Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Sign this guy to a 5x25mil contract. I know Pierre has jumped the gun on a few extensions but this guy is literally our next Methot and rock on the right side. Must absolutely keep him.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
you wonder if Dorion had a POHO or another senior manager with experience (someone savy who Ottawa fans trusted like Bob Gainey / Daniel Alfredsson) who could do 1-2 big interviews during the season a year about the state of the team and lay out the plan and smooth over any community concerns (say at 20 game mark and All Star weekend) How far along the PR and media/community relations would be.

Dorion needs more support around him. He’s not perfect but he grinds for the team and I always think he’d be so much further along and be better represented if he had some more support and another name to do some of the community heavy lifting and another voice for the fans to hear: he does it all. He’s beeen the only consistent thing the team has had the last 5 years. He’s grinding, but has been media self-burned before and isn’t shy to talk to the media, but he’s learned to pick his spots better.

but could you imagine after the first 20 games of a season good or bad if it was Daniel Alfredsson in a $4000 suit, slick Alfie flow, Sens pin, those honest blue eyes giving us straight answers on Logan Brown, player development and the rebuild plan. It would be so helpful in so many ways it puzzles you as to why it hasn’t been done already

I think he has accepted in his mind that the media is out to get him and criticize everything he does, and he is trying to be tightlipped. But all it has created is tremendous second guessing, conspiracy theories, and criticism that, in the end is unwarranted and avoidable.

The ony way that will change is having another GM as this guy has been tarred and feathered so many times that what you see is now is what you get, unfortunately

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Zub, love this guy and he is going to change the composition of the blueline

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think he has accepted in his mind that the media is out to get him and criticize everything he does, and he is trying to be tightlipped. But all it has created is tremendous second guessing, conspiracy theories, and criticism that, in the end is unwarranted and avoidable.

The ony way that will change is having another GM as this guy has been tarred and feathered so many times that what you see is now is what you get, unfortunately

just imagine the first 10 games of the season hadn’t unfolded in such a disaster and the team won a couple games they deserved to win and they had played the kids from game 1. Totally different vibe and Dorion too would be in a better place - the Cobourn, Anisimov, Stephan, Paquette lineup really made the fans question his direction and Strategy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
just imagine the first 10 games of the season hadn’t unfolded in such a disaster and the team won a couple games they deserved to win and they had played the kids from game 1. Totally different vibe and Dorion too would be in a better place - the Cobourn, Anisimov, Stephan, Paquette lineup really made the fans question his direction and Strategy

Personally, I don't have an issue with the start, other than the results. Zub had to get acclimatized, and Brann was in quarantine for 28 days. It was poorly communicated more than anything. I approved of the benchings of Wolanin and White, and while many thought that Zub, Brann, White would have been fine all along, I highly doubt it.

The toxicity will not change much for Dorion, and he has chosen to put up a secretive shield, which sucks for the fans

Reactions: Sen sational

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s fine keeping things close to the vest. Half the posters in here mock even the way he speaks, regardless of what he says.

The truth is, the man’a job is to build the team, not cater to bitter bored fans. I would likely do the same, and would also never share team development plans with the media or fan base.

Fans are there to watch the game, not peek through the keyhole on management strategy meetings, or the locker room. The snippets have been a gift and a privilege. Besides, as you say, judging by many in here, whatever is shared gets torched anyways.

While he is definitely is no Bryan Murray, he most certainly isn’t a Tim Murray!

I will say this though, no replacement is going to be treated much differently. EM being a big meany has definitely bled onto PD, but a new GM is not going to come in beat up EM in the alley behind the arena, which is what these folks really want.

No, a new GM will come in and also go about their business of building and developing the team, while dealing with same judgements thrown out by fans.

The team looks very promising right now going forward, we should be careful of what we wish for.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The truth is, the man’a job is to build the team, not cater to bitter bored fans. I would likely do the same, and would also never share team development plans with the media or fan base.

The man's job is to sell tickets and make the organization money. Everything else is a means to that end. "Building a team" is meaningless if fans don't watch it. Winning Stanley Cups doesn't matter in a vacuum. Franchises try to win because winning sells tickets and makes money.

So yes, Pierre Dorion's job involves engaging fans and the media. He sucks at it and should try to get better.

Think of a movie director. Part of their job involves making a good movie. But part of their job also involves selling that movie by doing interviews and press junkets.

And if by "bitter bored fans", do you mean the consumers who make it possible to have the job?

Imagine a chef saying, "I shouldn't have to care about those bitter people who are booking tables and paying for meals!".

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The man's job is to sell tickets and make the organization money. Everything else is a means to that end. "Building a team" is meaningless if fans don't watch it. Winning Stanley Cups doesn't matter in a vacuum. Franchises try to win because winning sells tickets and makes money.

So yes, Pierre Dorion's job involves engaging fans and the media. He sucks at it and should try to get better.

Think of a movie director. Part of their job involves making a good movie. But part of their job also involves selling that movie by doing interviews and press junkets.

And if by "bitter bored fans", do you mean the consumers who make it possible to have the job?

Imagine a chef saying, "I shouldn't have to care about those bitter people who are booking tables and paying for meals!".

Pretty sure the chief responsibility of the GM is to build the team. Marketing is someone else's job.

Although with Melnyk running the show . . . . who the hell knows who is actually doing what with this franchise. He might be making Dorian wear way more hats than he should be.

And selling the movie is more the responsibility of a producer. Some directors are also producers, and some just like to do interviews.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
It’s fine keeping things close to the vest. Half the posters in here mock even the way he speaks, regardless of what he says.

Fans are there to watch the game, not peek through the keyhole on management strategy meetings, or the locker room. The snippets have been a gift and a privilege. Besides, as you say, judging by many in here, whatever is shared gets torched anyways.

While he is definitely is no Bryan Murray, he most certainly isn’t a Tim Murray!

I will say this though, no replacement is going to be treated much differently. EM being a big meany has definitely bled onto PD, but a new GM is not going to come in beat up EM in the alley behind the arena, which is what these folks really want.

No, a new GM will come in and also go about their business of building and developing the team, while dealing with same judgements thrown out by fans.

The team looks very promising right now going forward, we should be careful of what we wish for.

As opposed to casuals or overly naïve bored fans? Which one do you see yourself fitting into?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Poutine’s answer is pretty much how I would have responded, probably better.

I will say this; nobody works too hard to woo bored and bitter people. They don’t want to be wooed. They want to taste bile and spit vitriol. Typically the best way to deal with folks like that is to simply ignore them.

As the team gets better those voices will slowly sink back into the shadows, drowned out once again by excitement and and enjoyment. This is a phase.

Reactions: The Brady Bunch

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
This is a phase.

As is the tenure of Pierre Dorion. In the history of the Senators, he’ll just be a blip, like John Ferguson Jr was in Toronto.

The franchise and fans will be around long after he’s gone and forgotten, so there’s no reason getting overly worked up. Dorion is temporary. All fans need to do to be rid of him is wait.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As is the tenure of Pierre Dorion. In the history of the Senators, he’ll just be a blip, like John Ferguson Jr was in Toronto.

The franchise and fans will be around long after he’s gone and forgotten, so there’s no reason getting overly worked up. Dorion is temporary. All fans need to do to be rid of him is wait.

Each fan is only temporary too my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad