Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Do you think there are agility and speed benefits to it and that's why he's not bulking up too much?

I don't think it's really a choice to be honest. Soccer and hockey players are generally cut and slimmer because they are on the ice and physiologically more in a natural athletic, runners body shape, because of the excess calorie burn.

He's got plenty of lean muscle on him and he's plenty strong, as are most hockey players. He's probably got a good body fat % and really cannot tell by looking at any athlete whats going on under the hood so to speak. Cardiovascularly, some people are just genetically superior and their Vo2 max is inherently greater than others. Its not something you really can train for.

And if you look at NFL athletes, they have to really stay on top of their diet to maintain a ridiculous body weight to compete with others in the game. It's a completely different animal. They are really the outliers in all of sports because they have to consume an insane amount of calories to keep it up (in addition to other supplements, legal and illegal that they ingest).

Look at the latest pics of Gronk that were released, he looks like a little teenager now. Also you may remember that players like Kreider and Hayes actually lost weight to get speedier at times in their careers, so yes getting too bulky inhibits flexibility and fast-twitch reaction times.

Reactions: haveandare

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because that's exactly what I was saying.....

I have no problem with optimism -- but cup contenders? Please...

We are probably not even a playoff team.

Lol...nitpicking at its finest. Touche.

Also, those higher scoring seasons were playing with Kane. I don't think he cracks 30 goals.

And 30 might be an arbitrary number, but I can already see people screaming 'we're paying him 11 million and he can't even score 30 goals!'.

Nash got eaten alive here and he scored 40+.

I think one person said we would be cup contenders if we get a 2C. One person and it's conditional.

Reactions: Krams

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think it's really a choice to be honest. Soccer and hockey players are generally cut and slimmer because they are on the ice and physiologically more in a natural athletic, runners body shape, because of the excess calorie burn.

He's got plenty of lean muscle on him and he's plenty strong, as are most hockey players. He's probably got a good body fat % and really cannot tell by looking at any athlete whats going on under the hood so to speak. Cardiovascularly, some people are just genetically superior and their Vo2 max is inherently greater than others. Its not something you really can train for.

And if you look at NFL athletes, they have to really stay on top of their diet to maintain a ridiculous body weight to compete with others in the game. It's a completely different animal. They are really the outliers in all of sports because they have to consume an insane amount of calories to keep it up (in addition to other supplements, legal and illegal that they ingest).

Look at the latest pics of Gronk that were released, he looks like a little teenager now. Also you may remember that players like Kreider and Hayes actually lost weight to get speedier at times in their careers, so yes getting too bulky inhibits flexibility and fast-twitch reaction times.

But Tarasenko is listed as an inch taller but like 60 pounds heavier, so Panarin is skinny by NHL player standards or Tarasenko is heavy, or both.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
But Tarasenko is listed as an inch taller but like 60 pounds heavier, so Panarin is skinny by NHL player standards or Tarasenko is heavy, or both.

Tarasenko is just a bigger dude and fills out easier. Who knows, his diet, metabolic rate, sleep habits may be completely different than Panarin's.

The point is, most of the time you cant say that the ideal hockey player should be 6'1 200 lbs. because there are so many internal and external factors that contribute to it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Panarin is in fantastic shape. Look at the vascularity in his arms and specifically in his thighs. Thats difficult to achieve. He has a very low body fat %. He has a very good diet and takes care of himself. Give me that any day, no matter what height and weight. Dude is ripped.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Panarin is in fantastic shape. Look at the vascularity in his arms and specifically in his thighs. Thats difficult to achieve. He has a very low body fat %. He has a very good diet and takes care of himself. Give me that any day, no matter what height and weight. Dude is ripped.

Vasy needs to work on his tan

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
People who get tattoos, (if they're doing it right) get them for themselves and no one else. So who cares what other people think when they see it. On top of that, if he really believes (or believed prior to getting westernized) that the war began in 41' and not 39', then he wouldn't see it as an issue. And other than his arms/hands, I'm not sure of a better visible location than on his thighs.

I have 20+ tattoos and nothing is more annoying than when people judge based on them. It's basically the same thing as judging someone based on looks such as hairstyle.
Sorry, but people over here are educated enough to know the difference between WW2 and the Великая Отечественная Война as it is called in Russia. I don't know how people can assume someone would firmly believe the WW2 started in 1941.

I also have no idea what you mean under the term "westernized" or assume someone can be "westernized" whatever that is and that should have happened to Panarin in particular.

And again, the war did begin in 1941 for the Soviet Union. And btw over general start and end dates of WW2 there are endless debates around which smaller conflict to include as part of the World War.

As for judging it is what it is. Our first impression is what we see. The question is how far you go with that judgement. I obviously accept the right of people to do with their bodies whatever they want, but I also have the right to have an opinion about that. Be it tattoos, haircuts or clothing. You also might have noticed I do not judge Panarin for having tattoos in general, i just have an opinion about this one in particular. For the record, I do find tattoos silly, but if people feel like it, it doesn't hurt anybody.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
I'm a Hawks fan but I watched Panarin play allot in Columbus. The guy should of easily had 100 pts last year even with all the turmoil of trade talk , his coach pissing him off and linemates not giving him the biscuit. He should of had 75 assists or more last year. He draws double coverage almost every shift and feeds the most awesome passes to wide open guys who can't finish. Atkinson was one who did well and was the primary beneficiary of Panarin setting him up all season long. The same goes for Seth Jones.
If the Rangers have guys who can light the lamp Panarin will give them all the chances they'll ever want to score. I wish he would shoot more as he could easily be a 35-40 goal scorer but he's a playmaker first and one of the best in the league. You guys are going to like him allot.
The crazy thing about Panarin is that the numbers don't tell the whole story. As good as his point totals are, they don't really measure the true extent of his talent. Every time he hits the ice, his line is a threat to score.

I think he could put up 100+ with the right linemates.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Not sure why the facepalm. I know that Russians know it started generally in 1939, but the Soviets came in in 1941. Most references to the war is to the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945. Considering that the war started in 1941, maybe be a bit of an exaggeration but not much. I remember getting my grandfather a pin and it was 1941-1945. Russians put a lot more emphasis on the war from the time they got involved than from 1939. I know this from experience of being Ukrainian. :facepalm: yourself.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Sorry, but people over here are educated enough to know the difference between WW2 and the Великая Отечественная Война as it is called in Russia. I don't know how people can assume someone would firmly believe the WW2 started in 1941.

My point is - if he is coming from the Russian perspective, his first thought when he sees those two years probably isn't 'WAR!' - like many Americans (or others in the West). I also don't take for granted that people know when wars begin and end. I actually think the majority of Americans (meaning over 50%) would get these dates wrong.

I also have no idea what you mean under the term "westernized" or assume someone can be "westernized" whatever that is and that should have happened to Panarin in particular.

This isn't hard to grasp. Someone who has their behavioral choices impacted by western culture. It is a basic phenomenon that followed with the expanse of the US' soft power in the years after world war 2 - and in Eastern Europe - after the fall of the Iron Curtain. Pretty basic concept. I moved to Poland and see it everywhere. I also have many friends from Ukraine and Russia. Those who grew up in the Russian based education system generally have some kind of 'educational shock' when they leave and begin learning what is taught in the west.

In regards to Panarin, I was referring to the fact that he very likely grew up focusing on the War as being relevant form 1941 on - or in simpler terms, from a Russian perspective. That quite possibly has changed (I have no idea how interested he is in history), when he began to spend more time in the West. Again, a common phenomenon I have witnessed with many of my friends and colleagues.

As for judging it is what it is. Our first impression is what we see. The question is how far you go with that judgement. I obviously accept the right of people to do with their bodies whatever they want, but I also have the right to have an opinion about that. Be it tattoos, haircuts or clothing. You also might have noticed I do not judge Panarin for having tattoos in general, i just have an opinion about this one in particular. For the record, I do find tattoos silly, but if people feel like it, it doesn't hurt anybody.

I'm not going to get into a debate as to whether or not tattoos are silly. I think if you get something like a Nazi symbol on your forehead, sure, you're asking to be judged. But 70+% of people 35 and under have tattoos. I'm not sure how old you are, but it seems like one of those generational divides where the older generation just can't understand the younger generation. That doesn't make it 'silly.' It just means there are differences that go beyond your perspective.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
My point is - if he is coming from the Russian perspective, his first thought when he sees those two years probably isn't 'WAR!' - like many Americans (or others in the West). I also don't take for granted that people know when wars begin and end. I actually think the majority of Americans (meaning over 50%) would get these dates wrong.

This isn't hard to grasp. Someone who has their behavioral choices impacted by western culture. It is a basic phenomenon that followed with the expanse of the US' soft power in the years after world war 2 - and in Eastern Europe - after the fall of the Iron Curtain. Pretty basic concept. I moved to Poland and see it everywhere. I also have many friends from Ukraine and Russia. Those who grew up in the Russian based education system generally have some kind of 'educational shock' when they leave and begin learning what is taught in the west.

In regards to Panarin, I was referring to the fact that he very likely grew up focusing on the War as being relevant form 1941 on - or in simpler terms, from a Russian perspective. That quite possibly has changed (I have no idea how interested he is in history), when he began to spend more time in the West. Again, a common phenomenon I have witnessed with many of my friends and colleagues.

I'm not going to get into a debate as to whether or not tattoos are silly. I think if you get something like a Nazi symbol on your forehead, sure, you're asking to be judged. But 70+% of people 35 and under have tattoos. I'm not sure how old you are, but it seems like one of those generational divides where the older generation just can't understand the younger generation. That doesn't make it 'silly.' It just means there are differences that go beyond your perspective.
1.I don't know about Americans. Russians wouldn't have those dates wrong a 1939-1945 is pretty common knowledge.

2.Oh my, what an epic overestimating the american soft power and the whole western values thing. But that's where that "western culture" fails. At understanding they only see the surface.

3. It's not about understanding and generations. At all. And way more than 70% of people do silly things and worse. That's sadly the world we built.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I know we are in cap purgatory now but the more it settles in that Artemi Panarin is a Ranger, the more excited I get.

This kid could put up 90 points. That doesnt happen for a Ranger. Then you think, **** - we got Kappo too. Unreal.

I dont want this summer to end.

We're not really in cap purgatory. We will be tight against the cap this year, in which we don't really have any expectation to compete or to absorb any additional salary, and next year probably slightly less tight, as other players probably get moved out. Probably looking at $4-$5 million in space next year without any really tough decisions or buyouts factored in (ie, moving on from Strome, Fast, etc, and bringing up ELC players).

In two years we are home free with lots of space, about $24 million opens up, while only having to extend Chytil and Andersson, mostly. Not including salary cap space increases, either.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah barring major leaps forward from some players and Calder caliber performances from Kakko AND Kravtsov, we're likely looking at another lottery pick. That's totally fine.

Not only is it fine, it's the hope, frankly.

I hope Panarin puts up 85 points, and Kakko and Kravtsov both look great, but that we keep a lid on the young D, especially Fox down in Hartford, let Staal, Smith and Shattenkirk soak up all the minutes, and suffer a lack of depth at forward after having lost Zucc, Hayes, Kreider, Namestnikov, and Vesey (despite adding Panarin, KK and VK). Another bottom 6 finish and another top center prospect for the organization.

That would be great.

Then next year with this lineup:

Panarin - Zibanejad - Kakko
Chytil - Byfield - Kravtsov
Andersson - Howden - Buchnevich
Lemieux - Nieves/vet center - Fast

We go on a deep playoff run!

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I know people hate me for it - but I would argue that would be ideal. Certainly more productive than coming in 9th or 10th.

Even coming in 9th or 10th, we probably will have ammo to move up to 6th or so and get a future #1 center in next year's stacked center draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll give my review as a Jackets fan. Even at that cap hit, Panarin is a great pick up for the Rangers. He's more valuable than his 80-some points would tell you. You might find it interesting that fans on the Jackets boards were evenly split on whether to keep Duchene at $8.5m, but when the Jackets were mounting their quixotic last minute bid to keep Panarin, it was nearly unanimous in favor of signing him. And this is when we thought it was $13m x 8!

As someone who lost a bunch of weight and is now trying to gain muscle I was struck by how skinny he was. Do you guys think it's just his body type or is it by design to keep his speed and agility?

He's in incredible shape. His core strength in particular is off the charts for his body weight. That helps him tremendously in maintaining balance and puck control. His battle level with multiple opponents on him is something to watch.

This team is still far-off from being a competitor. And in 2/3 years, we will need to start paying many of these kids on ELCs. If/when we start losing some players you really like, and even more so if Panarin begins to age sooner than later, you will see why many of us had concerns with signing him in the first place.

We have done a pretty good job so far at accelerating the rebuild, but as I've said in other places, we seem to have put the cart before the horse in signing Panarin. I would have waited to pursue a position of need once we had, you know, actually made the playoffs.

In my opinion, we are just as close to being Toronto as we are to properly rebuilding. But only time will tell.

I'd ordinarily agree, you wait until the team is in the right moment. But this is a franchise player. You don't get an opportunity to get someone like him for many years on end. And I would expect Artemi to age well. He has a lean build and rarely ever gets hit. And his mind for the game is worth a fortune alone.

I mean, not that I'm rooting for this. But there's a pretty damn good possibility we don't make the playoffs next year AND Panarin scores less than 30 goals.

This thread is pretty unbearable now because of all the insane optimism, but it will be completely unbearable then when people are destroying him for putting up his career averages.

He could put up 25-50-75 next year and you'll still love him. I'd expect closer to 95 pts if the powerplay is decent.

Considering he's never played with his potential linemates before, yeah, I'm going to err on the side of caution as well. But like others have said, what's done is done, and I'm still excited.

He's one of those players that makes a line. Dubois is a talent and will be a great player in his own right some day, but he's been an extremely raw kid with weak passing skills. Atkinson is a tunnel vision finisher. It didn't matter who was out there with Artemi, they scored. You could put him with Namestnikov and one of the rookie RWs and they'll be a dangerous scoring line. It might be more overall scoring if you don't put him with Zibby.

I'm a Hawks fan but I watched Panarin play allot in Columbus. The guy should of easily had 100 pts last year even with all the turmoil of trade talk , his coach pissing him off and linemates not giving him the biscuit. He should of had 75 assists or more last year. He draws double coverage almost every shift and feeds the most awesome passes to wide open guys who can't finish. Atkinson was one who did well and was the primary beneficiary of Panarin setting him up all season long. The same goes for Seth Jones.
If the Rangers have guys who can light the lamp Panarin will give them all the chances they'll ever want to score. I wish he would shoot more as he could easily be a 35-40 goal scorer but he's a playmaker first and one of the best in the league. You guys are going to like him allot.

Columbus had plenty of good finishers, the bigger issue, which you mentioned, is that there was little interplay with the puck going back to Panarin. The most common thing was Panarin smoothly took care of the zone exit and entry, drew a couple defenders out of position and then fed Atkinson or Dubois with a perfect set up. And those guys didn't miss much. Atkinson scored 35 with Dubinsky and Jenner, so it's not like he needs hundreds of sick feeds to score. The issues were that if Panarin had better passers to play with he could have scored another 5 or so goals, and if the PP was average, probably another 10 points.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
How exactly is anyone claiming that they are the smartest guys in the room or that they d not believe in JD?JG?

Again, unless I am confusing threads, can you clarify? Not seeing this.

Now I must be confusing threads because who is criticizing moves? Being realistic and being negative are two different things. Saying that this team is probably a bottom 10 team or a lottery team this year is what some believe. Exclaiming that this year the Rangers are a center away from being a Cup contender is what others believe. Me? I think they will be Cup contenders.....but not for a few more years.

Show me where someone is cursing this off season.

Yeah.....still not seeing this. What I am seeing is fabrication invented solely for the purpose of sneering at people.

You are much, much better than this

Dude this has NOTHING to do with "sneering" at people. It's just me showing a bit of annoyance at peeps like you and some of the other condesending "know it all's" in here who anytime someone in here states they either "think the team might just make the playoffs" or "wow...can't believe how quick this rebuild has morphed" it's a virtual guarantee that you and others like the know it all's you think you are, will immediately gang up on said poster and rain on that posters parade, burst his bubble with typical commentary like "we are much more of a lottery team than a playoff team"..." you are you delusional...everything would have to go right in order for us to make the playoffs"...yada yada yada.

So yeah I was voicing my displeasure at this non stop negativeness and put downs of people and feel it's enough.

Sure I don't think we are Cup ready just yet..said it many times and will say it again.

Do I think we can make the playoffs this year as a lower seed? Absolutely. And guess what...so do JD and JG and don't kid yourself as alot of the moves they made tho in line with the "rebuild" were also made to speed things up and where the playoffs are the goal THIS YEAR!!.

What a beautiful thing...eh? To make the playoffs, get the kids that kind of awesome experience and still keep building the club would be invaluable. Don't get much better actually. BTW: Curious did the Islanders not only make the playoffs but win the Metro last year after being predicted by "experts" after they lost Tavares, that they would wilt and die and be a last place type of team? Yeah that really happened. Rangers presently constituted have a better team than they do.

Plenty of questions in the Metro and in the Atlantic after Caps,TB,Boston,Tor and probably Florida but I want to see them do it for a few month before I coronate the Panthers as a playoff team but they should be. You get the point...it's not far fetched at all for us to make the playoffs this year and for you and others to think that and put us down for thinking this way is what is so frustrating to me and why I'm even spending a few minutes composing this.

Would making the lottery be a bad thing? Not necessarily but I'd be pretty damn dissapointed to be honest. My brakes are firmly pumped and if we end finishing as a lottery team as you project, something really bad happened that wasn't planned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad