Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
$3.5 mill isn’t bad, a little more then I’d like to pay but he’s been paying well. I just wouldn’t give him a lengthy contract this soon into his NHL career.
Only reason I would feel OK about it is he has already played KHL for a while and his game is simple enough to probably not fall off a cliff.

I doubt he is as good as he can be yet really.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I would think since he is an RFA and currently on cheap ELC, that he could be signed for a bit lower. Considering the limited sample size could he consider long term security over maximizing future earnings. Would a 4-5 year deal at AAV $2.0M not be potentially attractive?
The way he is trending he will for sure pick up at least 1 if not 2 A bonuses which could increase his salary to 1.2-1.4M this year. Doubt he signs with term for 2M.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Really don’t see that happening. Maybe 4-5 years at $4-4.5M or 1-2 years at $2.0M

Seems rather high, no? for a guy that hasn't played much in the league. Offering longer term, which should keep the salary down a bit, but that number seems like a mx UFA offer.

I don't if Zub's contract would run any different from typical RFAs on ELCs, but would the Sens not have the the control to keep the salary increase relatively low the next 2 years?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Seems rather high, no? for a guy that hasn't played much in the league. Offering longer term, which should keep the salary down a bit, but that number seems like a mx UFA offer.

I don't if Zub's contract would run any different from typical RFAs on ELCs, but would the Sens not have the the control to keep the salary increase relatively low the next 2 years?

If you’re signing Zub long term, you’re buying his 26-31 year old seasons - prime and UFA years. Plus, you’re betting a little on his potential. It’s similar to what the Leafs did with Zaitsev.

Plus, the Sens only incentives they throw in contracts are NMC’s. No signing bonuses.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
If you’re signing Zub long term, you’re buying his 26-31 year old seasons - prime and UFA years. Plus, you’re betting a little on his potential. It’s similar to what the Leafs did with Zaitsev.

Plus, the Sens only incentives they throw in contracts are NMC’s. No signing bonuses.

But he is not a UFA yet, and that $4-$4.5M seems like a UFA deal. He's got a couple more years before he can be UFA, so giving him UFA money doesn't make sense.

If trying to sign him a little longer term, you look at what he could earn in short term. Maybe $2.0M for the next couple RFA years. Then become UFA and would sign for what? Depends on how he plays of course, but I don't see him actually developing a whole lot more than what he is right now, but firming up his role as a dependable top 4, with minor offensive upside and good defensive role. So maybe $4M. So, 2 RFA years at $2.0M then 2-3 UFA years at $4M. That would put him at an AAV for 4-5 years around $3-$3.2.

But the player is getting the security of the team betting against any regression.

I don't know maybe my evaluations and analysis is way off.

* Also, he is already 25, leads more to the fact that Zub is what he is, less likely that his progression is going to track upward greatly.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would think since he is an RFA and currently on cheap ELC, that he could be signed for a bit lower. Considering the limited sample size could he consider long term security over maximizing future earnings. Would a 4-5 year deal at AAV $2.0M not be potentially attractive?

If I was his agent I would not accept a 4-5 year deal at 2 million... 1 year maybe

Reactions: TheNewEra

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Isn't that Chabot? Or one could even argue Sanderson when he gets here.

Side Bar ... Objection ... Sustained ...
I think Zub gets a 3 yr deal given his age at somewhere between $3.5 to $4 mil per yr.
pretty sure its a joke .. not all that funny but a joke..

Parody on getting a Methot like partner for Chabot

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
But he is not a UFA yet, and that $4-$4.5M seems like a UFA deal. He's got a couple more years before he can be UFA, so giving him UFA money doesn't make sense.

If trying to sign him a little longer term, you look at what he could earn in short term. Maybe $2.0M for the next couple RFA years. Then become UFA and would sign for what? Depends on how he plays of course, but I don't see him actually developing a whole lot more than what he is right now, but firming up his role as a dependable top 4, with minor offensive upside and good defensive role. So maybe $4M. So, 2 RFA years at $2.0M then 2-3 UFA years at $4M. That would put him at an AAV for 4-5 years around $3-$3.2.

But the player is getting the security of the team betting against any regression.

I don't know maybe my evaluations and analysis is way off.

* Also, he is already 25, leads more to the fact that Zub is what he is, less likely that his progression is going to track upward greatly.

You can already see Zub progressing

He's not a kid, but it's the best league in the world and a different ice surface and it's an adjustment. But you can see he's starting to look for opportunities to drive offence more than he was when he started.

Reactions: DrEasy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I wouldn't hesitate for one second locking him up for 6 years x 4 million. You can't teach hockey iq and he's got it in spades. Love this guy.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Leafs likely felt the same about Zaitsev.

Probably, but there's a difference between showing some nice offensive promise and being situationally aware as a rookie defender - to the point where your coach trusts you in the dying minutes of a close game and you reward him by saving it. And he's been doing this since day 1.

However...your point is valid. I tend to get excited with contracts.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Probably, but there's a difference between showing some nice offensive promise and being situationally aware as a rookie defender - to the point where your coach trusts you in the dying minutes of a close game and you reward him by saving it. And he's been doing this since day 1.

However...your point is valid. I tend to get excited with contracts.

I completely agree. Two different players, and Zub is showing a lot of two-way poise. My only point was that it might be a little overboard to commit $24 million after a ~45 game audition.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I completely agree. Two different players, and Zub is showing a lot of two-way poise. My only point was that it might be a little overboard to commit $24 million after a ~45 game audition.

Probably, yeah. The Matt Roy, 3 years, 3.15 sounded like a perfect fit.

Reactions: jhutter

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So.... he’s a good partner for Chabot and a legit top 4.... and people think he’s going to sign for $1.5-2 ??? I assume he will be looking for same range of money that White/Batherson types will be looking for off their ELC with one season behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad