Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
We're getting a young Olympic gold medallist ;).

------------------

It appears the Ottawa Senators have won the Artyom Zub sweepstakes.

“The expectation is that Zub, who's got the potential to be a top-four shutdown D-man in the NHL, will sign with the Ottawa Senators,“ TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said Thursday on Insider Trading.

Dreger reported earlier this week that the Senators were one of two finalists for the serices of the KHL defenceman, with Ottawa being a “top choice.“

Zub, 24, had 13 goals and 22 points in 57 games this season with SKA St. Petersburg.

The 6-foot-2 blueliner won gold with the Olympic Athletes from Russia at PyeongChang 2018 and is a two-time bronze medallist at the World Hockey Championship with Russia. He won the KHL's Gagarin Cup with SKA in 2017.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm not expecting anything more than a decent bottom pairing defensive D with Zub, but he's young enough to be a part of the team's long-term future if he works out so it's a good signing.

We should let Boro go now that we've signed a similar player that plays at RD, but I doubt that happens. Probably go into next season with a D of:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Boro - Brannstrom
Wolanin - Zub
Reilly, Jaros

Not terrible.

Reactions: NB613

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Caser described him as Gavrikov-lite and said it's a "maybe" on whether he could be a top 4 dman.

If he becomes similar to Gavrikov, that is a huge win for the Sens.

I know this doesn't mean much, but Zub lead the KHL in +/- and KHL dmen in goals.

Reactions: Deku

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'm not expecting anything more than a decent bottom pairing defensive D with Zub, but he's young enough to be a part of the team's long-term future if he works out so it's a good signing.

We should let Boro go now that we've signed a similar player that plays at RD, but I doubt that happens. Probably go into next season with a D of:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Boro - Brannstrom
Wolanin - Zub
Reilly, Jaros

Not terrible.
I doubt Brannstrom makes the team next year. He still has some elements of his game that he needs to work on and his injuries have delayed some of his development.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I doubt Brannstrom makes the team next year. He still has some elements of his game that he needs to work on and his injuries have delayed some of his development.

Brannstrom not making the team next year would be very disappointing, but I suppose it could happen.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Caser described him as Gavrikov-lite and said it's a "maybe" on whether he could be a top 4 dman.

If he becomes similar to Gavrikov, that is a huge win for the Sens.

I know this doesn't mean much, but Zub lead the KHL in +/- and KHL dmen in goals.
Who is gavrikov?

Reactions: tardigrade81

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Free asset hopefully he is decent, I wonder how much he will be paid.
Max ELC is my guess. So about 900k

edit: I deleted my duplicate post, but it duplicate deleted and ended up with no post... stupid server overload.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We're getting a young Olympic gold medallist ;).

------------------

It appears the Ottawa Senators have won the Artyom Zub sweepstakes.

“The expectation is that Zub, who's got the potential to be a top-four shutdown D-man in the NHL, will sign with the Ottawa Senators,“ TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said Thursday on Insider Trading.

Dreger reported earlier this week that the Senators were one of two finalists for the serices of the KHL defenceman, with Ottawa being a “top choice.“

Zub, 24, had 13 goals and 22 points in 57 games this season with SKA St. Petersburg.

The 6-foot-2 blueliner won gold with the Olympic Athletes from Russia at PyeongChang 2018 and is a two-time bronze medallist at the World Hockey Championship with Russia. He won the KHL's Gagarin Cup with SKA in 2017.

The link doesnt work, was the story taken down?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would bet on him being a bottom pairing D in the NHL. If he can be a shutdown D, doesn't panic and can make a good first pass .. great. This year was an outlier for him offensively. I would not expect much that way in the NHL Does he get a 1 way and an automatic roster spot is my question.

Reactions: Beville

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hopefully he comes in cheaper than what DeMelo would have signed for. IMO, you keep the player you know instead of the wildcard, but hey, that's me, what do I know.

3rd + Zub (on a 1 or 2 year elc, I believe) for UFA DeMelo

If there's a solid chance DeMelo isn't gonna sign with you, you may as well fill his spot with a younger cheaper option who has the potential to be better and a pick, rather than lose DeMelo for nothing.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I would bet on him being a bottom pairing D in the NHL. If he can be a shutdown D, doesn't panic and can make a good first pass .. great. This year was an outlier for him offensively. I would not expect much that way in the NHL Does he get a 1 way and an automatic roster spot is my question.

Has to be a 2-way deal as far as I understand it.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If there's a solid chance DeMelo isn't gonna sign with you, you may as well fill his spot with a younger cheaper option who has the potential to be better and a pick, rather than lose DeMelo for nothing.
Not really gonna get into to it, but you don't know this because there were never any discussions.

If he is cheaper, then sure. All I am saying is that you took a known commodity, and one that has been Chabot's best d partner and replaced him with an unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad