At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015

The NHL, according to a source, received a document that was signed before the import draft setting out the terms of his agreement with Halifax — and states that it was only for the 2017-18 season. Before the import draft, Zadina had agreed with his Czech team that it would loan him for one year only to a North American junior league. The NHL also was provided a copy of the contract he signed in 2016 with the Czech team.

Does this sound kind of shady to anyone other than me? They had a signed agreement to send him to Halifax before he was drafted by them. What's the point of having a draft if it's already decided where he's going before he has even been drafted? Or is this just worded weirdly and the agreement was with the CHL and not the team?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Does this sound kind of shady to anyone other than me? They had a signed agreement to send him to Halifax before he was drafted by them. What's the point of having a draft if it's already decided where he's going before he has even been drafted? Or is this just worded weirdly and the agreement was with the CHL and not the team?

I think it sounds like he had a contract with his Czech team that to play in NA, he could only be loaned to a NA junior team regardless of who that junior team was. My guess is that teams were either made aware of it before the draft, or Halifax was informed after they drafted him. He was allowed to then come to NA by his Czech team but only under the terms of the contract he had with his Czech team.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
That's exactly how the CHL import draft works though. Halifax is a great organization, Zadina wanted to get selected by them so he probably told the other teams he would not report. Thus falls to the 11th or something pick.
The draft somewhat works for lesser known prospects who openly say they want to play overseas. But elite players like Zadina or Hischier can pretty much choose the team themselves.

Reactions: MBauer and newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah I think its worded weid but youre right. Any big name imports have already decided where theyre going to play if they come over. The CHL lets this happen because I think they would rather get the talent into the league than not.

But ya a guy like Zadina doesnt come over and risk being drafted to a team like Sarnia or Sudbury. He knows what team hes going to or he doesnt leave a pro league

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

The agreement specified that he would only be loaned to a North American Junior team. It did not specify which team he would be loaned to. At least that is what it sounds like to me

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI

6:11 - i've watched this play over and over

the rate at which this male strips the puck and chips it up through a defender onto his teammate's stick makes it hard for me to sleep at night. not sure how consistent his defensive game is, but this is an unreal play. instincts and awareness are there.

i needed to express this to you all

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

CHL teams routinely talk to import players before drafting them in the import draft. No sense in wasting a pick on a player only to find out he has no intention of coming over and playing for you. Some teams end up drafting an import player anyway, hoping to be able to ultimately convince them to come, but more than likely, it is known before they are drafted whether they would come our not.

Reactions: Sparty and Oddbob

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Mantha is likely to eclipse that this year and I doubt Zadina is there that fast. At least in my opinion I think a healthy Anthony Mantha is about to hit that number.

I don’t know if he’s likely to increase his output by 25% but I would be thrilled if that were the case. Still have my money on Zadina cracking it first. Will be fun to watch these 2 guys in their primes.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t know if he’s likely to increase his output by 25% but I would be thrilled if that were the case. Still have my money on Zadina cracking it first. Will be fun to watch these 2 guys in their primes.
You use the term 25% to make it sound like its a really difficult thing to do but in reality it only an increase of 6 goals for a guy entering his 2nd full season of NHL hockey that will be playing on what should be an improved powerplay.

If he stays healthy I expect Mantha to get there this year.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
You use the term 25% to make it sound like its a really difficult thing to do but in reality it only an increase of 6 goals for a guy entering his 2nd full season of NHL hockey that will be playing on what should be an improved powerplay.

How is our power play gonna improve? We don't have any additions to the roster. We do have 1 new assistant coach. But the pieces are the same. With all the weaknesses of last year (lack of puck moving d), 1 rising playmaking center but 1 regressing as well (larkin and z respectively). At best we are looking at 10th worst pp but more than likely around the same (which was what 7th worst) so to account for variance somewhere between 4th worst to 10th worst statistically.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How is our power play gonna improve? We don't have any additions to the roster. We do have 1 new assistant coach. But the pieces are the same. With all the weaknesses of last year (lack of puck moving d), 1 rising playmaking center but 1 regressing as well (larkin and z respectively). At best we are looking at 10th worst pp but more than likely around the same (which was what 7th worst) so to account for variance somewhere between 4th worst to 10th worst statistically.

Well that coach was brought in specifically to help the PP and has run successful NHL powerplays often in the past. And yes the pieces are somewhat the same, except adding Vanek who is actually a good PP guy. Add Vanek, have guys like Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi a year older/better etc.

If the wings scored 6 more PP goals on the same amount of opportunities as last year, they would jump up to 17th in the league. I think adding Vanek, Bylsma, Rasmussen and potentially Zadina could add 6 more goals. They also had the fourth least opportunities on the PP last season. I think adding Rasmussen and Zadinas speed to the lineup could likely add to the total powerplays as well.

I typed all that and forgot to mention that Hronek will likely be manning the 2nd power play unit as well instead of Kronwall/Dekeyser. Even if Hronek isnt great defnesively or a top 4 guy next year, he will be our second best PP option. So likely, the powerplay has added 3 or 4 new players plus a coach running a PP that has been successful in the past. I would say thats a pretty big change when coupled with all the other young guys getting a year older

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011

Well it is a significant jump, its optimistic thinking to say its likely. He's scored at a 24/82 pace over his 150 game career. He shot a respectable 12.6% over his career, its not like he's an unlucky shooter waiting to break out. If he gets a bump up from 18 minutes a game and stays healthy I do think its a realistic possibility he scores 30. He has a decent chance but I still think Zadina is our first 30 goal scorer in the last decade.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Well he looked great in camp. He definitely has promise. I always like to take a pessimistic approach towards prospects in general.

I realize I do not fit in at HFBoards
LOL

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well it is a significant jump, its optimistic thinking to say its likely. He's scored at a 24/82 pace over his 150 game career. He shot a respectable 12.6% over his career, its not like he's an unlucky shooter waiting to break out. If he gets a bump up from 18 minutes a game and stays healthy I do think its a realistic possibility he scores 30. He has a decent chance but I still think Zadina is our first 30 goal scorer in the last decade.
Second year full time pro coming up I think youll see his minutes jump quite a bit as well. I could see him playing 20 mins a game this season, some more PP time as well. I dont think 30 is a guarantee by any means, but I think his goal scoring is going to increase this upcoming season. If you go up much more from 24, youre pretty damn close to 30

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Well he looked great in camp. He definitely has promise. I always like to take a pessimistic approach towards prospects in general.

I realize I do not fit in at HFBoards
LOL

I just think he’s the best chance at our next 30 goal campaign, Mantha being a close second. I actually think AA would have a decent shot as well with another 4-5 mins a game.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Second year full time pro coming up I think youll see his minutes jump quite a bit as well. I could see him playing 20 mins a game this season, some more PP time as well. I dont think 30 is a guarantee by any means, but I think his goal scoring is going to increase this upcoming season. If you go up much more from 24, youre pretty damn close to 30

I don’t disagree and I hope you’re right. Time will tell if he can pop another half dozen. I bring up the decade because we mostly crave a blue chip D-man(I do too) but we haven’t had an elite scorer in a long time, I believe Zadina can be that player.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t disagree and I hope you’re right. Time will tell if he can pop another half dozen. I bring up the decade because we mostly crave a blue chip D-man(I do too) but we haven’t had an elite scorer in a long time, I believe Zadina can be that player.

Do you think he could hit 30 next year?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

With a little consistency, Mantha is a 30 goal scorer. He was absolutely incredible last year in October and November, and then for whatever reason he stopped producing. He's similar to Tatar in the sense that when things are going well, he's filling the net, but when things aren't, he goes on long stretches without producing. Great goal scorers find ways to score when things aren't going well. We will find out soon if Mantha is a good goal scorer, or a great goal scorer.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Do you think he could hit 30 next year?

I don’t think we have a 30 goal scorer next year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them start Zadina in the AHL. I think Mantha is our best chance and it’s unlikely that he does, hope I’m proved wrong.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
As a moosehead/wings fan I am really happy he fell to 6 for us. He is a very entertaining to player to watch, especially offensively. Just seems to have a knack on to attack the net consistently, knows how to penetrate. In terms of favourite prospect to come through halifax I would rank him above anyone but Drouin and Mackinnon (Drouin never seemed to translate but was insanely skilled in juniors). I think he had a better draft year than Ehlers, Meier and 1st OA Hischier. Going to be a great player for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad