Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Clearly says the Leafs can afford him and are the wild card.

Clearly says they could afford him next season. Cleary also says the year after that, they need to find the money for Matthews and Marner. And none of this factors in what the Leafs actually have to upgrade which is their defense.

If Dubas committed $11 million in additional cap money to upgrade their offence - which doesn't need upgrading - leaving him no money to bring in some defenders, he would be seriously jeopardizing the Leafs window.

I don't understand why Leaf fans want Tavares. This isn't a hockey pool. It's an actual hockey team. Goal scoring and offensive production is not the Leafs weakness, it's their strength.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i think you missed the point they can trade a player(s) to make cap. unlike the leafs where they have to fill multiple roster spots.

The Leafs have about 23 million now, 28 if the cap goes to 80 million as is reported, that also doesn't include Horton's LTIR which we found out last year you can use in the summer.

The Leafs are completely fine

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Clearly says they could afford him next season. Cleary also says the year after that, they need to find the money for Matthews and Marner. And none of this factors in what the Leafs actually have to upgrade which is their defense.

If Dubas committed $11 million in additional cap money to upgrade their offence - which doesn't need upgrading - leaving him no money to bring in some defenders, he would be seriously jeopardizing the Leafs window.

I don't understand why Leaf fans want Tavares. This isn't a hockey pool. It's an actual hockey team. Goal scoring and offensive production is not the Leafs weakness, it's their strength.

Really do I have to explain to you why Leaf fans would want Matthews Tavares Kadri down the middle? That Should speak for itself

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Really do I have to explain to you why Leaf fans would want Matthews Tavares Kadri down the middle? That Should speak for itself

Luckily your GM isn't nearly that dumb to tie up all that cap space without addressing actual needs on the roster.

And no, you, of all people, don't need to explain anything to me, or to anyone frankly.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Let's say the Leafs don't sign Tavares, however they are willing to gamble that either Doughty or Karlsson become UFA's in 2019, since everyone says they need help on defense a lot more. If either of those two want at least $10+ on a 7 year UFA contract, won't those same people who say they can not afford Matthews, Marner and Nylander if Tavares signs say the same thing if they sign Doughty or Karlsson?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say the Leafs don't sign Tavares, however they are willing to gamble that either Doughty or Karlsson become UFA's in 2019, since everyone says they need help on defense a lot more. If either of those two want at least $10+ on a 7 year UFA contract, won't those same people who say they can not afford Matthews, Marner and Nylander if Tavares signs say the same thing if they sign Doughty or Karlsson?

The picture would be a lot clearer next off-season on what Toronto could or couldn't afford to do with perhaps all of their three young forwards re-signed.

More importantly, if it's Doughty or Karlsson they are looking to sign, at least it would be addressing a need and a player worth freeing up cash elsewhere on their roster to bring in. I don't think Tavares is that guy and moreso, I highly doubt Dubas does either.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The picture would be a lot clearer next off-season on what Toronto could or couldn't afford to do with perhaps all of their three young forwards re-signed.

More importantly, if it's Doughty or Karlsson they are looking to sign, at least it would be addressing a need and a player worth freeing up cash elsewhere on their roster to bring in. I don't think Tavares is that guy and moreso, I highly doubt Dubas does either.

It depends what Shanny thinks that's what matters Shanny is the boss

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Either way the I see it the Leafs are dammed if they do dammed if they don't in the minds of fans from other teams. If they sign Tavares others are assuming they can not keep Matthews, Marner and Nylander. If that does not happen and they happen to sign either Doughty or Karlsson in 2019 and this also depends on what the salary cap will be, those same people will say how can they afford Matthews, Marner, Nylander and either Doughty or Karlsson?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Either way the I see it the Leafs are dammed if they do dammed if they don't in the minds of fans from other teams. If they sign Tavares others are assuming they can not keep Matthews, Marner and Nylander. If that does not happen and they happen to sign either Doughty or Karlsson in 2019 and this also depends on what the salary cap will be, those same people will say how can they afford Matthews, Marner, Nylander and either Doughty or Karlsson?

You seem to care an awful lot what fans of other teams think about the Maple Leafs.

Who gives a damn what they think? The Leafs can clearly afford to keep those three forwards and go out and get a solid, minute eating first pairing defenseman and pay him too. So who gives a damn what anyone else thinks about that?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

The Leafs would be able to pay Tavares and still afford Matthews, Marner and Nylander. I do agree that there is a need on the back end, but this idea that they couldn't afford to add him isn't true.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Leafs have about 23 million now, 28 if the cap goes to 80 million as is reported, that also doesn't include Horton's LTIR which we found out last year you can use in the summer.

The Leafs are completely fine

Was never actually established if that is possible since the Leafs ended up not doing so.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So when is he getting his Vezina? Taking a team that should apparently be bottom 5 in GA to top-11 is nothing short of a miracle.

When he gets his Octobers in order, if Andersen played in October the way he does from November-April he would be Vezina caliber because at his besy he's incredible

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018

You don’t not go after a plyer of Tavares caliber because offence is not a pressing need. Tavares makes any team much better. There’s maybe 3-4 centres in the league better than him. You sign him if you can end of story.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs would be able to pay Tavares and still afford Matthews, Marner and Nylander. I do agree that there is a need on the back end, but this idea that they couldn't afford to add him isn't true.

Not if they want to address their defense though, that's the point.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You don’t not go after a plyer of Tavares caliber because offence is not a pressing need. Tavares makes any team much better. There’s maybe 3-4 centres in the league better than him. You sign him if you can end of story.

If you are badly managed, you go out and sign a forward when you don't need one and ignore the actual holes in your lineup.

The Maple Leafs, right now, are not badly managed and they won't do something this stupid.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
There is no way the Leafs are getting Doughty or Karlsson without making a trade. Neither the Kings or Sens are going to let either of these two guys walk for nothing. It will cost the Leafs Marner or Nylander in a trade to get one of these defensemen.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->