Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Welcome to the Rangers!

I'll start off by saying I knew nothing about this guy when he signed but now reading everything I can about him I love the guy!

First off he is not a typical hockey player. Playing hockey is expensive, even in Russia. Most players come from families with some money - not Panarin. He comes from a backwater mining town in Russia where he was dirt poor and raised by his Grandparents. His Grandmother would sew his lunch & bus ticket money into his pants so he wouldn't lose it when gangsters tried to rob him on the way to the rink.

He could not afford equipment, so he got his gear from scavenging dumpsters and picking up sloppy seconds where he could. One of his pairs of skates were so big he had to wear sneakers inside them to be able to use them. And this is the incredible thing, they say having to make due with crap equipment is part of what made him so good. When he finally got decent skates he was flying.

The gloves he had found were worn through and he patched them with boot leather he could find. All the other kids made fun of him at the rink but he powered through. When he got a tryout at a good boarding school they fitted him with proper equipment and it was a revelation how he could suddenly feel the stick and puck in his hands so well. All those games with the thick boot leather on his hands were the equivalent of training with weights on a baseball bat or sprinting with a drag line behind you - he now had skills nobody else developed.

Now he's getting the payoff, could not have happened to a better guy. Looking forward to many good years

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yoinked from the Athletic roundtable on the signing:

"He’s proven to be an elite NHL talent not just in terms of putting points on the board, but also in driving play. He’s in the top one percent in the league in zone exits and he sits in the 99th percentile for successful zone entries. And it’s not just moving the puck where Panarin excels, he’s a creative playmaker who ranks in the top one percent for shot assists (setting up his teammates for shots of their own)."

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Screen-Shot-2019-07-01-at-12.30.39-PM.png

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yoinked from the Athletic roundtable on the signing:

"He’s proven to be an elite NHL talent not just in terms of putting points on the board, but also in driving play. He’s in the top one percent in the league in zone exits and he sits in the 99th percentile for successful zone entries. And it’s not just moving the puck where Panarin excels, he’s a creative playmaker who ranks in the top one percent for shot assists (setting up his teammates for shots of their own)."
Anything that keeps the stat heads happy!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
@SA16 to answer your question from the other thread before it got locked...

How does this structure affect his buyout?

signing bonuses must be paid no matter what, whether the guy plays or not. so only $1 mil base salary would apply to a buyout. so a buyout would only save you $666,667 against the cap plus $333,333 in dead space for each year bought out. so its buyout proof in that there is no benefit to buying him out

Reactions: SA16

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
The crazy thing about Panarin is that the numbers don't tell the whole story. As good as his point totals are, they don't really measure the true extent of his talent. Every time he hits the ice, his line is a threat to score.

I think he could put up 100+ with the right linemates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad