OT: Association Football Thread III (All Soccer Talk Here!)

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
More and more legitimate sources are saying Pogba is forcing an exit from United. Who could blame him?

He's almost as good as gone to Madrid. How will United replace him is the question. United are going to have a makeover in the midfield with Pogba and Herrera likely leaving. That's in addition to the dire needs at RW, CB, and RB.

When I see Pogba play for United, I laugh at how ineffective he is at anything. When I see him play for France, I wonder how he can be so poor at United.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
From a guy who supports a team in New Jersey :D
And my second favorite gridball team is the only one who plays in New York

Also:
FB_IMG_1556392899308.jpg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oh, and was it 13 seasons or 14 that RBNY also used somebody else's stadium?

Inquiring minds need to know.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Actually, we play in a top 5 historic stadium in North America.
No, that place was torn down. You now play in Six Flags Over The Bronx which like that monstrosity in Flushing is a great place to do anything except actually watch a game. Actually I take that back: Citi is actually a good venue to watch hockey. Isles should ditch Barclays and play games at Citi because it's far superior for hockey.

Last edited:

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Oh, and was it 13 seasons or 14 that RBNY also used somebody else's stadium?

Inquiring minds need to know.
If you know history you would realize that the stadium they used was arguably the most legendary venue for soccer in America. More legendary moments in American soccer took place there than anywhere else (Including the final match for the consensus greatest player ever)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Even though my social media patterns are Liverpool-centric, somehow 90% of my Twitter feed lately is Arsenal and Spurs fans shitting on each other.

I'm here for it.

Reactions: NYRPat21

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm honestly surprised we won today.

After everything they went through Tuesday, I can't believe this team got up off the mat again.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
LMAO.

Ruthless.
You are aware that (for starters) the concept of the modern superclub can trace it's origins back to the Cosmos? Or that the US Open Cup is among the oldest cup competitions in the world? Your response shows that you are both clueless and pretentious, a real unflattering combination.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You are aware that (for starters) the concept of the modern superclub can trace it's origins back to the Cosmos? Or that the US Open Cup is among the oldest cup competitions in the world? Your response shows that you are both clueless and pretentious, a real unflattering combination.
Be that as it may, let's not move the goalposts.

It wasn't your stadium.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
In other news, United drew one of the worst teams in PL history and lost at home to a relegation side for the last two games of the year. What a shitshow. No one in their right mind is going to want to play there.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In other news, United drew one of the worst teams in PL history and lost at home to a regulation side for the last two games of the year. What a ****show. No one in their right mind is going to want to play there.
Even as a Liverpool fan I feel bad at this point.

That's a proud old club and it never should get as bad as it's gotten the last six weeks or so. Those who let it get that bad either need to look in the mirror or get out of the way.

Reactions: sabremike

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

That's a proud old club and it never should get as bad as it's gotten the last six weeks or so. Those who let it get that bad either need to look in the mirror or get out of the way.
It's going to get worse before it gets better if Woodward doesn't f*** off and a DOF that has half a f*** of sense of what to do isn't brought in.

Reactions: Machinehead

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Be that as it may, let's not move the goalposts.

It wasn't your stadium.
But the problem with any of this is that the realities of early MLS were completely different than today. The first major soccer specific stadium in the US wasn't built until Crew Stadium opened in 1999 and the second was Home Depot Center in 2003. Teams having their own SSS was the exception in MLS until roughly 2010 because it was very difficult to convince municipalities to build one. In the post 2010 expansion wave Garber repeatedly said that the only way you would be granted a team was if you had a SSS plan in place. The fact that he completely broke his own rule to give CFG/Yankees a team is among the biggest reasons their lack of a stadium is such a source of derision.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

And honestly as a United supporter while of course you are our bitter rivals I actually would've preferred for you guys to have won the title. Liverpool isn't funded with blood money from mass murderers. That fact is why even though this season was a disaster beating PSG was still one of the most wonderful moments I've ever had as a United supporter.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And honestly as a United supporter while of course you are our bitter rivals I actually would've preferred for you guys to have won the title. Liverpool isn't funded with blood money from mass murderers. That fact is why even though this season was a disaster beating PSG was still one of the most wonderful moments I've ever had as a United supporter.
See, I knew you weren't so bad :)

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad