At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
His situation similar with Keith Primeau,who was drafted by bad red wings team 3rd in 1990.That year Keith spend most of the season with red wings and some with AHL.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
NHL to determine if Red Wings' Filip Zadina AHL-eligible in 2018-

By Ansar Khan
[email protected]
Where will Filip Zadina play in 2018-19?
The Red Wings hope it will be in Detroit, and it will be their decision if he does.
But if the Red Wings determine after training camp, the preseason and possibly the first few weeks of the regular season that the sixth overall pick in this year's draft isn't NHL-ready at age 18, will he be sent back to Halifax, his junior team? Or is he eligible to play for the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins this season?
That will be determined by the NHL, possibly in the next couple of weeks, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said on Friday.

Ordinarily, players with junior eligibility who don't make the NHL roster must return to their junior clubs and can't play in the AHL until their CHL team's season ends.

Zadina played two seasons for Pardubice HC in the Czech League before joining Halifax in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League last season, when he tallied 44 goals and 82 points in 57 games.
If the NHL determines Zadina to be a European player on loan to the CHL club, then he will be able to play in Grand Rapids in 2018-19, if the Red Wings opt to send him there.
If it is ruled that Zadina is a CHL player, then he must return to Halifax if the Red Wings don't keep him on their roster.

The Red Wings prefer the option of sending Zadina to Grand Rapids. That way, they can recall him at any time. He'll also be playing against better competition that will better prepare him for the NHL.
The Red Wings will sign Zadina to a three-year entry-level contract before training camp.

Zadina displayed his tremendous offensive skills during last week's development camp at Little Caesars Arena. He scored the overtime goal in Saturday's scrimmage on a pass from Michael Rasmussen, the team's 2017 top pick who also will be competing for a roster spot.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
NHL to determine if Red Wings' Filip Zadina AHL-eligible in 2018-

By Ansar Khan
[email protected]
Where will Filip Zadina play in 2018-19?
The Red Wings hope it will be in Detroit, and it will be their decision if he does.
But if the Red Wings determine after training camp, the preseason and possibly the first few weeks of the regular season that the sixth overall pick in this year's draft isn't NHL-ready at age 18, will he be sent back to Halifax, his junior team? Or is he eligible to play for the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins this season?
That will be determined by the NHL, possibly in the next couple of weeks, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said on Friday.

Ordinarily, players with junior eligibility who don't make the NHL roster must return to their junior clubs and can't play in the AHL until their CHL team's season ends.

Zadina played two seasons for Pardubice HC in the Czech League before joining Halifax in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League last season, when he tallied 44 goals and 82 points in 57 games.
If the NHL determines Zadina to be a European player on loan to the CHL club, then he will be able to play in Grand Rapids in 2018-19, if the Red Wings opt to send him there.
If it is ruled that Zadina is a CHL player, then he must return to Halifax if the Red Wings don't keep him on their roster.

The Red Wings prefer the option of sending Zadina to Grand Rapids. That way, they can recall him at any time. He'll also be playing against better competition that will better prepare him for the NHL.
The Red Wings will sign Zadina to a three-year entry-level contract before training camp.

Zadina displayed his tremendous offensive skills during last week's development camp at Little Caesars Arena. He scored the overtime goal in Saturday's scrimmage on a pass from Michael Rasmussen, the team's 2017 top pick who also will be competing for a roster spot.
It sounds like Halifax is going to push hard to ensure that he's deemed a CHL player, which makes sense since he was one of their best players.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It sounds like Halifax is going to push hard to ensure that he's deemed a CHL player, which makes sense since he was one of their best players.

They should, especially as a Memorial Cup host.

But honestly the Wings can cut that at the ankles with a phone call if they feel like it. Hey if he doesn't make Detroit he is going to sign in the Czech Republic and spend the year with a club over there. If you want him to play against men next year regardless he has options in Europe. Heck call Fedorov at CSKA and see if he wants a stud for a year....

If we don't want him in the CHL, don't put him there regardless.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They should, especially as a Memorial Cup host.

But honestly the Wings can cut that at the ankles with a phone call if they feel like it. Hey if he doesn't make Detroit he is going to sign in the Czech Republic and spend the year with a club over there. If you want him to play against men next year regardless he has options in Europe. Heck call Fedorov at CSKA and see if he wants a stud for a year....

If we don't want him in the CHL, don't put him there regardless.
The only way that would work if he has to report to the CHL and if he isn't on loan would be him going to Russia, as the Czech republic does have a transfer agreement they would have to abide by. That would likely open a huge can of worms though as it the NHL would likely penalize Detroit for trying to circumvent transfer agreements.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The only way that would work if he has to report to the CHL and if he isn't on loan would be him going to Russia, as the Czech republic does have a transfer agreement they would have to abide by. That would likely open a huge can of worms though as it the NHL would likely penalize Detroit for trying to circumvent transfer agreements.

I doubt it, those agreements don't have a ton of power and a big reason for it is the bully that is the NHL.

Quite frankly the NHL should examine this when they review the case, do they really care to watch where this might spiral if they don't rule him valid for the AHL with lots of pro experience.

It will be interesting. I really hate the CHL agreement so this is an interesting moment for me. I understand why it exists, don't get me wrong. But I also wouldn't mind one bit as a primarily NHL and Team USA hockey guy if the league went after this to make more guys AHL eligible. We have two prospects right now that don't really gain a single thing by going back to the CHL, it's pretty silly if one of them winds up there really.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I doubt it, those agreements don't have a ton of power and a big reason for it is the bully that is the NHL.

Quite frankly the NHL should examine this when they review the case, do they really care to watch where this might spiral if they don't rule him valid for the AHL with lots of pro experience.

It will be interesting. I really hate the CHL agreement so this is an interesting moment for me. I understand why it exists, don't get me wrong. But I also wouldn't mind one bit as a primarily NHL and Team USA hockey guy if the league went after this to make more guys AHL eligible. We have two prospects right now that don't really gain a single thing by going back to the CHL, it's pretty silly if one of them winds up there really.
I dislike the CHL transfer agreement too. Its amazing how sweetheart it is for them, but its a hairy situation because its one that isn't well defined and right now the NHL values its relationship with the CHL more than with European leagues.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dislike the CHL transfer agreement too. Its amazing how sweetheart it is for them, but its a hairy situation because its one that isn't well defined and right now the NHL values its relationship with the CHL more than with European leagues.

The NHL now owns over 50% of the AHL. They are the controlling interest at that level now as well. I think this is only a matter of time deal, in terms of eventually there will be players that get special exemption to move to the AHL as 19 year olds.

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
Almost seems like the winds of change are a-blowin' with regard to the CHL transfer agreement. The CHL is still producing the most prospects; but with the recent surge of the USNTDP, the growing efficacy of Euro development leagues, and more high level prospects like Alex Newhook opting for the USHL/BCHL route to preserve NCAA eligibility, the CHL might be seeing it's leverage slipping away sooner rather than later.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Almost seems like the winds of change are a-blowin' with regard to the CHL transfer agreement. The CHL is still producing the most prospects; but with the recent surge of the USNTDP, the growing efficacy of Euro development leagues, and more high level prospects like Alex Newhook opting for the USHL/BCHL route to preserve NCAA eligibility, the CHL might be seeing it's leverage slipping away sooner rather than later.

I think the NHL is trying to encourage them towards this thought process too. They really push draft eligible players in terms of their weekly CHL game. They are signaling almost to the CHL that this is your meal ticket moving forward. I guess time will tell, but you can feel a shift happening here in my opinion.

I also think we are going to see a shift in some of the AHL locations coming over the next decade. Clubs are going to move their affiliates closer to them in my opinion.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm not sure the NHL could penalize Detroit for sending kids to a league that doesn't have a transfer agreement. These guys are indentured servants, they are allowed to pursue other avenues of employment where they can. If that means going to Russia, well, the NHL should have worked harder to have a transfer agreement in place with them.

Maybe we could find a way to put him and Rasmussen on the same club over there.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Apparently it was. Good rush to judgement there, Cyborg Yzerman.

Well, someone's being an idiot again, anyways.
Well, I was wrong, but with the info we had it seemed he was not loaned, since he was selected in the import draft.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well, I was wrong, but with the info we had it seemed he was not loaned, since he was selected in the import draft.

It was the info you chose to believe. Zadina, the wings, HSJ all said he was loaned, so did eliteprospects. Instead the Halifax GM said they wanted him back and people used it as an excuse to call the wings/HSJ bush league basically. The import draft doesnt have any impact on if he was loaned or not, he was playing pro for a couple years before that

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was the info you chose to believe. Zadina, the wings, HSJ all said he was loaned, so did eliteprospects. Instead the Halifax GM said they wanted him back and people used it as an excuse to call the wings/HSJ bush league basically. The import draft doesnt have any impact on if he was loaned or not, he was playing pro for a couple years before that

It's like a religion here nowadays. Nega-nancies flaming how every decision Detroit makes must be THE BAD ONE for us.

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's like a religion here nowadays. Nega-nancies flaming how every decision Detroit makes must be THE BAD ONE for us.

Yep it was actually hilarious reading everyone taking the Halifax GM's word for gospel over the wings/Zadinas. "That guy must be right, his name isnt Ken Holland!!!"

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Zadina ended up AHL eligible, which is good. But let's get off the high horse about doubting the impeccable reporting of HSJ and the other franchise PR regurgitators. It's not like media in this town has a track record for thrusting the truth into the public square, no matter how brutal it might be, or how much hard hitting journalism it might demand.

The newest kid will get lots of playing time as a Griffin. Cool. And the world keeps turning.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yep it was actually hilarious reading everyone taking the Halifax GM's word for gospel over the wings/Zadinas. "That guy must be right, his name isnt Ken Holland!!!"

It wasn't just his word, it was retweeted by multiple reliable sources that he wasn't on loan. It was murky enough that HSJ and Khan both said that the organization was unsure about his status and needed a few days to get clarification. Now, HSJ ended up being right, but, it wasn't because she was right, it was because she was lucky. And that's not good journalism.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

maybe climb off your soapbox there?

HSJ literally ended up retracting the original statement after the Halifax thing came out to say that he would play in the NHL or juniors next season

Filip Zadina will be with Detroit Red Wings or in juniors next season

clearly people on this forum weren't the only ones taking those words seriously

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
HSJ just proved, that she "knows" nothing. She is not any kind of insider.

She just reports messages from other people. Just a basic reporter, what reporter is.

Don't shoot the messenger, though.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I just read the article from Khan which included a picture of Zadina (I assume from the prospect game).

I hope he doesn't wind up with number 24. That number still has special meaning. Any other number, please.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I just read the article from Khan which included a picture of Zadina (I assume from the prospect game).

I hope he doesn't wind up with number 24. That number still has special meaning. Any other number, please.
He's probably going to wear 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad