Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (Holiday 2020)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Honest question, is the game play that much different from the previous games?

The last one I played was the pirate one or whatever it was called. Even that game felt literally the same as previous titles. It felt like what EA NHL does every year, slaps a new shade of lipstick on a pig and tells you its not the one they trotted out previously.

Assassins' Creed took a major uturn with Origins, then refined that style of game with Odyssey. Its not really the same series anymore.

Origins is a little rough in its sytems, but I would highly recommend Odyssey. Im sure it could be had for well less then $20 at this point for the complete edition. Kassandra is a wonderful character to play as.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Assassins' Creed took a major uturn with Origins, then refined that style of game with Odyssey. Its not really the same series anymore.

Origins is a little rough in its sytems, but I would highly recommend Odyssey. Im sure it could be had for well less then $20 at this point for the complete edition. Kassandra is a wonderful character to play as.
I'll keep an eye out for it mate. Thanks for the replies. Keeps me hopeful for the new one.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am really enjoying the AC games since Origins.

I know when I purchase this game I will get long playing time and many missions and a lot of things to look for. It can take 160hrs to finish the game.

I do belive the U turn they did was for the better.

I am also VERY looking forward to Immortals Fenyx Rising which look like a mix of Zelda and Assassin's Creed. The developpers are the same of AC Odyssey.

Reactions: Jovavic

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can't even get the patch to download. Booted up the game, doesn't prompt to update. Tried going into my games and apps to update it manually. Nothing

Went into manage game and the update screen just spins endlessly...good job Ubisoft

Reactions: Chaels Arms

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I can't even get the patch to download. Booted up the game, doesn't prompt to update. Tried going into my games and apps to update it manually. Nothing

Went into manage game and the update screen just spins endlessly...good job Ubisoft
Mine went smoothly...

Reactions: Khelandros

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
What's even more sadder/funnier is that Ubisoft renamed their app again, from Ubisoft Club to Ubisoft Connect (why?). It's been several weeks since they did it and it still doesn't work. I remember going to get some rewards for AC: Syndicate before that but I can't get anything for AC: Odyssey. Good thing I got the Ezio set several months ago when I initially started to play it, I couldn't get it now. :facepalm:

Reactions: Chaels Arms

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Just playing Odyssy right now. I have made it off the island and am near completing the first area you land at.

question about the combat. I find it really clunky/slow with awkward button combinations when you are taking on more than 2 enemies at once. It just feels like there is no flow to the fight/battle when you are against more than one opponent. Does this get better as you start to improve your character? it just feels so far behind in regards to engaging multiple combatants compared to the combat of the witcher 3, batman games and middle-earth: shadow of war/Mordor.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Just playing Odyssy right now. I have made it off the island and am near completing the first area you land at.

question about the combat. I find it really clunky/slow with awkward button combinations when you are taking on more than 2 enemies at once. It just feels like there is no flow to the fight/battle when you are against more than one opponent. Does this get better as you start to improve your character? it just feels so far behind in regards to engaging multiple combatants compared to the combat of the witcher 3, batman games and middle-earth: shadow of war/Mordor.

Nope, that's how it is. I have no idea how people are so impressed with the combat in these games.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

There are abilities you can open up later on that stuns or hits more than one attacker at once. You can use staffs and other longer weapons to hit more than one at a time. Learn how to parry and when to roll away. Assassinate to thin the numbers. Buy a quick change slot in the inventory screen and have one for assassinating and one for warrior you can change into once you get found out. You'll get better if you stick with it.

Or give up like the above poster and miss out on a great game.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
There are abilities you can open up later on that stuns or hits more than one attacker at once. You can use staffs and other longer weapons to hit more than one at a time. Learn how to parry and when to roll away. Assassinate to thin the numbers. Buy a quick change slot in the inventory screen and have one for assassinating and one for warrior you can change into once you get found out. You'll get better if you stick with it.

Or give up like the above poster and miss out on a great game.

Yes, he should stick with it and hopefully by the time Odyssey becomes fun for him to play they will have fixed the glitches in Valhalla.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Nope, that's how it is. I have no idea how people are so impressed with the combat in these games.
It's Assassins Creed, if you are engaging multiple enemies at a time, you aren't very good at the Assassin part.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It's Assassins Creed, if you are engaging multiple enemies at a time, you aren't very good at the Assassin part.

You mean the Assassin series that level blocked assassinations in both Origins and Odyssey? Serious question, did you ever play either of those games? What an absurd comment. The gameplay is literally designed to force you into melee combat. In fact, one of the best things Ubi did with Valhalla was acknowledge what a terrible decision that was and give players the option to fix it (although even this comes with a hilarious and nonsensical YOU ARE NOT PLAYING THE WAY WE INTEND YOU TO PLAY warning).

FWIW, and I say this begrudgingly as someone who paid full price for both Origins and Odyssey and hated both of them, I am enjoying Valhalla much, much more than either of those games aside from the ridiculous glitches I've been encountering.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
You mean the Assassin series that level blocked assassinations in both Origins and Odyssey? Serious question, did you ever play either of those games? What an absurd comment. The gameplay is literally designed to force you into melee combat. In fact, one of the best things Ubi did with Valhalla was acknowledge what a terrible decision that was and give players the option to fix it (although even this comes with a hilarious and nonsensical YOU ARE NOT PLAYING THE WAY WE INTEND YOU TO PLAY warning).

FWIW, and I say this begrudgingly as someone who paid full price for both Origins and Odyssey and hated both of them, I am enjoying Valhalla much, much more than either of those games aside from the ridiculous glitches I've been encountering.
You can stealth "kill" right from the beginning of both. The only level blocking there is is due to being in the wrong area for your current level. The only melee I ever had to do was the boss fights and the legendary animals.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
You can stealth "kill" right from the beginning of both. The only level blocking there is is due to being in the wrong area for your current level. The only melee I ever had to do was the boss fights and the legendary animals.

Sounds like you really took advantage of the freedom, open world and vaunted new melee system in your play through.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I bought Odyssey at a cheap price after testing it during a free weekend. I began playing it properly about a month ago. Once you hit level 50, it becomes easier to upgrade gear, with more money and supplies given for completing missions. And I'm fairly early on the main story.

Btw, the AI in this is occasionally some of the dumbest ever. I've completed a few forts and killed a few mercenaries by only shooting with my bow from a roof. The AI at times cannot see me if I'm crouching. Like at Megaris leader house, I was able to kill the leader and 4-6 troops by crouching near the rail on the highest tower. They came within one meter of me but couldn't see me! :laugh:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I agree at first I was thinking about going Rambo style and kill everybody at once. As the game progress it becomes very hard to do that so my game evolved and now I am an archery/assassin master. The game is easier and a bit more fun since you have to think on how to approach any fight without getting spotted and kill harder targets first.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I would say it is quite possible to be an assassin. It requires patience though. I just managed to clear a forteress of 20 ennemies with arrows and assassin kills only. Predator bow is OP for long shot kills and with the vision you can see all ennemies through walls.

The exception is against boss fight.

Reactions: Khelandros

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would say it is quite possible to be an assassin. It requires patience though. I just managed to clear a forteress of 20 ennemies with arrows and assassin kills only. Predator bow is OP for long shot kills and with the vision you can see all ennemies through walls.

The exception is against boss fight.

I don't have any trouble being sneaky, the only thing I miss is the raven doesn't mark all enemies and items. That made it easier to navigate and know where you would likely encounter a melee combat, so you could do that last.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Finally finished this the other day, pretty much completing all of the mysteries, artifacts, wealths in each region except for the one that's still glitched for me. There was so much that I really enjoyed in this game, and a few things that were frustrating/a bit disappointing.

I think my favourite part of the plot was how they tied in the Valhalla & main storyline (even the "real" universe story was woven in at the end which was neat) over the course of the game and through those memory fragment flashbacks. Once I put it altogether it was a cool realization - I mean I kinda figured that Eivor was a descendant of Odin based on their appearance and how intertwined they were, but for Basim to be a descendant of Loki was unexpected. And looking back when he had the conversation with Eivor about his son being killed, and in that fight between the two when he spoke of his son, I was like was he talking about his actual son or Fenrir from those Valhalla flashbacks? Could be either or both?

The end with The Order was a bit underwhelming because it's all leading up to this leader and then you don't even need to kill anyone. It was interesting from the perspective that leading up to it all the clues point to the King but then he's trying to dismantle it and all these other order members are against him so it throws you off.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Finally finished this the other day, pretty much completing all of the mysteries, artifacts, wealths in each region except for the one that's still glitched for me. There was so much that I really enjoyed in this game, and a few things that were frustrating/a bit disappointing.

I think my favourite part of the plot was how they tied in the Valhalla & main storyline (even the "real" universe story was woven in at the end which was neat) over the course of the game and through those memory fragment flashbacks. Once I put it altogether it was a cool realization - I mean I kinda figured that Eivor was a descendant of Odin based on their appearance and how intertwined they were, but for Basim to be a descendant of Loki was unexpected. And looking back when he had the conversation with Eivor about his son being killed, and in that fight between the two when he spoke of his son, I was like was he talking about his actual son or Fenrir from those Valhalla flashbacks? Could be either or both?

The end with The Order was a bit underwhelming because it's all leading up to this leader and then you don't even need to kill anyone. It was interesting from the perspective that leading up to it all the clues point to the King but then he's trying to dismantle it and all these other order members are against him so it throws you off.
Which one glitched for you? I've got one in Oxenelordscire north of Saint Albanes Abbey that shows on the map but I know I killed the guy to get it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Which one glitched for you? I've got one in Oxenelordscire north of Saint Albanes Abbey that shows on the map but I know I killed the guy to get it.

The one in Grantebridgescire (I think) where you have to light those fires and lead the blind guy. I read you have to kill every enemy in the area across the water but I must've circled that place 20 times, there's no enemies left and I still can't talk to the guy to finish it lol

That's another frustrating part with some of these mysteries where it doesn't do a good job telling you what you need to do. It's just on you to figure out, and if it's not clear then you're kinda hopeless without looking it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad