was falling for a reason. He was supposed to be a shoot first, ask questions later, all fire and attitude 1st Line Winger. I was expecting Patrick Sharp - Alex Semin - slick wristers and snapshots, fist pumps and flash. We've seen none of that.

And I get that we want it to work, but it's okay to accept that it's not working out and move on.

BUT, in all fairness, there's no forward drafted around Zs draft slot with over 100 games who are really separating themselves from Zadina. Though Quinn Hughes is a dman, his scoring is amazing! I'm not sure many here wanted Quinn after seeing Zadina fall to us.

Rasmussen you can complain about with Necas and Suzuki proving they are on another level. But I am much less worried about Ras as I am Zadina since big guys take longer to develop. Ras made some amazing plays last night that I've never seen from him before. You can see his confidence is a notch higher since his previous goal.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I wish we could do a better job isolating discussion to fewer threads. Feels like there are a solid handful of semi-active threads discussing Zadina's disappointing play.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Tatar not being up had less to do with not being ready and more to do with Detroit's roster and cap situation. Tatar probably should have been in the NHL in 2012 full time but he was only up for a handful of games.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

How is that relevant though. We already drafted him and he is already in our system. We can't go back in time and select someone else. I don't see how his draft position is relevant to a current evaluation of him as a player and what we decide to do with him moving forward.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I just thought I'd follow the trend of throwing names with comparable stats out without additional context.

Reading through all of the Zadina stuff since he's been drafted, he's always been so close, just needing a little more time. Want him to make the NHL right away? Oh well, give him a few weeks in the AHL to get adjusted and then he'll join the NHL no problem. Struggling in the AHL? Just give him 2 weeks in the WJC to get his confidence up and he'll start to dominate the AHL and be in the NHL by the end of the season. Struggling in the NHL? Throw him on the top line because why not.

STILL doesn't look like he's about to turn any corners to me.

Your commitment to shitting on Zadina but also crying wolf when someone says a negative word about Rasmussen is astoundingly strong

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
zadina has quick acceleration and bursts of speed to hound the puck while big time hustling and playing important defense .
then he gets the puck and is panic stricken dumb . i predict if he gets a talented center that serves him lots of chances he
gets rolling , you can see the physical talent in him . just for now no confidence . i wish we could get a vet mentor center for him ,
pavelski or malkin this summer

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
zadina has quick acceleration and bursts of speed to hound the puck while big time hustling and playing important defense .
then he gets the puck and is panic stricken dumb . i predict if he gets a talented center that serves him lots of chances he
gets rolling , you can see the physical talent in him . just for now no confidence . i wish we could get a vet mentor center for him ,
pavelski or malkin this summer

I agree the talent is there and it's lack of confidence but also think the Redwings handled his development very poorly by rushing him. I mentioned this many times already but when Detroit drafted Zadina I really thought they did so realizing that he was a project in need of time. That's why he fell. Because he was rather raw and not because of a lack of talent. By rushing him I fear the Redwings ruined some of what he could have been. I still like the player and think he's capable of much more with some actual confidence but I fear he may never reach his potential because of how the Rewings ruined his development. Some of the dumb mistakes against the puck like we've seen again today just show that not even the basics are there. He would have needed at least another year if not two in Grand Rapids.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I agree the talent is there and 2it's lack of confidence but also think the Redwings handled his development very poorly by rushing him. I mentioned this many times already but when Detroit drafted Zadina I reallyy thought they did so realizing that he was a project in need of time. That's why he fell. Because he was rather raw and not because of a lack of talent. By rushing him I fear the Redwings ruined some of what he could have been. I still like the player and think he's capable of much more with some actual confidence but I fear he may never reach his potential because of how the Rewings ruined his development. Some of the dumb mistakes against the puck like we've seen again today just show that not even the basics are there. He would have needed at least another year if not two in Grand Rapids.
yes he strikes me with the mental make up that needed more time to get everything down pat so when he came up he was confident .
ide offer malkin top dollar for 2 years to come here and mentor zadina because blash isnt smart enough to do the job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad