At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Zadina ended up AHL eligible, which is good. But let's get off the high horse about doubting the impeccable reporting of HSJ and the other franchise PR regurgitators. It's not like media in this town has a track record for thrusting the truth into the public square, no matter how brutal it might be, or how much hard hitting journalism it might demand.

The newest kid will get lots of playing time as a Griffin. Cool. And the world keeps turning.

Not on a high horse, just think its hilarious how quick the red wing bashing circle jerk started. The Hlaifax GM never even outright said that he would have to come back to junior, just that he wants him back. It was pretty easy to see that the situation wasnt resolved yet and a bunch of people thought it was a good time to jump to conclusions on the word of the Halifax GM vs that of the red wings and Zadina himself.

It wasn't just his word, it was retweeted by multiple reliable sources that he wasn't on loan. It was murky enough that HSJ and Khan both said that the organization was unsure about his status and needed a few days to get clarification. Now, HSJ ended up being right, but, it wasn't because she was right, it was because she was lucky. And that's not good journalism.

And yet I am yet to see one tweet that he wasnt on loan, care to point me in that direction? The Halifax GM never even came out and said that he wasnt on loan. It wasnt because she was lucky, it was because she said what the wings and Zadina had both told her and she reported it. If people werent busy trashing the wings they couldve thought about it logically and maybe held off on calling people idiots and everything else they were saying, and they wouldnt have egg on their face now.

maybe climb off your soapbox there?

HSJ literally ended up retracting the original statement after the Halifax thing came out to say that he would play in the NHL or juniors next season

Filip Zadina will be with Detroit Red Wings or in juniors next season

clearly people on this forum weren't the only ones taking those words seriously

Not on a soapbox. I said from the get go that everyone needs to relax and see how this situation played out. I also said it was likely he was on loan given the information we had but I would wait until I said for sure. Instead everyone has to go crazy about how dumb management is and make themselves look bad in the process

Reactions: Henkka

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"Given the information we had"

We had HSJ, the RWs, and Zadina's word. The fact is, you can say it was on elite prospects, but it wasn't. You can say that you weren't sure if it was or not, but I am as I checked multiple times between when Eliot said it and before they actually updated it.

The information we had was conflicting, therefore the opinions we had were conflicting.

Reactions: jkutswings

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Now Halifax is saying he was not loaned from Pardubice, so he has to go back to Halifax if he doesn't make the Wings. Cam Russell being the Halifax GM.

This is EXACTLY... like EXACTLY, what happened last year with Hischier. Though we never got to find out who was right because of course Hischier went #1 and stuck with the Devils.

It will be interesting to see what happens here. Like last year, there has been a lot of speculation over who knows what, who's right, etc.

As a Moose fan - Mem Cup Year or not - I would hope this wouldnt be a hill they would die on to try and force teh Wings to return him here, because that will hurt us in the end. We have had great recent success with imports (Meier, Ehlers, Hishcier, Zadina), and I would hate for them to screw that up by causing problems. If indeed he is "on loan" they should let him play where he wants, take their lumps and move on.

Anyways, don't be surprised if you haven't heard the last of this issue. If all goes well, like Hischier, it will be a moot point.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
"Given the information we had"

We had HSJ, the RWs, and Zadina's word. The fact is, you can say it was on elite prospects, but it wasn't. You can say that you weren't sure if it was or not, but I am as I checked multiple times between when Eliot said it and before they actually updated it.

The information we had was conflicting, therefore the opinions we had were conflicting.

Lol ok bud...

We had the wings, HSJ and Zadinas word saying he was loaned. Other people decided that the Halifax GM saying we want him back in Halifax (not even mentioning if he was actually loaned or not) and decided to run with it and bash people who ended up being right in the first place. It was on eliteprospects before the NHL came out with their ruling, which I know for sure, not sure if it was different a week before that though.

The information we had should've had people saying "Ok I'll wait and see what happens here", instead we had plenty of shit being thrown around at people who were right in the end.

If you had a strong opinion on weak information (which you did if you were bashing HSJ and the wings), sit back and eat your crow. This website has become hard to even read anymore (except for maybe a week after the draft) and its because people love piling onto the shit. This is an example of it, so eat your crow and maybe next time dont be so reactionary when you dont have good enough information to go off of.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
They need to retire #11, red wings fans have so much hate toward this number

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
how many different people is she supposed to run some of this stuff by? The Wings front office was saying he could go to GR, Zadina himself was saying he could go to GR, and his former Euro club chimed in and said he was on loan.

She should've flew to Halifax and had a sit down interview with their GM before reporting anything on the situation

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
She could read the transfer agreement before just blindly following like a stooge. Would take what 30 mins or so to decode the legalise of it to fact check? I know at one time journalists actually had to independantly check things out before making proclamations.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
BTW:

Details on Filip Zadina’s contract and why Red Wings...

According to multiple sources, in doing this contract, the Red Wings got clarity from the NHL as to whether Zadina would have to go back to Halifax in the QMJHL if he doesn’t make the NHL this season. The Red Wings’ and Zadina camp’s stance is that he was on loan from his Czech team to Halifax, which would allow Detroit to send him to the AHL next season rather than back to the QMJHL.

The NHL, according to a source, received a document that was signed before the import draft setting out the terms of his agreement with Halifax — and states that it was only for the 2017-18 season. Before the import draft, Zadina had agreed with his Czech team that it would loan him for one year only to a North American junior league. The NHL also was provided a copy of the contract he signed in 2016 with the Czech team.

While this is a bit of a gray area, the NHL indicated that it was enough evidence to confirm the Red Wings’ belief that the AHL was an option for the 2018-19 season.

“He was on loan last year from his Czech team,” explained one NHL source. “If you draft a player from the CHL, you’re obligated to return him. If he’s on loan, you’re technically drafting him from the European team.”

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
She could read the transfer agreement before just blindly following like a stooge. Would take what 30 mins or so to decode the legalise of it to fact check? I know at one time journalists actually had to independantly check things out before making proclamations.
Dude, it's sports journalism.

If you think checking with 2 sources directly involved in the situation isn't enough....I've got some bad news for you regarding every article you've ever read.

....and really this has nothing to do with sports journalism....I've got bad news for just about every article in general

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

And what would that do if the confusion is on whether he was lent or not? Reading the transfer agreement would tell you "yep, if he was lent that's how it is handled". The transfer agreement would not say "Filip Zadina was lent to the Halifax Mooseheads."

Reactions: newfy

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Interesting take (albeit by ESPN) on who Zadina compares to :

The Forsberg comparison is the one that stuck with me the most. The skill level that Zadina possesses is one thing, but the confidence he has on the puck is where I see the most striking similarities. He isn't afraid to try things, and he believes he's going to beat the defender every time out. He also protects the puck very similarly to Forsberg. I think both stylistically and impact-wise, Zadina is going to trend very similarly to the Nashville Predators winger.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Interesting take (albeit by ESPN) on who Zadina compares to :

The Forsberg comparison is the one that stuck with me the most. The skill level that Zadina possesses is one thing, but the confidence he has on the puck is where I see the most striking similarities. He isn't afraid to try things, and he believes he's going to beat the defender every time out. He also protects the puck very similarly to Forsberg. I think both stylistically and impact-wise, Zadina is going to trend very similarly to the Nashville Predators winger.

Lol not to be mistaken for Peter Forsberg who I thought was an odd comparison given they play a different position at a different size.

Even after reading “the Nashville Predator winger” my first thought was “Jeeze only ESPN would identify Forsberg as a Predator let alone a winger.”

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

She could read it and it would say, yep if they were on loan to a CHL team and then drafted they can skip out on going back to junior. Then the wings staff and Zadina himself say hes on loan. BUT Halifax's GM said they want the CHLs best player in a mem cup year so better not write anything at all even though Holland told me this.

I wonder what she should've written given all the information provided?? Eat your crow, she reported nothing wrong and went about her business perfectly fine

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wonder what she should've written given all the information provided?? Eat your crow, she reported nothing wrong and went about her business perfectly fine

Good reporter would have done like this:

Red Wngs inform Zadina could go to AHL.

"Oh, that's weird."

-Report that and then ask some questions, because this is abnormal. Usually players drafted from juniors go back to juniors. There was no questions.

If she would have made this questions, and they would have answered that they have a document which kinds of proves Zadina being European drafted, the whole case would have been closed.

But now, because a bad reporter doesn't have any knowledge for this kind of things, it was just information flying against information and reporting. No questions, why is this not like normal?

Stupid reporter didn't understand what is wrong in this case, so she couldn't even know what to ask.

Reactions: odin1981

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Gotta feel for the coyotes fan that thought they were getting him but meh guess this kinda evens out them getting chychrun.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Gotta feel for the coyotes fan that thought they were getting him but meh guess this kinda evens out them getting chychrun.
Really curious to see how that Hayton pick works out.

He becomes a legit top 6 center and it's a fantastic pick. Bottom 6 and it's going to hurt Chaykas reputation pretty hard I think.

Also think that pick shows they aren't confident in Strome at center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad