Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You are missing the point. You pointed to a Crosby/Malkin/Kessel fwd built core as an argument that the Leafs could afford to sign JT not allowing the fact that Crosby and Malkin are better than Matthews and Tavares, and that Kessel had a retained contract compliments to Shanahan. You may want to add Malkin and Crosby were signed to relatively cap friendly contracts at 8.7M each far less than what JT and Matthews whom I am hearing will be looking for the moon.
Are you saying the leafs can't afford JT? Just spit it out. Just a lot of verbal diarrhea here

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You realize that "sort of have the same strengths and weaknesses" doesn't mean "THEY HAVE THE EXACT SAME DEFENSE/EXACT SAME OFFENSE"? It simply means that both teams are strong up front, but have question marks on defense.

And good for the Leafs. At no point have I suggested the Penguins had a defense that rivals the 1990s Devils club, so I'm not sure how that's relevant to my assessment of the Isles/Leafs' strengths and weaknesses.
Leafs defense is not questionable. It is average or slightly better.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Forgetting about all the contract situations for a moment, talent wise it's not outrageous to say that Matthews and Tavares on the same team can be just as good as Crosby and Malkin.

Notice you said Can be. Being The operative word. Canada can be a Soccer power by the 2026. Is it likely, no. Can be as good as during the 21-30 age generational talents like Crosby and Malkin were. Some of us like to live in the real world

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Leafs defense is not questionable. It is average or slightly better.

Question marks, not questionable. They don't have a #1 guy that most Cup winners have.

I mean, the discussion is likelihood of winning a Cup and what would entice Tavares, right? No one's suggesting the Leafs suck and Tavares would be going to a team who keeps missing the playoffs. But I think it's pretty obvious to non-Leaf fans that if the Leafs want to enter the Cup contender and not just playoff contender stratosphere, finding that #1D is at the top of the list.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Notice you said Can be. Being The operative word. Canada can be a Soccer power by the 2026. Is it likely, no. Can be as good as during the 21-30 age generational talents like Crosby and Malkin were. Some of us like to live in the real world
Excuse me for thinking that a player like Matthews who scored 40 goals as a rookie and a top 10 centre in Tavares who was a Hart Trophy finalist can make the Leafs a better team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Excuse me for thinking that a player like Matthews who scored 40 goals as a rookie and a top 10 centre in Tavares who was a Hart Trophy finalist can make the Leafs a better team.

A 69 point Center when Crosby had 102 as a 18 year old and a 113 point Malkin 100+ 3 times in his career does not equal what you are claiming. Also do you think JT and Matthews are going to take 8.7M-9.5M per, not to mention someone retaining 20% salary on Marner?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A 69 point Center when Crosby had 102 as a 18 year old and a 113 point Malkin 100+ 3 times in his career does not equal what you are claiming. Also do you think JT and Matthews are going to take 8.7M-9.5M per, not to mention someone retaining 20% salary on Marner?
I love how you are so convinced Marner will need to be traded if they sign Tavares. If worst comes to worst if any of the Leafs big 3 are traded I think it's going to be Nylander. As for your comments about Matthews and calling him a 69 point centre, prior injuries this season he was playing at a 45 goal and 85 point pace. Be ready to be disappointed next season when you can stop calling Matthews a 69 point centre, even though he scored 40 goals that season but I know your agenda when it comes to the Leafs.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com

I agree with everything else you've said (Matthews/Tavares is in no way as good as Crosby/Malkin) but with inflation and the higher cap since the 2 Pittsburgh contracts, Matthews and Tavares will probably end up with a similar cap hit relative to Crosby and Malkin when they signed

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I love how you are so convinced Marner will need to be traded if they sign Tavares. If worst comes to worst if any of the Leafs big 3 are traded I think it's going to be Nylander. As for your comments about Matthews and calling him a 69 point centre, prior injuries this season he was playing at a 45 goal and 85 point pace. Be ready to be disappointed next season when you can stop calling Matthews a 69 point centre, even though he scored 40 goals that season but I know your agenda when it comes to the Leafs.

Boy, where did I say Marner was going to be traded? This is why people don't reply to you. Not unless they have to, to correct the record. Remember you kept on with your narrative of Kyper tweeting Hunter was going to be the Leafs next GM, even when I and others showed you this wasn't the case. But that didn't stop you from repeating it. Just a very disingenuous of posting. But I made my point. And it is clear you are not going to respond to the false narratives I illustrated you brought up.

Now for where JT goes. I will repeat what I said today. It's too bad Snow didn't get at least a first rd pick for him at the deadline. This is the crime. Whether he signs with the Isles or not, it will likely be a positive and a negative. The positive fans will be happy, and he is a pretty good producer especially on the PP, but the contract and length are not like to be favourable ones, as we have seen with other players that sign long term big contracts once they turn 27-28.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with everything else you've said (Matthews/Tavares is in no way as good as Crosby/Malkin) but with inflation and the higher cap since the 2 Pittsburgh contracts, Matthews and Tavares will probably end up with a similar cap hit relative to Crosby and Malkin when they signed

That's a fair statement. Thanks for noting that. But even then. I am glad you also caught my point, if someone is trying to make a case of equivalency of getting the quality of the Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel under the terms below to signing JT. This It is not likely.

87 = 8.7
71 = 8.7-9.5
81 = 8 - 1.2 (6.8)

Reactions: grapes55

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Boy, where did I say Marner was going to be traded? This is why people don't reply to you. Not unless they have to, to correct the record. Remember you kept on with your narrative of Kyper tweeting Hunter was going to be the Leafs next GM, even when I and others showed you this wasn't the case. But that didn't stop you from repeating it. Just a very disingenuous of posting. But I made my point. And it is clear you are not going to respond to the false narratives I illustrated you brought up.
So when you said this were you not referring that Marner needs to be traded if Tavares signs in Toronto?

The Winter Soldier said:
Also do you think JT and Matthews are going to take 8.7M-9.5M per, not to mention someone retaining 20% salary on Marner?

Marner has not signed his next contract yet and no one knows what it will look like. So in my opinion you are saying the Leafs will need to trade him if they happen to sign Tavares.

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
I genuinely think Buffalo could be in the running. Already have a top #1 Center, getting a #1 D in the draft, have Tavares' long time line mate signed in Okposo, close to home without having to deal with the Toronto media, and have ROR to trade to fill out the holes in the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad