Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
So when Sens will sign Zub to a long term deal for 2/3 years? There is nothing on a table still. His present contract will be done in may.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
This guy is just awesome. Rock solid defense with solid puckmoving.

He's basically what we hoped Zaitsev would be.

Should get him locked up long-term.

I'd probably go no longer than 3 years.

Zaitsev was unreal his first season too. Not saying Zub will become Zaitsev, it just makes me question how long I'd want to go.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Zaitsev was unreal his first season too. Not saying Zub will become Zaitsev, it just makes me question how long I'd want to go.

Zaitsev was never as good though, was he? I don't feel he was anywhere near as solid as Zub is. However, your 3 year max is probably the safest bet.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Zaitsev was never as good though, was he? I don't feel he was anywhere near as solid as Zub is. However, your 3 year max is probably the safest bet.

Idk if he was ever very good or anything like that, but he put up 36pts his rookie year so people thought he had an offensive game. He really doesnt though lol.

Funny enough, He tied Connor Brown in points that season

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

With Zaitsev I think it was his offensive game that resulted in his overpayment. If he continued to produce in the 30-40P range instead of the 10-20P range like the last 4YRs I don't think anyone would complain about his 4.5M salary.

Zub doesn't have gaudy numbers but is really smart and efficient. He's like a better version of DeMelo and I wouldn't have a problem giving him 3-4M x 4-5YRs.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Idk if he was ever very good or anything like that, but he put up 36pts his rookie year so people thought he had an offensive game. He really doesnt though lol.

Funny enough, He tied Connor Brown in points that season

Oh, oops, I misread that to mean his first season here. Fair enough, I avoided watching the Stinking Leafs as much as possible. Hurt the eyes.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
With Zaitsev I think it was his offensive game that resulted in his overpayment. If he continued to produce in the 30-40P range instead of the 10-20P range like the last 4YRs I don't think anyone would complain about his 4.5M salary.

Zub doesn't have gaudy numbers but is really smart and efficient. He's like a better version of DeMelo and I wouldn't have a problem giving him 3-4M x 4-5YRs.

Agreed that a Zub contract should age much better than a Zaitsev, Im just hesitant to lock down someone long term after 1 good season. Its tough with his age though. Definitely a good debate.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'd over him 3 years deal at about 3.5 mill per season.

I'd also try to get Zaitsev to Seattle and then look for a top 4 dman to play with Chabot.

Chabot - UFA signing
Zub - JBD
Xxx - Brannstrom
J. Brown

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's been performing like a top 4 D already. He's only 25 too. Same age as Paul.

What a fantastic pickup.

Agreed that a Zub contract should age much better than a Zaitsev, Im just hesitant to lock down someone long term after 1 good season. Its tough with his age though. Definitely a good debate.

Fair enough. I wouldn't give him more than 4M a year on a long-term deal due to his lack of a track record, but I don't have a problem locking him up for many years if it's in the 3-4M range.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Look who's #5. :cry:
Look at #3...nothing is certain but sure seems if we had played our hand correctly we could have had Girard for Turris in a straight swap.

Assuming he didnt sway things too much we could also have Byrum...

Look at the dumpster fire on our backend and now swap out 2 and add those 2.

Yes I understand it probably wouldn't have worked out exactly that way but does show how 1 move may have cost us a ton.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
In the current economic climate we could probably lock up Zub for 3.5M x 5 years escalating.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
That seems like a very large contract for a guy who’s played 24 NHL games.
This is a bit of a problem for Ottawa in terms of having to take some chances.

If we sign shorter term and he repeats or improves on performance next year the price goes up next time.

$3.5 for what he is showing right now would be great.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
This is a bit of a problem for Ottawa in terms of having to take some chances.

If we sign shorter term and he repeats or improves on performance next year the price goes up next time.

$3.5 for what he is showing right now would be great.
$3.5 mill isn’t bad, a little more then I’d like to pay but he’s been paying well. I just wouldn’t give him a lengthy contract this soon into his NHL career.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
I would think since he is an RFA and currently on cheap ELC, that he could be signed for a bit lower. Considering the limited sample size could he consider long term security over maximizing future earnings. Would a 4-5 year deal at AAV $2.0M not be potentially attractive?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That seems like a very large contract for a guy who’s played 24 NHL games.
24 NHL games but he was rock solid in the KHL. His adjustments to the ice size, physical play and speed has been very smooth. He is now taking minutes from Gudbranson on the PK. His UFA year is 2023 so theoretically we could sign him for 1 more year and then give term but it’s a risk going that way as well. I know people worry about it being like Zaitsev, but Zaitsev got his contract based on offence which dried up. Composure and defensive play which is Zub’s forte is much more sustainable and predictable.

Reactions: OD99

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I would think since he is an RFA and currently on cheap ELC, that he could be signed for a bit lower. Considering the limited sample size could he consider long term security over maximizing future earnings. Would a 4-5 year deal at AAV $2.0M not be potentially attractive?

Really don’t see that happening. Maybe 4-5 years at $4-4.5M or 1-2 years at $2.0M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad