At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
That's somewhat heartening.

Honestly when I watch Zadina carry the puck through center ice and his ability to gain the offensive zone under pressure, I have hope for him. That's a valuable asset for this team, but as we all know he's really struggling to put up points.

I don't see the reason to move on from him, unless someone was willing to offer a great asset for him. It's not like the Wings have tons of players who can fill his spot better.
As a critic of the guy I can honestly say he's looking a lot more confident with carrying the puck up ice these past several games...Just wished that confidence coincided with an improvement in the goal scoring dept...Getting many quality opportunities - just seems snakebit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
7 shots against Avs. That did match his career-high.

Last time he had as much was before corona-stoppage at Minnesota. Season 2019-20. Scored 2+0 on that game.

Seems that he is shooting more now, when playing with Rasmussen. Different line chemistry.

Can't wait when he gets a chance to play with Vrana.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I agree the talent is there and it's lack of confidence but also think the Redwings handled his development very poorly by rushing him. I mentioned this many times already but when Detroit drafted Zadina I really thought they did so realizing that he was a project in need of time. That's why he fell. Because he was rather raw and not because of a lack of talent. By rushing him I fear the Redwings ruined some of what he could have been. I still like the player and think he's capable of much more with some actual confidence but I fear he may never reach his potential because of how the Rewings ruined his development. Some of the dumb mistakes against the puck like we've seen again today just show that not even the basics are there. He would have needed at least another year if not two in Grand Rapids.

Did he really fall? He was projected 3rd and went 6th. ARI and MTL were ahead went off the map, so he fell maybe 1 spot. So many of the complainers are the ones who wanted a rebuild, yet aren't even a little patient just cause the kid didn't light it up right away. This is why rebuilds can be very annoying and many times very long, cause most of the kids either take a long time or don't get there. Zadina will be fine, when he gets a real playmaker to play with, something he doesn't currently have.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
I think Zadina needs to go full Cerrano and sacrifice a live chicken. Dude has had no luck at all. His shots just aren’t finding the net for whatever reason.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
We've been saying the same thing for three seasons now. Maybe at some point its not luck and it is the fact that he has an awful shot.

His shot looked better during his first NHL stint. He's trying different moves after gaining some confidence which is nice to see. His shooting percentage is pure dog shit right now but it can't continue if he keeps at it.

The Avs game was one of his best games I've seen from him in a while. Gotta give credit when credit is due.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As someone who doesn't really follow prospects, it's strange because I do remember the talk about Zadina when he was drafted being about his shot, which based on what I've seen of him on the Wings is the weakest part of his game.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
As someone who doesn't really follow prospects, it's strange because I do remember the talk about Zadina when he was drafted being about his shot, which based on what I've seen of him on the Wings is the weakest part of his game.
Yup we were brainwashed from his world juniors that season when Zadina was one timing beauty passes from his linemate all tournament long. We were absolutely duped

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Zadina has a good shot, not sure what others are seeing. The problem is that he's terrible at getting/finding enough open ice to get it off with any consistency and that goes for both his wrist shot and slapper, and if he does its often blocked or deflected. He is also terrible at shooting any pass that isn't exactly in his wheel house, he doesn't need to be Ovie out there but he could do a lot better job of getting subpar passes on net.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Zadina has a good shot, not sure what others are seeing. The problem is that he's terrible at getting/finding enough open ice to get it off with any consistency and that goes for both his wrist shot and slapper, and if he does its often blocked or deflected. He is also terrible at shooting any pass that isn't exactly in his wheel house, he doesn't need to be Ovie out there but he could do a lot better job of getting subpar passes on net.

I'd add lack of shot accuracy, but agree with the rest. He's got time though, relative to Nyquist/Tatar developmental curves.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I don’t buy this either

He’s flashed the ability to score with less than ideal pass location in the past. I think he has a tendency to double clutch. He seems to get flustered when the puck doesn’t settle for him. He doesn’t set up his screens (in a large part because the screens are afraid to actually screen).

It’s confidence and panic threshold. I think that goes for his entire offensive game too, not just the goal scoring.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I don’t buy this either

He’s flashed the ability to score with less than ideal pass location in the past. I think he has a tendency to double clutch. He seems to get flustered when the puck doesn’t settle for him. He doesn’t set up his screens (in a large part because the screens are afraid to actually screen).

It’s confidence and panic threshold. I think that goes for his entire offensive game too, not just the goal scoring.

I think those 3 highlights illustrate his biggest problem:

All 3 of those goals were shot from a distance of 20 feet. When was the last time you saw him take a shot that close? I can't remember the last time. He crosses the blue line and fires it from 40 feet out. He cruises around the easy areas of the ice like he's afraid he might get hit.

Zadina could score, if he just spends more time in the danger zone.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Zadina's shot itself isn't bad. Above-average even. But he's got no deception. And at the NHL level that is killer if you're trying to be a goal scorer. He rarely offers any deception whatsoever. If the goalie's not already moving, Zadina likely won't get him moving. No toe drags, no head fakes, no real stickhandling at all most of the time. Juxtaposed against someone like Raymond (for comparison sake only, not holding him to the same standard), who is attempting deception on a regular basis. Zadina also has poor touch. He's not very creative when it comes to the types of goals he attempts to score. He's just a shooter. And a plain shooter with an above average shot and no deception is probably good for 15-20 goals a season. Until he adds some layers to his game, that's about his ceiling.

Reactions: Jurky and 14ari13

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Zadina's shot itself isn't bad. Above-average even. But he's got no deception. And at the NHL level that is killer if you're trying to be a goal scorer. He rarely offers any deception whatsoever. If the goalie's not already moving, Zadina likely won't get him moving. No toe drags, no head fakes, no real stickhandling at all most of the time. Juxtaposed against someone like Raymond (for comparison sake only, not holding him to the same standard), who is attempting deception on a regular basis. Zadina also has poor touch. He's not very creative when it comes to the types of goals he attempts to score. He's just a shooter. And a plain shooter with an above average shot and no deception is probably good for 15-20 goals a season. Until he adds some layers to his game, that's about his ceiling.

I agree about the deception part, and I also think he needs to be better at getting himself in open spots. Right now he sticks close to whoever is covering him, and I think he needs to get close to the defender and then find ways to quickly back off to get more space.

Reactions: jaster

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don’t buy this either

Like I said in my previous post it looks like his shot has regressed since last season. All of those videos were last season. I think his first problem is his confidence is shot right now.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Like I said in my previous post it looks like his shot has regressed since last season. All of those videos were last season. I think his first problem is his confidence is shot right now.

Confidence is definitely an issue right now. He is frustrated every time he misses, he could use a 2 goal game, or succession of 3 in 4 night real bad right now.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I like the kid, and hope his skills develop. That said, he's now 22 and 114 NHL games in he is 19-28-47 and a -29 with 8% shooting. As the expressions goes, hope is a good breakfast, but a horrible dinner. Filip is at the lunch table.

He won't stick in this League without scoring because he doesn't really offer anything else.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

This one highlights the issue pretty well: If he could locate pucks into top corners off of one timers, he'd be a lot better. But, this was the best shot of career and it was off of a rolling puck. He has not shown any ability to do this consistently with a flat puck, much less a rolling puck, i.e. he got lucky and accidentally put it in the top corner.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Those early pages compared to today are a funny read.
We have seen this on many players and prospects, just to learn they were busts.

I don't think he can't be a great player, but he has to work on his game.
Obviously at this point he is far behind Seider and Raymond, but they seem like franchise even generation players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad