Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Are those beginning and end years of WWII for tattoos? I'm surprised it says 1939 since Russians only really consider the war starting 1941.
That is the most stupid thing Panarin did in his life so far. Those are actually his both grandpas' birth years. What was he thinking though as the reference you brought up would pop up in nearly everybody's mind way before anything else. The other thing is where he made them. Kinda odd. I mean I am obviously going to see my knees when? Every time I sit on my Iron Throne... in the toilet. Is that an appropriate time to remember your ancestors? I have my doubts.

The war did start in 1941 for the Soviet Union, not WW2, but what is called the the Great Fatherland War(to distinguish it from the Fatherland War of 1812 against Napoleon) which is a part of WW2. WW2 dates are 1939-1945 in whatever country though.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
That is the most stupid thing Panarin did in his life so far. Those are actually his both grandpas' birth years. What was he thinking though as the reference you brought up would pop up in nearly everybody's mind way before anything else. The other thing is where he made them. Kinda odd. I mean I am obviously going to see my knees when? Every time I sit on my Iron Throne... in the toilet. Is that an appropriate time to remember your ancestors? I have my doubts.

The war did start in 1941 for the Soviet Union, not WW2, but what is called the the Great Fatherland War(to distinguish it from the Fatherland War of 1812 against Napoleon) which is a part of WW2. WW2 dates are 1939-1945 in whatever country though.

People who get tattoos, (if they're doing it right) get them for themselves and no one else. So who cares what other people think when they see it. On top of that, if he really believes (or believed prior to getting westernized) that the war began in 41' and not 39', then he wouldn't see it as an issue. And other than his arms/hands, I'm not sure of a better visible location than on his thighs.

I have 20+ tattoos and nothing is more annoying than when people judge based on them. It's basically the same thing as judging someone based on looks such as hairstyle.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah in English it's "the great patriotic war". I have no idea where they got patriotic since fatherland is the direct translation. I do think it's kind of arrogant to consider the war starting when you enter the war. But whatever, the US thinks they actually won the war, so every country is arrogant when it comes to this type of shit.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
giphy.gif

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Havent posted in a very long time but catching up on these boards has me shaking my head

Our team has a boatload of young (a few potentially elite level talents) and picks. We then go out and sign a top 8 player in the league while giving away NOTHING and people on here complain. I’d love to meet some of you. Holy shit!

This team after this offseason is 1 center away from being a cup competitor. PERIOD. All in 2 years. Stop your bitching

My only concern is not enough toughness in our top 6 for the playoff war

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
As someone who lost a bunch of weight and is now trying to gain muscle I was struck by how skinny he was. Do you guys think it's just his body type or is it by design to keep his speed and agility?

We had a discussion about this in another thread, forgot which one. Hockey players are in a league of their own (closer to soccer players really) when it comes to physical stature. You dont have to be jacked to play the game at a high level. Look at Kessel, Byfuglien. Even a recent picture of Zibanejad who is a big power forward showed skinny arms with little definition. Some guys just have superior balance and motor skills and when you combine that with a fine skillset and awareness of any game you get a special athlete.

It definitely helps to be a gym rat but you can do tons of hockey specific exercises and train specifically using explosive movements to achieve a better result on the ice, but its really half the battle. Panarin is in very good shape. JD and others have said, without asked, that he is in tremendous shape and works hard off the ice. His mental will to be the best and his love for the game is all I need to hear to know he will be as durable a player as he can be.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We had a discussion about this in another thread, forgot which one. Hockey players are in a league of their own (closer to soccer players really) when it comes to physical stature. You dont have to be jacked to play the game at a high level. Look at Kessel, Byfuglien. Even a recent picture of Zibanejad who is a big power forward showed skinny arms with little definition. Some guys just have superior balance and motor skills and when you combine that with a fine skillset and awareness of any game you get a special athlete.

It definitely helps to be a gym rat but you can do tons of hockey specific exercises and train specifically using explosive movements to achieve a better result on the ice, but its really half the battle. Panarin is in very good shape. JD and others have said, without asked, that he is in tremendous shape and works hard off the ice. His mental will to be the best and his love for the game is all I need to hear to know he will be as durable a player as he can be.

Do you think there are agility and speed benefits to it and that's why he's not bulking up too much?

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Havent posted in a very long time but catching up on these boards has me shaking my head

Our team has a boatload of young (a few potentially elite level talents) and picks. We then go out and sign a top 8 player in the league while giving away NOTHING and people on here complain. I’d love to meet some of you. Holy ****!

This team after this offseason is 1 center away from being a cup competitor. PERIOD. All in 2 years. Stop your *****ing

My only concern is not enough toughness in our top 6 for the playoff war

Yikes, what a post. Respect those who differ from you. I know a lot of people wanted Panarin and congrats to them. I still see it as a potential mistake.

First, we gave away a huge percentage of our cap, so acting like we gave up nothing, is not accurate.

Also, if you think this team is a cup contender with a left defense that consists of some combination of Staal, Smith, Skjei and Hajek/Lindgren, I don't know what to tell you.

This team is still far-off from being a competitor. And in 2/3 years, we will need to start paying many of these kids on ELCs. If/when we start losing some players you really like, and even more so if Panarin begins to age sooner than later, you will see why many of us had concerns with signing him in the first place.

We have done a pretty good job so far at accelerating the rebuild, but as I've said in other places, we seem to have put the cart before the horse in signing Panarin. I would have waited to pursue a position of need once we had, you know, actually made the playoffs.

In my opinion, we are just as close to being Toronto as we are to properly rebuilding. But only time will tell.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah in English it's "the great patriotic war". I have no idea where they got patriotic since fatherland is the direct translation. I do think it's kind of arrogant to consider the war starting when you enter the war. But whatever, the US thinks they actually won the war, so every country is arrogant when it comes to this type of ****.
It truly must be summer.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This team after this offseason is 1 center away from being a cup competitor. PERIOD. All in 2 years. Stop your *****ing
All right, all right, all right. Now that you have put your foot down and said "PERIOD", I see the error of my ways and declare the Rangers an instant contender and only a center away from competing for the Cup. How could I have not understood this before?

Reactions: Miamipuck

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I mean, not that I'm rooting for this. But there's a pretty damn good possibility we don't make the playoffs next year AND Panarin scores less than 30 goals.

This thread is pretty unbearable now because of all the insane optimism, but it will be completely unbearable then when people are destroying him for putting up his career averages.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think if we are expecting 30 goals from Panarin is a bit high. I'm hoping for 25-28 goals and 75-80 points. This team is not an offensive juggernaut right now

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Considering he's never played with his potential linemates before, yeah, I'm going to err on the side of caution as well. But like others have said, what's done is done, and I'm still excited.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mean, not that I'm rooting for this. But there's a pretty damn good possibility we don't make the playoffs next year AND Panarin scores less than 30 goals.
I was just thinking this. Add Panarin's last year, subtract Kreider's and this is still a bottom 10 team with a chance to be lottery.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I was just thinking this. Add Panarin's last year, subtract Kreider's and this is still a bottom 10 team with a chance to be lottery.

I don't see how we make the playoffs with a full season of Stome/Chytil at 2C and a LHD that still looks atrocious.

Even if we assume Kakko, Kravtsov and Fox produce very nicely.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see how we make the playoffs with a full season of Stome/Chytil at 2C and a LHD that still looks atrocious.

Even if we assume Kakko, Kravtsov and Fox produce very nicely.
No matter how Kakko & Kravstov produce, I doubt they out do the production of Hayes and Zucc.

The reality is also that they may well be playing Shattenkirk a lot in the beginning to drive up his trade value. So if he and Staal are on the ice for a chunk of time, that does not fix the D. Which means that even if Panarin repeats his year, they may still be a lottery team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->