Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
btw

Isnt Staples a beat writer for the NYI? So he might just be spinning what the team is saying

Lou knows how to play the media
What benifit is it to the Islanders to write that L.A. and Toronto are his destinations of choice if he leaves NY?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Do Leafs fan seriously think Tavares is signing in Toronto? :laugh:

Actually, not really surprised.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It's possible but not 100%. It's laughable to think you can't see a fit in Toronto :laugh:

It's also possible Karlsson gets traded to Edmonton this summer. It would be foolish for Oiler fans to hjack the Karlsson thread starting this though.

This is Stamkos 2.0. Tavares will sign in New York. We will then hear from Leafs fans how Dubas made the right call not signing him, and that the blueline should be their priority.

Heck, if we are lucky we might hear Marner>Tavares

Reactions: A91

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It's also possible Karlsson gets traded to Edmonton this summer. It would be foolish for Oiler fans to hjack the Karlsson thread starting this though.

This is Stamkos 2.0. Tavares will sign in New York. We will then hear from Leafs fans how Dubas made the right call not signing him, and that the blueline should be their priority.

Heck, if we are lucky we might hear Marner>Tavares
Lol. Oh the leafs hate. Why is it leafs fans can't comment on a thread about JT and Toronto as a possible fit. As for your example if Karlsson was linked to Edmonton why couldn't fans comment on it?

Reactions: ThewThew

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What benifit is it to the Islanders to write that L.A. and Toronto are his destinations of choice if he leaves NY?

The quote is:

It’s long been believed that the Kings and the Leafs would be his preferred destinations if he could choose.

Do you see how that's vague enough to be accurate (seeing as how much Toronto has been linked to JT) while also bringing up pageviews for his behind-a-paywall articles?

Everyone in hockey knows which proverbial park to throw bread crumbs in if you want to collect the most pigeons. And here you are, taking his quote out of context to say Toronto is his "destination of choice". Peck peck peck peck peck.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
The quote is:

Do you see how that's vague enough to be accurate (seeing as how much Toronto has been linked to JT) while also bringing up pageviews for his behind-a-paywall articles?

Everyone in hockey knows which proverbial park to throw bread crumbs in if you want to collect the most pigeons. And here you are, taking his quote out of context to say Toronto is his "destination of choice". Peck peck peck peck peck.
How did I take a quote out of context? I said Toronto and LA not just Toronto because that's what was wrote in the article. Again what benifit is it to the islanders to say that. They aren't competing with anyone right now to sign him

I think what we're dealing with here is your hate for the leafs and you may require a safe space....

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Do Leafs fan seriously think Tavares is signing in Toronto? :laugh:

The memo on what our hive mind is supposed to think is not out yet but we'll let you know....:rolleyes:

I think you will find Leaf fans have a wide range of opinions, much like other fans. In answer to the question though it is a difficult thing to have a strong opinion about because we lack a lot of information.

1. Where does Taveres really want to go? Is he just using us as leverage or does he really want to be a Leaf?

2. Does Dubas want to commit that kind of cap to another forward? Will we get a home town discount? How much?

On the surface we can afford a 10 million dollar+ signing while still paying our kids when they come up. However making a 10 million dollar forward commitment makes ever getting a big name D much more unlikely.

Without knowing Taveres personally I have no insight into his priorities but we cannot ignore the possibility of him going for a 12mil+ pay day which we probably could not do.

This notion he wants to go some where quiet, is it reality or just something Islander fans are telling themselves in hopes he stays? I have no clue but history suggests the odds favour him returning to his old team.

So this Leaf fan thinks probably not but it is not impossible. I cannot speak for other Leaf fans but I'll be sure to ask a fan of your team if this post was helpful to you :P I'm sure you guys all think the same right?

Sorry guys, another Leaf fan posting in a thread about a player linked to Toronto, outrageous I know. Here's hoping you get over it.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: ThewThew

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I said Toronto and LA not just Toronto because that's what was wrote in the article. Again what benifit is it to the islanders to say that. They aren't competing with anyone right now to sign him

Stop asking yourself how it benefits the Islanders.

Instead ask how it benefits Arthur Staple. Who left his job at Newsday (where anyone could read his articles) for a job at The Athletic, who want $7.99/month for them to view your content. I don't have a subscription, I'd rather put that money towards hulu.

Staple, and Staple's bosses are very interested in the benefits of bringing eyes to his articles. "It's long been believed" is a good way of speculating as opposed to reporting. There's nothing stopping Staple from simply saying "Toronto and LA are the preferred destinations" - and yet he adds the "it's long been believed" qualifier beforehand.

It's good business to pander to Toronto fans, if I was paid for this crap I'd be coming up with takes how it's been speculated Karlsson sees Toronto as a great fit.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Stop asking yourself how it benefits the Islanders.

Instead ask how it benefits Arthur Staple. Who left his job at Newsday (where anyone could read his articles) for a job at The Athletic, who want $7.99/month for them to view your content. I don't have a subscription, I'd rather put that money towards hulu.

Staple, and Staple's bosses are very interested in the benefits of bringing eyes to his articles. "It's long been believed" is a good way of speculating as opposed to reporting. There's nothing stopping Staple from simply saying "Toronto and LA are the preferred destinations" - and yet he adds the "it's long been believed" qualifier beforehand.

It's good business to pander to Toronto fans, if I was paid for this crap I'd be coming up with takes how it's been speculated Karlsson sees Toronto as a great fit.
So anytime Toronto is mentioned in any article it's fake news. Got it.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad