Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Leafs would put themselves in a real tough spot if they sign him. Get real tight against the cap without fixing their most glaring issue

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've said all along that the Sharks and Islanders are still my bet to have Tavares come October, but when you look at all the teams that will coming asking for his services, how many of them are in a better position overall than the Islanders, all of them?

You can almost bet that the team he goes to will already have:

Better fan support, he won't be playing in empty arena

Better roster, when you get to pick where you're going, chances are you're going to a team way further ahead than the Islanders(if you choose to go)

Better arena right off the bat, I know a new arena is coming but it won't be in October

A coach that he likes and wants to play for, we don't know who the Islanders guy is right now.

In saying all of that, I really do hope he signs with the Islanders, I've said he's a top 5 center for a very long time, and hope he stays with the team that made him that!

Why in every post do you keep claiming you want JT to sign with the Isles? Are you now suddenly an Islanders fan? You seemed awfully invested in the team with your frequent posts in Isles related threads...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe all of them, maybe none of them. Pretty much all the teams in the Tavares sweepstakes - including your Leafs - are not guaranteed playoff contenders. Kings, Sharks, Blues, Sabres, Habs, Devils, Avs - whoever else is putting in an offer isn't that far ahead of us. You expect Toronto to be on this way higher tier than the Islanders, when in reality your front office seems plagued by negative rumors here and there. First Babcock and Matthews had a confrontation of some sorts. Now Matthews & Marner don't want to sign until they have to. We might be stealing your top assistant!

There's no guarantee that Toronto finishes ahead of the Islanders next season, especially considering the turmoil in Toronto contrasted with the stability brought by Lou to the Islanders. This article mentions Lou is using assets to upgrade this team, fix the holes. A core forward roster of Barzal, Lee, Bailey, Beauvillier, Eberle, with Bellows and potentially Ho-Sang fighting for spots in the lineup. So please, you go ahead predicting success and glory for your team, and doom and failure for ours.

The Isles will improve next year. Knowing Lou, he will address the goaltending situation. This is a must. Also I would have to think the hiring of a new Head Coach will help stabilize the on ice product. I also was thinking of this today. Quinn Hughes has slid in the draft rankings. He is very close to the range where The Isles are picking this year. So it is not inconceivable the Isles get him. The Isles play in the best division in hockey. Whether JT re-signs or not, I am ok with either scenario. I don't think he will make or break this team long term. He gave his best years to the organization already. The Isles to me look like a team that can pull a Devils finish next year.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Never said it could not happen, said Isles might have to over pay. You also don't know what other teams Caps tried to dump Johansson and his contract on. That said, I doubt Devils were as desperate for Johansson as Isles are for a goalie.
Tried to dump a player coming off a 54 point year (career high) only making 4.5 against the cap for another two years? While they received a second and a third round pick in return, doesnt seem to me like they were trying to get rid of him for pennies.

As far as desperation goes, that is subjective based on the devils giving up two picks to acquire Johansson. The islanders could go a different direction than Grubauer, so I dont understand why there is a perception of vastly higher desperation from the islanders. Enough so that they would just have to go over the top for a guy who is on limbo with his current team.

I mean, the Caps goaltending situation is pretty much laid out and Grubauer is mostly the odd man out.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs would put themselves in a real tough spot if they sign him. Get real tight against the cap without fixing their most glaring issue

Matthews Tavares Kadri down the middle and pairings of

Nylander Matthews

Marner Tavares

Marleau Kadri

what a hard spot that would be

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
If Tavares says he wants to play for your team, you make the room. Players like him don’t become available in the NHL, at least for assets that don’t go beyond cap space. Though, I can just imagine how much that would cause the media circus in Toronto to ramp up the “Trade Marner/Nylander for a defenseman” talk, probably wouldn’t be good for those guys.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews Tavares Kadri down the middle and pairings of

Nylander Matthews

Marner Tavares

Marleau Kadri

what a hard spot that would be

Do the Leafs not plan to ice a defense?

Only way Leafs even entertain signing Tavares is if they also plan on moving out one of Nylander/Marner for help on the back end.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not comparing their defenses to each other but when Pittsburgh won the Cup in 2017 everyone said their defense was nothing special and that was without Kris Letang since he was injured. So I think the Leafs defense will be better next season and the reality is we don't know what changes they will make to it next season.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Why in every post do you keep claiming you want JT to sign with the Isles? Are you now suddenly an Islanders fan? You seemed awfully invested in the team with your frequent posts in Isles related threads...

On the main boards, I'm a neutral fan! Hurr hurr.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Only way Leafs even entertain signing Tavares is if they also plan on moving out one of Nylander/Marner for help on the back end.

This is the way I see it. Only way the Leafs are able to sign Tavares is if they move Nylander/Marner/Matthews for help on the back end.

Defence is the area that needs addressing. Not fwds.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Have you seen your own blue line? It won 2 cups, one of them without Letang not exactly filled with Norris winners.

When you have Crosby and Malkin you don't need a stacked Blue line.

If you got Matthews Tavares Kadri down the middle you don't need a stacked blue line.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I feel bad for NYI fans who are putting themselves through this. While there's a possibility JTs loyalty proves to be his top priority there is really no good reason for him to pick NYI over his other options. I mean the guy would be throwing away a massive chance to win a Cup just because its the team that drafted him.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
the penguins started winning once their team, especially their forwards started to commit to defense. dont see that happening in tornoto anytime soon.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not comparing their defenses to each other but when Pittsburgh won the Cup in 2017 everyone said their defense was nothing special and that was without Kris Letang since he was injured. So I think the Leafs defense will be better next season and the reality is we don't know what changes they will make to it next season.

And if you watched that playoff run, that wasn't exactly the model for how you build (or want to play). The Pens won because their elite forwards were very, VERY opportunistic with scoring, and because Murray/Fleury played at a Conn Smythe level.

They were outshot and outchances almost every game that playoff run. That's not exactly the type of team you want to model yours after if you want a good chance at winning.

It's smarter to model your team after 99% of the Cup winners since the 2005 lockout who had a pretty good blueline instead of the 1 or 2 teams (Carolina's had a mediocre defense corps as well) that managed to win without a good defense.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is the way I see it. Only way the Leafs are able to sign Tavares is if they move Nylander/Marner/Matthews for help on the back end.

Defence is the area that needs addressing. Not fwds.
The Penguins still had Crosby, Malkin and Kessel on their salary cap and won back to back Stanley Cups.

The Lightning were able to re-sign Stamkos and Headman.

This notion that the Leafs need to trade Matthews, Marner or Nylander if they sign Tavares is crazy.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tried to dump a player coming off a 54 point year (career high) only making 4.5 against the cap for another two years? While they received a second and a third round pick in return, doesnt seem to me like they were trying to get rid of him for pennies.

As far as desperation goes, that is subjective based on the devils giving up two picks to acquire Johansson. The islanders could go a different direction than Grubauer, so I dont understand why there is a perception of vastly higher desperation from the islanders. Enough so that they would just have to go over the top for a guy who is on limbo with his current team.

I mean, the Caps goaltending situation is pretty much laid out and Grubauer is mostly the odd man out.

Hard to disagree with what you are saying. I guess we wait to find out how the saga ends.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not create a situation where you're paying Tavares 12 million a year and the press is contemplating switching him to wing after he makes a series of defensive blunders. Fit matters, and free cap space can be an asset. I think it's more intelligent to max the space for deals later than squander it for a piece that doesn't fit. Because the truth is that unless the Leafs somehow acquire Patrice Bergeron, JT isn't going to happily play wing.
I am trying to follow your logic but I cannot understand. Leafs have 2 center positions that need filling. Why would they put JT on wing?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Maybe all of them, maybe none of them. Pretty much all the teams in the Tavares sweepstakes - including your Leafs - are not guaranteed playoff contenders. Kings, Sharks, Blues, Sabres, Habs, Devils, Avs - whoever else is putting in an offer isn't that far ahead of us. You expect Toronto to be on this way higher tier than the Islanders, when in reality your front office seems plagued by negative rumors here and there. First Babcock and Matthews had a confrontation of some sorts. Now Matthews & Marner don't want to sign until they have to. We might be stealing your top assistant!

There's no guarantee that Toronto finishes ahead of the Islanders next season, especially considering the turmoil in Toronto contrasted with the stability brought by Lou to the Islanders. This article mentions Lou is using assets to upgrade this team, fix the holes. A core forward roster of Barzal, Lee, Bailey, Beauvillier, Eberle, with Bellows and potentially Ho-Sang fighting for spots in the lineup. So please, you go ahead predicting success and glory for your team, and doom and failure for ours.

There is no guarantee that any team finishes ahead of another in today's NHL.

I hope you guys do grab DJ Smith, he'd be a good hire.

I don't get why this bothers you so much, I've said Lou is a good hire, I've said Tavares is a top 5 center and hope he stays with you guys.

But when I point out some reasons as to why he leaves, you get all worked up. I'm on your side here, CodeE.

There is no denying if Tavares leaves for nothing, that guts you guys big time, no other way around it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And if you watched that playoff run, that wasn't exactly the model for how you build (or want to play). The Pens won because their elite forwards were very, VERY opportunistic with scoring, and because Murray/Fleury played at a Conn Smythe level.

They were outshot and outchances almost every game that playoff run. That's not exactly the type of team you want to model yours after if you want a good chance at winning.

It's smarter to model your team after 99% of the Cup winners since the 2005 lockout who had a pretty good blueline instead of the 1 or 2 teams (Carolina's had a mediocre defense corps as well) that managed to win without a good defense.
Either way they still won despite that, so if you add Tavares on a forward group that includes Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri and Marleau, the Leafs will have a legit chance to contend. Plus some people seem to be discounting Morgan Rielly at his improvement for the Leafs defense when non Leafs fans mention it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I feel bad for NYI fans who are putting themselves through this. While there's a possibility JTs loyalty proves to be his top priority there is really no good reason for him to pick NYI over his other options. I mean the guy would be throwing away a massive chance to win a Cup just because its the team that drafted him.

I feel bad because Snow didn't trade him at the deadline for a 1st rd pick atleast. The Isles would have 3 now if that was the case. This is the real feel bad if you are an Isles fan.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Tavares says he wants to play for your team, you make the room. Players like him don’t become available in the NHL, at least for assets that don’t go beyond cap space. Though, I can just imagine how much that would cause the media circus in Toronto to ramp up the “Trade Marner/Nylander for a defenseman” talk, probably wouldn’t be good for those guys.
You make the room depending on what that means. If it means moving Matthews, that would be insane for example. Marner on Nylander, if you think you can win soon, then yeah worth moving one for Tavares for them.

For Toronto, taking on Tavares means they pretty much have to move one of Nylander or Marner if they also want to improve D, which they desperately need to if they want to go deep.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You make the room depending on what that means. If it means moving Matthews, that would be insane for example. Marner on Nylander, if you think you can win soon, then yeah worth moving one for Tavares for them.

For Toronto, taking on Tavares means they pretty much have to move one of Nylander or Marner if they also want to improve D, which they desperately need to if they want to go deep.

Just as the Leafs were all in on Stamkos, they'll be all in on Tavares.

I think a lot of people would enjoy watching the Leafs if signed there, they're already one of the most entertaining teams in the league.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Just as the Leafs were all in on Stamkos, they'll be all in on Tavares.

I think a lot of people would enjoy watching the Leafs if signed there, they're already one of the most entertaining teams in the league.
Sure, but the point is to win not to be the most entertaining to watch. If they get Tavares they still need defense to push for a cup and they'll have very little cap space to make that happen unless they lose another piece that will hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad