At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It was written like a fan who just got a thesaurus for Christmas.
Go back and read it.
It's ridiculous. You'd think we drafted Patrick Kane.
So much for "evidence."

1. He's not a Red Wings fan, he analyses and assesses prospects.
2. It's subjective, but he uses video evidence to try and support his well-argued opinions.
3. I see nothing wrong with his article.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
2. It's subjective, but he uses video evidence to try and support his well-argued opinions.
Kind of funny, but last year I used video evidence of Zadina to support my argument that he wasn't playing as well as the stats showed. I was called "petty" for "cherry-picking" certain plays.

Also, his article states "Scoring goals is Zadina's game. While he didn't do much of it last season (16 goals), every other year, Zadina's filled the net."
"Every other year" includes 44 the prior and 1 the year before that. So there is SOMETHING wrong with the article

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Kind of funny, but last year I used video evidence of Zadina to support my argument that he wasn't playing as well as the stats showed. I was called "petty" for "cherry-picking" certain plays.

Also, his article states "Scoring goals is Zadina's game. While he didn't do much of it last season (16 goals), every other year, Zadina's filled the net."
"Every other year" includes 44 the prior and 1 the year before that. So there is SOMETHING wrong with the article

Strange interpretation. "Because I WAS scrutinized for my video reviews, I will scrutinize THESE video reviews."

Those two quotes are objectively accurate? Going back to 2014, scoring has been the key component to Zadina's overall game and this is true of the earliest scouting reports pertaining to him. It's also true he didn't score a lot last year.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with this article.

Reactions: mantha39

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I'm sorry, are you isolating the 25 games he played for a Czech men's team during his 16/17 year old season and using that as your proof? Try looking at his full regular season stats and where he played to add context. He's played underage, some times as a double or triple underager, in pretty much every situation besides for being in the Q in his draft year. He has scored goals at a pretty decent clip at every stage where he wasn't drastically underaged until this year in the AHL, and even then I could argue he was underaged.

2016-17 (16/17 years old):
Men's: 1 in 25
U20: 10 in 25
U18: 23 in 27

2017-18 (17/18 years old):

Q: 44 in 57
U20: 16 in 22
Men's: 1 in 5

There's nothing wrong with the way the article frames Zadina's performance, but there is an obvious issue with how you like to partially frame your "facts".

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
All I know was I have personally been hoping for a little more from Zadina. But this is why you do not assume things when it comes to prospects. No one is garaunteed to be an NHL player. This is why i very much take everything said about prospects with a grain of salt. Hopefully Zadina does well this year in GR. I can tell by watching him, he is not NHL ready now.

Reactions: LazyT

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
From what I've seen during the NHL pre-season games, he doesn't look NHL ready. He's not confident with the puck, he doesn't look for teamates and it looks like he has some work to do in Grand Rapids. Good thing that Grand Rapids looks to be stacked and should give him a confidence boost.

I haven't given up on him yet, Mantha played 2 years in GR and AA played parts of two years, too.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I have been very disappointed with him this preseason and I am one of his bigger supporters.

He looks slow, weak and his head is always down. There’s a lot of talent there but it’s obviously going to take more time than we would’ve hoped.

Reactions: LazyT and Lil Bert

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Just because he's not a Wings fan doesn't mean he has some kind of agenda.
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of this guy's scouting reports downgrade well known players?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Not worried yet, but definitely wanted to see more by now. We're so used to the absurdly slow development path that is just the norm for Red Wings prospects, but I think we were all hoping that Zadina might be on a faster track. Ah well.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I think he's right on track to be honest. Prospects' developmental curve tend to be so all over the place that they are essentially random. I have liked his overall game and effort level, he's at the point where his next step is in his decision making in the offensive zone. I would like him to be a little more confident in himself, he has a deadly release but he isn't trusting it. These things take time. He looks light years better than Mantha at this stage so all is not lost.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pronman: Re-ranking the NHL Draft Class of 2018

Zadina 10th in Pronman's 2018 draft re-draft.

Slipping a bit, but not too harsh.

Top4 like it was.

5. Quinn Hughes - VAN
6. Barret Hayton - ARI
7. Grigori Denisenko - FLO
------------------------ talent drop
8. Noah Dobsom - NYI
9. Vitali Kravtsov - NYR
10. Filip Zadina - DET
11. Adam Boqvist - CHI
12. Evan Bouchard - EDM
13. Joel Farabee - PHI

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Top4 like it was.

5. Quinn Hughes - VAN
6. Barret Hayton - ARI
8. Noah Dobsom - NYI
9. Vitali Kravtsov - NYR
10. Filip Zadina - DET
11. Adam Boqvist - CHI
12. Evan Bouchard - EDM
13. Joel Farabee - PHI

And for those interested about Veleno, he dropped from #11 to #22.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I don't see the game breaking talent in Zadina that people are projecting. Watching him in the preseason and prospect tournament have left me disappointed. Unless he has a lot of underlying skills that will take a few years to kick in, I don't like what I see. His biggest strength is supposed to be his shot but he consistently shoots right into the goalies stomach. Positioning is terrible and hockey IQ is uninspiring. Even watching highlight reels are boring. IDK how that happens.
Hopefully he turns out to be elite of course but I'm not seeing it

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Just because he's not a Wings fan doesn't mean he has some kind of agenda.
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of this guy's scouting reports downgrade well known players?

Notice how you bring up a point('sounds like a fan') to illicit an innocuous response('he's not a fan'), only to frame it as if the innocuous response was central to the other posters argument as you refute it?

That's what people mean by "strawman argument".

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Notice how you bring up a point('sounds like a fan') to illicit an innocuous response('he's not a fan'), only to frame it as if the innocuous response was central to the other posters argument as you refute it?

That's what people mean by "strawman argument".

Writer who pander to sports fans ... or to the athletes/coaches/GMs they cover... often write like fans even if they aren't necessarily fans... they do so for their own reasons.

There's nothing strawman about it.

Read the article. It reads like it was written by a slappy.

It's absolutely absurd given what we've watched over the last 13-14 months.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Top4 like it was.

5. Quinn Hughes - VAN
6. Barret Hayton - ARI
8. Noah Dobsom - NYI
9. Vitali Kravtsov - NYR
10. Filip Zadina - DET
11. Adam Boqvist - CHI
12. Evan Bouchard - EDM
13. Joel Farabee - PHI

I could not take Zadina ahead of Boqvist or Bouchard at the moment.
Boqvist looks terrific every time I check in on him. Bouchard is coming along nicely.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's 19 and isn't NHL ready yet. I'd be worried if he was 23/24. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

It's okay for the kids to develop.
High expectation because he was 6OA and projected to go even earlier.

I said all summer that he was headed to GR this season and got flamed on every post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad