Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So anytime Toronto is mentioned in any article it's fake news. Got it.....

Sigh. No.

When a legitimate insider says something like "Toronto has made calls on Tanev and willing to trade their 1st" (just made that up), that's real news. You're reporting fact, there is definite interest and discussions going on. If it's proven to be false, your reputation suffers.

When another insider says something like "it's rumored Toronto is looking for RHD ahead of next season. I have to wonder if they don't kick tires on Tanev", that's "fake news". You're reporting speculation, I heard, it's rumored, it's long been believed. If it's proven to be false, oh well I guess I heard wrong.

It has nothing to do with if Toronto is mentioned or not, just the language differences between a factual report and one that's qualified with "it's long been believed".

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Stop asking yourself how it benefits the Islanders.

Instead ask how it benefits Arthur Staple. Who left his job at Newsday (where anyone could read his articles) for a job at The Athletic, who want $7.99/month for them to view your content. I don't have a subscription, I'd rather put that money towards hulu.

Staple, and Staple's bosses are very interested in the benefits of bringing eyes to his articles. "It's long been believed" is a good way of speculating as opposed to reporting. There's nothing stopping Staple from simply saying "Toronto and LA are the preferred destinations" - and yet he adds the "it's long been believed" qualifier beforehand.

It's good business to pander to Toronto fans, if I was paid for this crap I'd be coming up with takes how it's been speculated Karlsson sees Toronto as a great fit.
Maybe it's possible he still has some connections from the Islanders?

There is another reporter from The Athletic named Jonas Siegel who use to work at TSN Radio 1050 in Toronto as a Maple Leafs reporter. Are we not supposed to believe him anytime he posts information regarding the Leafs?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Sigh. No.

When a legitimate insider says something like "Toronto has made calls on Tanev and willing to trade their 1st" (just made that up), that's real news. You're reporting fact, there is definite interest and discussions going on. If it's proven to be false, your reputation suffers.

When another insider says something like "it's rumored Toronto is looking for RHD ahead of next season. I have to wonder if they don't kick tires on Tanev", that's "fake news". You're reporting speculation, I heard, it's rumored, it's long been believed. If it's proven to be false, oh well I guess I heard wrong.

It has nothing to do with if Toronto is mentioned or not, just the language differences between a factual report and one that's qualified with "it's long been believed".
I don't believe that it has to be a Bob McKenzie reporting it for a writer to find some info out about a situation. Sure they are connected better then most but it's absolutely possible to get a scoop. Even Eklund has beat the top insiders to the punch before using the Carter/Richards situation as an example when they were traded from Philly. Eklund was first for God's sake. Lol

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
It's also possible Karlsson gets traded to Edmonton this summer. It would be foolish for Oiler fans to hjack the Karlsson thread starting this though.

This is Stamkos 2.0. Tavares will sign in New York. We will then hear from Leafs fans how Dubas made the right call not signing him, and that the blueline should be their priority.

Heck, if we are lucky we might hear Marner>Tavares

Wasn't Toronto one of 4 teams Stamkos agreed to meet with outside of the Lightning organization? How is it unreasonable for people talking about the possibility of a player signing, when their team is one of the 4 that were met with?
And on your second point, its already very split between people who want him vs those who want to use the money on defense instead.

Reactions: ThewThew

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't believe that it has to be a Bob McKenzie reporting it for a writer to find some info out about a situation. Sure they are connected better then most but it's absolutely possible to get a scoop. Even Eklund has beat the top insiders to the punch before using the Carter/Richards situation as an example when they were traded from Philly. Eklund was first for God's sake. Lol

So I should believe John Shannon on how there's tension between Babcock and Matthews then? He's no McKenzie, but he knows the game and I'm sure he has sources around the league.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
So I should believe John Shannon on how there's tension between Babcock and Matthews then? He's no McKenzie, but he knows the game and I'm sure he has sources around the league.
You can belive whatever you want but anyone of these guys can get info from time to time

Last edited:
Reactions: ThewThew

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe it's possible he still has some connections from the Islanders?

There is another reporter from The Athletic named Jonas Siegel who use to work at TSN Radio 1050 in Toronto as a Maple Leafs reporter. Are we not supposed to believe him anytime he posts information regarding the Leafs?

If Staple doesn't have connections to the Islanders, why would The Athletic keep him around?

The transition of power from Snow to Lou must be nervewracking for Staple. Once Tavares signs one way or the other, interest in all things Islanders goes steeply downhill from a leaguewide perspective. If Lou runs his organization with such tight lips, that means less info for Staple to report.

What becomes of a hockey insider whose connection to the inside gets severed and replaced by a brick wall?

Are you even reading what I'm saying?

You seem to be countering a point about Arthur Staple's credibility when that post is exclusively about insiders giving factual reports vs. throwing out speculation.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Shannon's got legit sources. He knows well connected agents and he even knows Lamoriello well enough to have dinner with him. I would say this would qualify him as an insider.

I don't know many people in sports media that Lou would dine with.

Reactions: PWJunior

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If Staple doesn't have connections to the Islanders, why would The Athletic

Are you even reading what I'm saying?

You seem to be countering a point about Arthur Staple's credibility when that post is exclusively about insiders giving factual reports vs. throwing out speculation.
I'm saying nobody knows where the info came from and we can't just discredit it and call it speculation

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Ok, I think Shannon is legit and I'll believe him. This Staple article is an opinion piece so take out of it what you will. At least Shannon's report is something specific with who, what, where, and when established.
And sometimes a writer puts something out where sources can't be released in fear of not getting anymore scoops cause he outed someone with too much info. Every scenario is different

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I heard Tavares wants a low key place where there is very little media attention. In that case i think San Jose would be a great spot for him.
Over STL? I think there's maybe a 1% chance he comes to the Blues, but there's no doubt in my mind he fits the Blues better than any other team mentioned. The Blues top 2 centers right now are Schenn and prospect Robert Thomas.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Personally I am not a fan of Shannon but I think he has some credibility. As such, I would believe it. It is not unfathomable for a coach and player not to always see eye to eye. That is not to say the issue(s) cannot be fixed.

What point are you trying to make here bringing up Shannon when we are discussing Staple and JT being interested in playing for his home team. Which BTW is the only reason I would put the Leafs ahead of any team other than the Isles when it comes to signing JT.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Wasn't Toronto one of 4 teams Stamkos agreed to meet with outside of the Lightning organization? How is it unreasonable for people talking about the possibility of a player signing, when their team is one of the 4 that were met with?
And on your second point, its already very split between people who want him vs those who want to use the money on defense instead.

Close. Toronto was the ONLY team Stamkos met with outside of Tampa.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Really think the Devils are a favorite here. Shero's keeping this pretty low-key, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't offer Tavares a very competitive contract to stay close to home (edit: home as in where he currently spends the majority of his time) and play on an up-and-coming team with a future Hart Trophy winner.

But I'm clearly biased.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Really think the Devils are a favorite here. Shero's keeping this pretty low-key, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't offer Tavares a very competitive contract to stay close to home (edit: home as in where he currently spends the majority of his time) and play on an up-and-coming team with a future Hart Trophy winner.

But I'm clearly biased.

I don’t think Tavares will leave to stay that close. The Devils like Vegas are currently an unproven commodity who may have goaltending issues and is very young. I think if he’s taking his talents elsewhere it’s not going to be close by to NYI and will be a team that is more proven to be a contender. I agree that Shero makes an offer though if Tavares makes it to 6/25

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

But I'm clearly biased.

if Tavares leaves he is not going to stay in the division, he is going to be aware he is going to be hated by a large amount of the Isles fan base and I am sure he is not interested in playing the Islanders 6 times a year

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
if Tavares leaves he is not going to stay in the division, he is going to be aware he is going to be hated by a large amount of the Isles fan base and I am sure he is not interested in playing the Islanders 6 times a year

If he's going to sign in the division, he should sign with Pittsburgh if winning matters above all else.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Why wouldn't he want to play the Islanders? Does he not like to pad his stats or something?

Reactions: bigd and Kelly

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I feel bad because Snow didn't trade him at the deadline for a 1st rd pick atleast. The Isles would have 3 now if that was the case. This is the real feel bad if you are an Isles fan.

Naw, why it doesn't make a ton of sense this situation actually happens a lot. Whenever a star or high end player is coming up for UFA who is either too important for the franchise or needed for a playoff run the most common outcome is teams risk them leaving as its too important to have them or to give every effort to resign them. We saw this with Stamkos as well as guys like Stastny in Colorado a few years ago.

Its actually pretty rare for GMs to trade guys who haven't signed yet. In NYI's case specifically if JT leaves it completely blows up that team so they're likely to try everything, including firing the entire front office and coaching staff in a last ditch effort to keep him.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

See this sounds good in theory, and as a fan I know you want to believe it, but it's ultimately bullshit.

If the Devils/Rangers/Penguins offer the right money and fit what JT is looking for, he's going to ink the contract without much thought about what division they're in. I doubt he's worried about what Islanders fans think.

From the Devils, see: Gomez, Holik, JMac, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad