At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
They are talking about it again on the Scrimmage stream. I see him being in GR for a part of the season unless he comes out of the gate flying

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They are talking about it again on the Scrimmage stream. I see him being in GR for a part of the season unless he comes out of the gate flying
Yea I just said in the dev camp thread, simply being European is wrong. If he was loaned, yea he can

I like his odds less now if can go to GR

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Interesting thing about going the AHL route, I assume he would still burn a year of his ELC. I feel like a prospect of his skill shouldn't be burning a year of his ELC in Grand Rapids. I would almost rather the NHL-CHL set up than him wasting a year.

Reactions: FunkyColdZadina

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
more like unfortunate loophole. For me it just allows the wings to pass the buck and say well he can work a bit on things in the ahl vs just bringing him up and letting him learn in the big leagues.

Best for him would be 1 year in easier pro league (GR).

Worst would be another year in juniors.

And straight to NHL possibly too tough.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting thing about going the AHL route, I assume he would still burn a year of his ELC. I feel like a prospect of his skill shouldn't be burning a year of his ELC in Grand Rapids. I would almost rather the NHL-CHL set up than him wasting a year.

No he won't burn. Tatar was 5 years on same ELC (at Griffins), from 18-year-old to 22.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Personally I want him in the NHL as I think he is ready. If he's not I'd much prefer him in the AHL then back in Halifax so this is good news. If he doesn't make the roster he can learn the pro game in the AHL, and come up midseason/next year ready for the big time. I'm not worried about the ELC sliding. He'll be getting paid well by the time we're competitive regardless.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
as long as zadina gets a great opportunity during the preseason (he will)) and then a 9 game tryout with the wings (he might), i'll be content with him going to GR as long as he doesn't look like he is ready.

If they send him to GR without giving him 9 games ill be a bit upset

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
more like unfortunate loophole. For me it just allows the wings to pass the buck and say well he can work a bit on things in the ahl vs just bringing him up and letting him learn in the big leagues.
Let's see how he looks in training camp before jumping to conclusions. He may be in that "too good for juniors, not good enough for NHL" middle ground and then GR would be a great route. And there's nothing saying that if he has a great first 10-20 games in GR he couldn't come up and play 50+ NHL games. The more options the Wings have for his development, the better. Feeling like you're forced to rush a prospect to the NHL to avoid him stagnating in juniors is the worst case.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah except he was a 6th overall pick not a first overall, that has never played against men. Theres a possibility that 20 games in the AHL could help him get ready instead of being eaten up by nhlers if he isnt ready. He probalby wont need it, and the wings havent been overripening guys for a while now so chill a bit

Only you could spin an extra option for his development into a negative.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah except he was a 6th overall pick not a first overall, that has never played against men. Theres a possibility that 20 games in the AHL could help him get ready instead of being eaten up by nhlers if he isnt ready. He probalby wont need it, and the wings havent been overripening guys for a while now so chill a bit

Only you could spin an extra option for his development into a negative.
While I agree having the AHL as an option is a good thing. He played against men in the Czech Republic before coming overseas. He didn't get enough playing time in the pro league which is why he wanted to play in Halifax.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I might actually tune in to as many grififns game as possible this season. Last season was such a bore with 95% of the team being AHL vets or low tier prospects. I want Zadina on the wings, but him playing in GR is also a good option.

Reactions: Henkka

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I might actually tune in to as many grififns game as possible this season. Last season was such a bore with 95% of the team being AHL vets or low tier prospects. I want Zadina on the wings, but him playing in GR is also a good option.

Is he old enough to play for the Griffins? I thought it was NHL or back to the Q.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
While I agree having the AHL as an option is a good thing. He played against men in the Czech Republic before coming overseas. He didn't get enough playing time in the pro league which is why he wanted to play in Halifax.

Do you think one year in Halifax is enough to make the difference of not being able to play against the Czech mens league (probably the 10th or so best pro league in the world), compared to playing in the NHL? I tihnk he will be in the NHL, but I'm not sure one year in Halifax is enough to make him completely pro ready.

Is he old enough to play for the Griffins? I thought it was NHL or back to the Q.

St James has been syaing he got loaned from his Czech team to Halifax, so he basically got drafted out of that Czech league in a round about way and can now go to the AHL instead of the Q

Reactions: Heaton

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
So apparently Zadina can play in Grand Rapids next season

Not a bad option, I know the leafs did that with Nylander and benefited his development. Could help him adapt to playing with men and ease himself to professional hockey. However, I do hope he makes the big club..

Reactions: Winger98 and Heaton

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Do you think one year in Halifax is enough to make the difference of not being able to play against the Czech mens league (probably the 10th or so best pro league in the world), compared to playing in the NHL? I tihnk he will be in the NHL, but I'm not sure one year in Halifax is enough to make him completely pro ready.

St James has been syaing he got loaned from his Czech team to Halifax, so he basically got drafted out of that Czech league in a round about way and can now go to the AHL instead of the Q

First I've seen some Czech games live and it's surprisingly good hockey. Very fast, physical, tight checking and rough. Seems like a tough environment for skill to shine through as the refs let a lot go. Beyond that I think he probably was good enough to get more minutes in the Czech league, but never got much chance. They're pretty stingey about young kids getting playtime at the top level. Hronek was playing 3 minutes per game before being one of the best defenseman in the CHL. I can't find Zadina's toi stats, but I'm pretty confident he was in a similar spot.

At this age one year of development makes a huge difference too. From his play in Halifax, I personally think he's NHL ready. He's physically developed (relatively heavy for his height) and has a very complete game. I'd be fine with him getting ten games with the Wings, then half the year in Grand Rapids, then coming back up after the TDL before returning for a Calder run after the Wings are done. If we could get him some time with a really good skating coach to get him another gear to his top speed this summer then there'd be just about nothing holding him back.

Reactions: Rexor

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Grand Rapids is exactly where he needs to start the season. After 25-30 games and he is performing at a high rate, the Wings should then give him a look. If not let him continue to develop in GR. No reason to rush this kid.

Burning a year off the ELC is irrelevant to the Red Wings future. As of right now we are hoping for Zadina to be a piece of our core. Its the players we draft around that future core that we will need to keep cost controlled. If anything burning his ELC sooner would possibly allow us to sign him at a lower long-term rate.

Reactions: Henkka

Christien

May 1, 2010
I have a feeling Holland wants Zadina to start in Grand Rapids next season, but I think Zadina’s going to have a big summer and really impress in training camp/preseason to force a roster spot. If he doesn’t manage to grab a spot on the Wings to start the season, I won’t be to disappointed because I think GR will be a great place for him to develop. Grand Rapids will be a strong team next season.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
First I've seen some Czech games live and it's surprisingly good hockey. Very fast, physical, tight checking and rough. Seems like a tough environment for skill to shine through as the refs let a lot go. Beyond that I think he probably was good enough to get more minutes in the Czech league, but never got much chance. They're pretty stingey about young kids getting playtime at the top level. Hronek was playing 3 minutes per game before being one of the best defenseman in the CHL. I can't find Zadina's toi stats, but I'm pretty confident he was in a similar spot.

At this age one year of development makes a huge difference too. From his play in Halifax, I personally think he's NHL ready. He's physically developed (relatively heavy for his height) and has a very complete game. I'd be fine with him getting ten games with the Wings, then half the year in Grand Rapids, then coming back up after the TDL before returning for a Calder run after the Wings are done. If we could get him some time with a really good skating coach to get him another gear to his top speed this summer then there'd be just about nothing holding him back.

Agreed with the first paragraph but I'm not 100% sure he's NHL ready. I've seen a few of his games for the Czech Republic senior team during the pre-WCH friendlies in April and he was still looking like a junior player out there. I'd like to see him get stronger and a tad more explosive, though a good summer workout program can do a lot for a player at this stage of development. I find his defensive game quite overrated, too. Someone like Kaut is closer to being NHL ready imo, a more complete player and physically stronger, though Zadina's upside is almost certainly higher. AHL could be a very good option for Zadina, no need to rush him.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Part of me feels the same, but I think the Wings are now forced into a position where they won't be able to send him down if he's truly ready. The Larkin example might be anecdotal, but I think the collective outrage from the fans... watching a pro ready kid get sent down while being forced to watch stale vets would be too painful for the Wings bottom line. The new car smell of LCA is wearing off, so they will need a guy like him if he's ready.

We all need to remember that every year that turns over takes the team one more year from the dynasty years, one more year from the new rink, and that nostalgia can only go so far. Holland and company will be forced to change the SOP of the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad